Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:28:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

PlanePlotter Version 6.4.6.3 Released

Started by Anmer, November 05, 2017, 03:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

Message from Bev at COAA:

Hi,

PlanePlotter version 6.4.6.3 is on the web site today.

http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter6_4_6_3.exe

This release improves the success rate of Mlats in areas with few Ground Stations.
If you have run a test version of this, please download the new version as there are more changes.

---Usual boilerplate---

Updates are free to registered users. You may need to exercise your browser Refresh function to force it to show you the new version of the PlanePlotter web page. If you post a message complaining that the web site is still pointing to an earlier version, you pay a forfeit!
You can install the new version over the old one but you *must* close/exit PlanePlotter before installing the new one. Your settings will be preserved. Nic's installer will warn you if PlanePlotter is still running when you try to install the new version.
If you have a version-specific firewall (eg Zone Alarm), you may have to reassure it that the new version is permitted to access the Internet. Be aware that an increasing number of security systems treat any new file as a threat without any justification except that it is new. Please don't write to me about it; write to your security system provider and ask them to make their program smarter.
If you have an installation of PlanePlotter running under Linux/Wine, this installer may not run. In that case (only), please download : http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter6_4_6_3.zip and unzip the files into the existing PlanePlotter application directory. Note that this will only work if PlanePlotter is already installed under Wine as it only contains the new executable and not all the other files (SQB etc.) that are required to run the program.
-----------

New in version 6.4.6.3

Mlat improvement

Master Users in areas with few Ground Stations may find that this version is more successful. Previously PlanePlotter invited up to 30 GSs within 90 nm to provide raw data for a putative Mlat fix. In this version, if there are rather few GS within that 90 nm limit, then PlanePlotter extends the net to 180 nm to gain more GS for the process. This feature will not be invoked in those areas where there are abundant GSs but in areas where GSs are rather thinly spread, it should improve the success rate considerably.

IATA ICAO conversion update

The SQB database that PP uses to convert IATA flight codes (eg. used in ACARS messages) to ICAO flight codes (eg. used in Mode-S message) has been updated.

Help..Test networking..Check own LAN IP address updated

This function, that is used in setting up port forwarding, has been revised in order to make it easier to interpret the results. Please let me know if there are any wrinkles with this as it may be language dependent.

Sharing Inmarsat GES codes

This version will show the GES codes for Inmarsat-derived aircraft reports that arrive via sharing. Previously the GES code was only seen by users receiving their own Inmarsat data locally.

In parallel with this, there is a new check box in Options..Chart..Options to colour code the permanent trail dots for Inmarsat-derived reports in order to show which satellite delivered the data.

www.coaa.co.uk/Inmarsat-traffic.jpg shows an example of this feature in use.

Enjoy!
Regards
Bev
COAA

Here to Help.

IanH

<rant>

Why can't "coaa@server.coaa.co.uk" send out an e-mail telling users a new version is available instead of the reprimand "Please check your version of PlanePlotter" telling you your existing version is out of date?

They obviously have our e-mail addresses and not everyone checks forums for latest updates.

"Arse about face" to use an old phrase!

</rant>

Anmer

I always get an email.  That's what I use to post the message.
Here to Help.

Triple7

Well ...... technically, Bev posts to the PP forum and if you are a member of that group and elect to receive an email each time someone posts, then yes, you get an email. But if you are not a member of the group or only get a digest email, you won't necessarily realise a new version is available.

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Anmer

Instead of sending an email, why doesn't the PP app offer you the option to upgrade?

95% of my software does.
Here to Help.

Triple7

Quote from: Anmer on November 15, 2017, 08:12:48 AM
why doesn't the PP app offer you the option to upgrade?

I think that was asked for years ago, I don't remember the reply specifically, but something about backwards compatibility I think. Which made no sense as surely from version x.x.x.x you just introduce the feature, if people don't upgrade, they don't get that option.

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Anmer

Ignoring the method of communication, today's option is to upgrade or not.

95% of my software offers just that when a new version is made available. So I'm not sure about "backwards compatibility"?

As I've said many times before, PP is a feature rich product, possibly too much these days, that suffers from poor packaging.

Less than 1,000 active sharers compared to 15,000 on FlightAware and 15,000 on FR24.
Here to Help.

Roadrunner

Despite what you say about numbers, I prefer Plane Plotter. It  is also basically a one-man-band, whereas the others you mention are not. I know that can have a lot of downsides, as shown by the untimely passing of Gary from Active Display that left a great add-on in difficulties.

Regards Mike

Anmer

Quote from: Roadrunner on November 15, 2017, 01:53:59 PM
Despite what you say about numbers, I prefer Plane Plotter.

As do many others.  I just think it suffers from poor "packaging".

I once mentioned the "one-man band" scenario and immediately received a very unwelcome message from Bev, almost up to Brandao's standard.

But I stand by my observation.
Here to Help.