Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 10:00:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Aircraft photos in AcarsDeco2 web GUI?

Started by Keef, April 30, 2018, 04:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef

Probably something obvious I'm missing but I can't seem to get aircraft photos to display in the web GUI.

I have silhouettes and operator flags displaying OK but can't get photos, it just displays a generic 'empty.jpg' image.

I've tried with .jpg and .bmp files in the specified folder and formatting the registration as, for example, G-YMMA and GYMMA but still can't get photos displaying.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Cheers,

Keef.

sergsero

Hi Keef,

If you have connected VRS as a source of additional data about the flight (altitude, speed and so on), it can be an old bug of the program, when the source of images is also switched to aircraft's pictures from the VRS' local collection.

You can easily check it. When you right-click on the real image of aircraft (not 'empty.jpg') in browser you can select a View Image option. Clicking on that option will opens the image in the active tab window and you will see the URL to your VRS.

I am going to fix this issue. Before that, you can use your local collection of aircraft pictures by putting it in VRS.

Best regards,
sergsero

Keef

Hi Sergsero,

Thanks for the quick response and explanation.
I have added the pictures folder to the VRS config and can see pictures in the web GUI now.

Cheers,

Keef.

Nigel

Hi Keef

Please could you let me know how you have added the pictures folder to the VRS config statement in the bat file? I get all the data about the flight from VRS but can't fathom out how to get the pictures.

Many thanks

Nigel

Keef

Hi Nigel,

I set the folder options in VRS  using the Tools | Options | Data Sources menu, see attached .jpg
I then declared the folder in the batch file as follows:

--pictures C:\Temp\JPGphotos

along with the URL/Port I had set for VRS, in my case

--vrs-url http://127.0.0.1:33333

I created a separate folder for the photos as I use REG_A.jpg and REG_B.jpg formats in my Basestation folder so I can display 2 photos in the Aircraft Display window. AcarsDeco will look for just REG.jpg so I needed to make a new directory with appropriate file names.

Hope that helps a bit,

Cheers,

Keef.

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

Nigel

Hi Keef

Many thanks for the advice...all working fine and now with photos.

Thank you also to Sergsero for some great and, generally, user friendly software

Nigel

Keef

Good to hear you've got it working.

And my thanks again to sergsero for putting in the effort to give us the software.

Cheers,

Keef.

DRL

I am using the latest Acarsdeco2 which works well, I feed the messages to PlanePlotter no problem.

I read where the command line switch --vrs-url http://127.0.0.1:XXXX would fetch AC images from Virtual Radar for display on the web GUI.

I have pointed Acarsdeco2 (on the command line) to various PP folders for other images so the GUI is quite well populated between the two sources. But I cannot get the AC photo images from VRS to populate the GUI.

Does anyone know how to get the AC Images using VRS?
Does anyone know where I could get the img files to populate a folder (the other solution)?

Here is what I have so far. Acarsdeco3, PP and VRS are all latest versions. I believe the AC photo would display in top left corner instead of the stock image.

[attachment deleted reduce file load]

Anmer

I don't use VRS but have you got aircraft photos in the target folder, with suitable file names to display for the relevant aircraft?
Here to Help.

DRL

It seems that VRS accesses an online repository and grabs the photos for display only as required on the fly and does not save them anywhere, I had guessed that Acarsdeco2 would access these through the connection it has to VRS.

I am pretty sure the connection is valid because if I provide a bogus connect port it complains with each decode that it cannot access the remote resource, when I correct this it is happy and throws no errors.

I think I don't properly get how deco3 gets images, the folder I have for it has no images - which is my main problem (probably) and I have no clue where there would be any for download.

So if anyone has clues I would love to hear them -- thanks.

DRL

Quote from: Keef on May 01, 2018, 02:27:01 PM
Hi Sergsero,

Thanks for the quick response and explanation.
I have added the pictures folder to the VRS config and can see pictures in the web GUI now.

Cheers,

Keef.

Can someone explain what images are in the pictures folder (I have the folder) I have been to the very end of the internet trying to find a source of aircraft thumbnail images named correctly for use in ACARSdeco2. They are on par with hens teeth.

I was hoping VRS would have a checkbox to save displayed aircraft images.
I was hoping a fellow hobbyist somewhere had located a download source.
I connected ACARSdeco2 to VRS to enable sharing data including the images from VRS

Plus anything else I could think of (and that is plenty believe me)

Anyway I have so far drawn an absolute blank on how to acquire aircraft thumbnail images to put into the pictures folder.
Or how to have ACARSdeco2 share from VRS

Anyone who can shed any light  - I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you.
D

Anmer

Whilst I can't answer your question I may be able to explain the problem - copyright.

An early and very good app called Flight Display could download thumbnails from three different aircraft photo websites, naming them to a convention and storing them in a local folder.  However, the author was concerned about copyright and subsequently disabled the feature.
Here to Help.

Hilly

Hello fellow spotters,

I was wondering if it was possible to display flight routes in Acarsdeco2, in the main folder there is a folder called datasets within there there are several notepad documents (acars_mls.txt/aircrafts_p.txt/aircrafts_s.txt/airlines.text) all these documents can be edited if you wish to change or update aircraft as and when they call up on the live screen, but there is no flight route document i have tried all ways to get flight route information to display but nothing seems to work can it be done or am i flogging a dead horse hope someone can help...

Many thanks Hilly..