Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 05:36:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Questions for Sergsero re: ModeSMixer2 with configuration file

Started by Andos, January 09, 2018, 09:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andos

Hi Sergsero/ All,
                        I have been reading several threads regarding both ModeSDeco2 & ModeSMixer2 and have been trying to decide which would be the most ideal for my specific requirements.  As a result of this, I have now presented myself with a double-edged sword as it looks like ModeSMixer2 would be the solution for my first dilemma and ModeSDeco2 would be the solution for the second one.

Before I explain, here are my equipment details:

Acer Switch 10E laptop running Windows 10 32-bit;
SBS-1er running BaseStation ver 184
ADUSBS Utilty software which feeds my Seen/ Required details to my BaseStation from my ADU Software database.

The 1st dilemma:

I notice that ModeSMixer2 supports Routes and has a FlightRoutes.sqb file.  I was wondering how to add an editable FlightRoutes-type sqb file to my BaseStation.sqb file but I would like feed the Routes information to the Generic Name fields (Field 13) instead of the Popular Name fields (Field 20).  The reason why I wish to use the Generic Name fields is because my Popular Name fields are already being used by my ADUSBS Utility program. 

Would I be right in assuming that the Flight Number/ Callsign information received from the aircraft is then associated to the Flight ID in the FlightRoutes.sqb file to then display the Routes information in BaseStation?

If so, could you please instruct me on how to change this so that the information displays in the Generic Name fields in BaseStation instead of the Popular Name fields?

I wish to create my own Routes information table that I can manually enter new route information into as most of the information will only be local to air traffic transitting UK airspace.

I am not very knowledgeable of SQL but am willing to have a go. 

I have already posed a similar question on the forum but that was to search for a program solution for this problem.  This query is to try and edit and modify my BaseStation.sqb file to contain a FlightRoutes.sqb file that I can add route information to.

The 2nd dilemma:

I have been looking at the ModeSDeco2 threads and it seems that this would be the ideal solution for me to use my FlightAware Pro Plus dongle directly plugged into my laptop to feed my BaseStation, but looking through the threads on the forum, the questions all seem to refer to feeding an online service which is not what I wish to do as I have a Raspberry Pi3 for that.

What sort of configuration would be required for me to achieve this?  Bearing in mind that I do not wish for the configuration to cause any conflicts with my ADUSBS Utility software which feeds my Seen/Required details to my BaseStation directly from my ADU Software database program.

Do you think that having both ModeSMixer2 and ModeSDeco2 installed on my setup would cause any problems that you could think of?

Andos.

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]
Andos.

IanH

Your second question is straightforward.

Modesdeco2 will feed almost anything, either locally or over the internet.

To feed BaseStation from a Flightaware dongle attached to the laptop  you could try this:
C:\modesdeco2.exe --sbs10001 10001

Adjust that code depending on where you unzip modesdeco2.
In BaseStation software, under Settings/Hardware Setting/Network tab, the Address needs to be 127.0.0.1 and the Port should be 10001.

That should work. ;D

There are lots of other options to modesdeco2 but most are not relevant to you.

There are no problems running modesdeco2 and modesmixer2 at the same time - sometimes it is necessary to do a conversion.

But modesdeco2 also has flight route database option!

Andos

Quote from: IanH on January 10, 2018, 10:55:25 AM
Your second question is straightforward.

Modesdeco2 will feed almost anything, either locally or over the internet.

To feed BaseStation from a Flightaware dongle attached to the laptop  you could try this:
C:\modesdeco2.exe --sbs10001 10001

Adjust that code depending on where you unzip modesdeco2.
In BaseStation software, under Settings/Hardware Setting/Network tab, the Address needs to be 127.0.0.1 and the Port should be 10001.

That should work. ;D

There are lots of other options to modesdeco2 but most are not relevant to you.

There are no problems running modesdeco2 and modesmixer2 at the same time - sometimes it is necessary to do a conversion.

But modesdeco2 also has flight route database option!
Hi Ian,
            thanks for your reply.

"To feed BaseStation from a Flightaware dongle attached to the laptop  you could try this:
Code:

C:\modesdeco2.exe --sbs10001 10001"

Where do I put this code?

Andos.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Andos.

Triple7

I wrote some notes about how to set up MD2 and MM2 in this thread:

https://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,2978.msg24197.html#msg24197

It might give you some pointers but as both programs are Console (Command Line) Programs, you need a batch file to set the parameters.

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Andos

Quote from: Triple7 on January 11, 2018, 07:46:34 AM
I wrote some detain about how to set up MD2 and MM2 in this thread:

https://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,2978.msg24197.html#msg24197

It might give you some pointers but as both programs are Console (Command Line) Programs, you need a batch file to set the parameters.

Tim
Thanks Tim!
                       Pardon my ignorance but I keep seeing references to .bat files.  How do I get these to work?  Do I run these first and then run BaseStation or do I run these instead of BaseStation?

