Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:41:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Small 1090 MHz PCB antenna

Started by F5ANN, August 22, 2012, 03:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gyzmok

Quote from: Anmer on October 29, 2013, 08:12:56 PM
I've used a masthead preamp for many years and no MLAT issues.

Thanks Anmer, thats reassuring.
I use a simple satellite pre-amp and I am happy with the reception range.
But had some doubts about the MLAT performance.

Radio2.0

>>> I looking for People who want exchange the VRS Data with me. <<<
I life near LOWW / VIE and see Ground Traffic too.

mezoo

Hi Everybody,

My GNS USB receiver with its mag-mount antenna have accompanied me on many business trips and were used in many hotels from Singapore to Sao Paulo. Travel and various more or less discrete 'hotel installations' have taken their toll and both are a bit worse for wear. In particularly the antenna cable probably got snagged once to often in the windows and I suspect doesnt make a good connection any more. The magnet in the base also broke into a number of pieces during a fall from a window sill.

So I was looking into replacing the mag-mount antenna when I saw that "1090 MHZ-SHOP by jetvision.de" was offering the F5ANN antenna and decided to order one. It costs €59.90 plus delivery and VAT. It arrived within a few days and makes a very sturdy impression. It also came with a very massive mast clamp which is probabbly more suited for a permanent installation. As it doesnt have a base to stand on I am still trying to figure out the best way to attach it to a window or railing. Duct tape might be the answer - but the cleaning lady will probably have a fit  8)

However it has a very sturdy antenna cable which should resist snagging much better than the soft insulation on other antenna cables.

I have only been able to test it now and again.
But the first impressions are very good. I just put it on the outside our inclined roof window and already see a reception of up to 150km with the GNS receiver. With framerates easily over 5000fpm according to sprut's ADSBscope programme. As the neighbouring houses are in the way the reception is obviously not optimal - just like in most downtown hotels. :(

My next step will be to put in up on the roof. I still have two dongles (courtesy of SDR Guru) and will run a test with the F5ANN antenna attached to one dongle and one dongle with its normal antenna. Then later - if I am brave enough and the weather is dry again - I will attach it to my antenna mast and use my Beast receiver to compare it to the SSE1090SJ antenna.

I will post my results

Best regards
Mezoo

Bethsalem

Looking forward to your results.

I have a pre-production F5ANN antenna which I have stuck to my window with bluetack, and which feeds my dongles via 5 metres of H155 coax.

Having used a Radarbox antenna, an SBS-1er antenna, a microADSB antenna, and one other no-name, indoors, I've found the F5ANN antenna to be the best, not absolutely in terms of range, but certainly in numbers of aircraft it detects.

Stephen

mezoo

Today I managed to keep everything running all day.
Attached are the range and frame-rates as shown by ADSBscope.
I am located close to EDLW.

(You can also see me repositioning the antenna a few times in the morning.  :)

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

mezoo

Hello everybody,

the F5ANN antenna has been running now for about one week.
I set up two dongles, one attached to the F5ANN antenna, the other to its own mag antenna.
Both were positioned higher on the roof than in my first test. I tried to get them at the same height but did not quite succeed.
They are also not at the top of the roof but about 1.5m lower, so that the view to the south is blocked slightly.

Below you can find the settings from the RTL1090 programmes and the range plots from sprut' adsbscope programme.
According to the adsbscope programme the frame rate with the F5ANN was about 1000-1500fpm higher than that of the mag antenna. This programme always calculates much higher framerates than PP.

To my location. Our house is about 130m above sea level.
To the north there are the german lowlands which are almost flat allmost the way to the sea.
We are on a rise, but unfortunately not at the highest point with the the terrain behind the house still rising to the south.
Further south the hills go up to about 400m and they block my view in the direction of Frankfurt.
To the west (Amsterdam) there is a slight incline and some large trees which make reception possible but difficult.

With this topography the large range to the north is not exceptional.
Picking up planes to the south and west is more of a challenge.
In this the F5ANN is very good.
Reception goes allmost all the way to Amsterdam in the west and south as far as Cologne.
The dongle with its small mag antenna is lacking in these areas.
The difference in reception is most noticable at lower altitudes.

What is not evident from the range plots is that the F5ANN picks up the planes much earlier or at a lower altitude and can track them for much longer. Which indicates the much higher sensitivity of the F5ANN antenna.

Due to the high traffic in the last week I had the impression that the dongles got overloaded at some times and just stopped working.
It could however also be that the USB cable reached its limit.
All three ADSB receivers connect to the PC with one active USB cable with a powered hub.

On all images the dongle with the F5ANN antenna is on the left, the dongle with the mag antenna on the right.
To show the max. possible reception at my location I have included a PP chart with perm trails from my Transponder Mouse ("Beast") and its SME antenna. However this antenna is mounted higher and is less obstructed than the test antennas.

My next step will be to put the GNS receiver, which has more processing power than a dongle, up on the roof and repeat the test.
I will also try to get the antennas into a better location e.g. which is not blocked by the chimney.

Currently I am very pleased with the F5ANN antenna. 8)

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

north borneo radar

good detailed reported mezoo... A report that confirms the ability of the PCB antenna. What amazes is such a small thing can achieve so much.

I am waiting for the release of the active PCB antenna. Quite looking forward to testing it... should be good.

Also.. I use the F5ANN PCB antenna to listen to air band too as I live about 3 miles away from the airport. Can listen to ground tower director clearly. Just cannot get radar clearly to my disappointment. It used to be audible but not anymore even with my airband hand held receiver. puzzled.

PD0G

Quote from: viking9 on March 16, 2013, 10:21:56 AM
300nm! Only in unusually excellent tropo lift conditions.

Can someone tell me what is meant by NM.
Is NM visible on the map? or should NM be calculated?
Gerton PD0G

Anmer

Here to Help.