Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:09:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

planeplotter home location setup

Started by frazer macfadyen, June 12, 2018, 01:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frazer macfadyen

Hello all. I am losing the plot  setting this up 
every time I enter co-ordinates ..I get errors  for example
pp say it's  should look like this  N53 40.7028    E001 59.4597

I'm entering mine in the same format  it says there a decimal error . so I remover the decimal point and get nothing

Anmer

You may not want to share your location coordinates which is understandable.

Maybe try entering a different location, say Cardiff airport just to test the format?

Latitude N51 23.5180
Longitude W003 20.5096

Then choose the Test button.

This works for me.
Here to Help.

Triple7

From the PP help file:

Your home location, strictly the antenna location, should be entered in degrees and decimal minutes e.g something like N54 55.9813 and W02 13.3166
i.e. in the format AXX YY.ZZZZ, where:-
A can ONLY be N, or E, or W or S.
XX is the latitude North or South of the equator in degrees using a whole number between 0 & 90 - Use 2 digits with a leading zero if req'd. Do NOT use a minus sign for West or South of the Greenwich meridian or Equator YY.ZZZZ is a number between 0 & 59.9999
Some systems show location in degrees, minutes and seconds e.g. N55 55 56 - note that this is NOT the same place as N55 55.5600.
PlanePlotter will correctly handle the degrees/minutes/seconds format but in that case you must have precisely two spaces in the entry. The seconds can have decimal places if you need that precision.
PlanePlotter will also handle degrees and decimal degress and in that case, no space should appear in the coordinates.
Valid examples:
N09 43.6876 E00 7.2830
S19 43.1232 W32 19.9683
INVALID examples:
-19 43 12 32 (leading sign, no NSEW letter and four fields)
or
-19º 43' 12" (leading sign, no NSEW letter and degree-minute-seconds symbols.

As noted above, PP can handle several different formats and converts internally to the one PP requires. You may be confusing degrees, minutes and seconds from degrees and decimal minutes.

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

frazer macfadyen

Hi Anmer .    I thought it was a requirement on planeplotter ..
will message  COAA ..
thanks

Anmer

Quote from: frazer macfadyen on June 12, 2018, 08:05:02 PM
Hi Anmer .    I thought it was a requirement on planeplotter ..

Sorry a misunderstanding due to my ambiguous post.

I meant you may not want to share your location coordinates here.  It is a PP requirement.

Try my suggestion using the Cardiff airport coordinates in conjunction with Triple7's post.

If you enter the Cardiff coordinates as I posted and use the Test button, you should see a map with cross hairs near the airport.

Then check your own location coordinates.
Here to Help.

frazer macfadyen

Hi Anmer ..the coordinates I showed earlier were not my home location , it was a example   of how it is shown on the home location tab..  sorry for the confusion ..I got my location via google  but  the first time I entered the coordinates it said I was a not to use a decimal point  . then I tried it without , All I got after that was a box showing a large cross hair  but no location

Anmer

Did you try my suggestion?

Google shows the lat and lon as decimal degrees.

For example, for Cardiff Airport :

If you use this site you can convert to the format example I posted:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/dms-decimal

Try my suggestion.

Then use the above site to convert the Google Maps coordinates for your location.

It should work.

Or send me a PM with your coordinates or postcode.
Here to Help.

frazer macfadyen

Hi Anmer ,  i still am unable to sort the coordinates out. my coordinates in basestation are spot on ,But  i have tried in vain to find the right combination.. basestation uses degrees/minutes/seconds
but the same co-ordinates  will not be allowed in planeplotter 
i checked the group files extensively  ... Any help i would be extremely thankfull

Triple7

2nd attempt:

From the PP help file:

Your home location, strictly the antenna location, should be entered in degrees and decimal minutes e.g something like N54 55.9813 and W02 13.3166
i.e. in the format AXX YY.ZZZZ, where:-
A can ONLY be N, or E, or W or S.
XX is the latitude North or South of the equator in degrees using a whole number between 0 & 90 - Use 2 digits with a leading zero if req'd. Do NOT use a minus sign for West or South of the Greenwich meridian or Equator YY.ZZZZ is a number between 0 & 59.9999
Some systems show location in degrees, minutes and seconds e.g. N55 55 56 - note that this is NOT the same place as N55 55.5600.
PlanePlotter will correctly handle the degrees/minutes/seconds format but in that case you must have precisely two spaces in the entry. The seconds can have decimal places if you need that precision.
PlanePlotter will also handle degrees and decimal degress and in that case, no space should appear in the coordinates.
Valid examples:
N09 43.6876 E00 7.2830
S19 43.1232 W32 19.9683
INVALID examples:
-19 43 12 32 (leading sign, no NSEW letter and four fields)
or
-19º 43' 12" (leading sign, no NSEW letter and degree-minute-seconds symbols.

As noted above, PP can handle several different formats and converts internally to the one PP requires. You may be confusing degrees, minutes and seconds from degrees and decimal minutes.

Just copy and paste your location from BaseStation - excluding the '-' (minus) for Westerly Longitudes and add an 'N' to the Lat and an 'E' or 'W' as appropriate for the Long. PP does the rest.

Tim

EDIT: BaseSataion uses degrees and decimal degrees NOT degrees/minutes/seconds

Maybe that is where you are getting stuck.
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Anmer

Thanks Tim.

I'm in the US for another week or more with no access to PP. 

Frazer, did you do the "test" using Cardiff Airport?  If that works you should be able to follow the same approach for your own location.
Here to Help.