Also,  a lot of these .bat files seem to imply that I need to feed to the internet.  Or am I reading this wrong?

Is there not a batch file that I could use that would simply allow me to create a FlightRoute.sqb that would populate the routes in BaseStation using the Generic Name fields instead of the Popular Name fields? 

I would like to be able to manually enter my own Flight numbers and Routes into the FlightRoute.sqb for them to display in BaseStation without online lookups.  Do you know if this is possible?

I know you have previously suggested that I can use ModeSDeco to also populate Routes but I really do not know where to begin?  I am an absolute newbie when it comes to this sort of thing.  Please be patient with me[emoji6]

Andos.

Andos.

IanH

Ok, I probably assumed too much. So let's go in small steps. Don't worry about the examples connecting to the internet - those are just options you can ignore. A bat file is simply a batch file where you can combine commands to run one after the other.

Download the Windows version of modesdeco2 (looks like current version is modesdeco2_windows_20170127.zip)

On your C: drive create a folder called Radar (or whatever you want to call it). Unzip the contents of that file into the Radar folder - there should be 7 files in there).

There is an example batch file provided called modesdeco2_example.bat. Open that in Notepad by right clicking on file and selecting 2nd option "Edit". It should look like this:
@echo off
cmd /c modesdeco2.exe --gain 49.6 --freq-correction 62 --location 32.51:104.98 --web 8088 --db D:\data\basestation.sqb --frdb D:\data\flightroute.sqb --silhouettes D:\data\silhouettes --pictures D:\data\pictures --beast 10003 --msg 30003 --sbs10001 10001 --metric
PAUSE
exit

You are now going to delete the options you don't need for a simple test of whether it works. The test version should look like this - make sure there are two -- in front of sbs10001:
@echo off
cmd /c modesdeco2.exe --sbs10001 10001
PAUSE
exit

Save the changed file.

Double click on that bat file and it should open a window and modesdeco2 will start. If there are error messages let us know.

One possible error is described in the modesdeco2.txt file:

QuoteWhen you run this version of modesdeco2.exe you can get an error that msvcp140.dll and msvcr140.dll are missing in your OS.
Please, download the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 from the Microsoft site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=48145. Or select your language.

If data starts scrolling up the screen, try starting Basestation, checking the settings I mentioned previously and see if data is displayed.

To stop modesdeco2, press Ctrl-C.

If this works, we can work on getting more complicated!

Ian

Andos

OK Ian,
             I shall do this when I get home.  I'm away from SBS for a couple of days now.  Where do I download it from please?

Andos.
Andos.

IanH

It should be at the front of the big thread on here about Modesmixer2. And indeed it is:

https://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,2978.msg13471.html#msg13471

The file is on Google drive - the download button is at top right when you get there.

Andos

Quote from: IanH on January 11, 2018, 03:07:46 PM
It should be at the front of the big thread on here about Modesmixer2. And indeed it is:

https://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,2978.msg13471.html#msg13471

The file is on Google drive - the download button is at top right when you get there.
OK thanks Ian,
                           I'll let you know how I get on. 

Andos.

Andos.

Andos

Ok Ian,
            I have downloaded modesdeco2_windows_20170127.zip and extracted 7 files to a folder on C: called FAD  (C:\FAD) I have edited the file so it now reads:

@echo off
cmd /c modesdeco2.exe --sbs10001 10001
PAUSE
exit

Saved and closed it.

When I double-click on the file to run it receive the attached screen:

Andos.

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]
Andos.

IanH

Can't see a screenshot.

But I guess it's not working so I need to try it out for myself. I have used modesdeco2 previously but not at the moment - maybe my instructions missed something.  :(

Anmer

Here to Help.

Triple7

Looks to me like the device is already in operation. Maybe Windows has installed its own drivers for the dongle - maybe try the Zadig drivers instead. Are you running another program to decode the incoming data from the dongle?

http://zadig.akeo.ie/

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

IanH

I can see it now.  ???

And Tim has pre-empted my response  ;D

I'm never sure whether Zadig is needed for modesdeco2 - probably because it is usually already installed fro other programs.

Certainly in Linux one has to ensure the system drivers for the DVB-T dongle are blacklisted so that is probably what Zadig effectively does in Windows.

Andos

Quote from: Triple7 on January 15, 2018, 01:34:51 PM
Looks to me like the device is already in operation. Maybe Windows has installed its own drivers for the dongle - maybe try the Zadig drivers instead. Are you running another program to decode the incoming data from the dongle?

http://zadig.akeo.ie/

Tim
Hi Tim/Ian/Anmer,   
                                  I'm not sure but the program I use to populate my missing fields  into BaseStation is ADUSBS Utility.  It takes the  populating data from my ADU Software database including my Seen/Required details. 

Could this be it ?

Andos.

Andos.