Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 09:48:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Testing AirNav Systems' Flightstick

Started by Anmer, January 16, 2019, 06:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

I saw the Flightstick advertised just before Christmas 2018.  US$39.95 plus US$4.99 shipping.  Took about a week to arrive which was pretty quick.

https://radarbox24.myshopify.com/collections/adsb-receivers/products/radarbox-ads-b-flightstick-dongle-ads-b-receiver

The price's now been reduced by a whopping 75% to US$9.95 plus US$4.99 shipping.  My guess that's below cost and AirNav is desperate for additional coverage and is promoting the Flightstick as a means to that end.  I could be wrong.

The first thing that jumps out is the, not unusual for AirNav, totally false and misleading claims:

• Decodes and displays Mode-S?ADS-B transmissions
  • No add-on programs required
  • Alerts, Weather, Flight and Aircraft Photos in Real-Time
Translated!

• The Flightstick is just an SDR, similar to FlightAware's Pro Stick.  It doesn't decode or display Mode-S or ADS-B messages.  One needs a software application to do that.  AirNav would love Flightstick users to feed their data to RadarBox24 and get a free Business subscription where one can track local flights.
  • Add-on programs are required.  Either to use the Flightstick as a stand-alone SDR or to share the data with RadarBox24.
  • Alerts, Weather, Flight and Aircraft Photos in Real-Time can only be achieved if one subscribes to flight tracking services that offers these, such as FR24, FlightAware, PlaneFinder or RadarBox24.
That aside, how does the Flightstick compare to the Pro Stick, probably the market leader in SDR's optimised for 1090 MHz?

I replaced a Pro Stick with the Flightstick, rebooted the RPi running PiAware and it performed well.  It runs hotter than the Pro Stick, probably due to the smaller form factor and too little ventilation.  But it's been running all day and hasn't failed - yet!

In conclusion, at US$9.95, the Flightstick is competitively priced.

It performs as well as my Pro Sticks, both the blue Plus and basic orange versions.  Both of these have been running non-stop for over two years so time will tell.

Ignore the AirNav "sales" blurb. The Flightstick is just an SDR, competing with FlightAware's Pro Stick Plus.

It can't be used out of the box.  It needs software running on hardware as well as an antenna.  But, for AirNav, economy with the truth is to be expected.

WARNING  Updated 22nd January 2019

Since I tested the Flightstick with an RPi running PiAware, I see a couple of posts on the AirNav forum about it not working with any Windows apps.  AirNav claims the required Windows drivers are not yet available.  So beware.

[attachment deleted reduce file load]
Here to Help.

Keef

Thanks for the write-up, and thanks for buying something from AirNav to test and review on the forum too, I don't think I could bring myself to buy anything from them!

It will be interesting to know if it holds up over time.

Cheers,

Keef.

Anmer

Quote from: Keef on January 17, 2019, 02:44:43 AM
I don't think I could bring myself to buy anything from them

It was a difficult decision but a small price to pay to check out and debunk AirNav's claims, as mentioned in my review.

My only regret is not waiting until after Christmas and saving myself US$30.  :'(

Having said that, I reckon AirNav's losing at least US$25 on every Flightstick it sells at US$9.95.

But with approx 2,000 data sharers compared to FlightAware and FR24, each with over 20,000, Brandao must be getting desperate.
Here to Help.

IanH

bought one as a back up to take on holiday

abcd567

RadarBox24 FlightStick Vs FlightAware ProStick Plus

Comparison of Capability to Eliminate Noise / Cell / Mobile / Pager Signals by the built-in SAW filter of both the Dongles.

Result: Almost Same

Method used is described here: Do I Need A Filter?

NOTE: EXTERNAL FILTER WAS NOT USED WITH ANY OF THE TWO DONGLES

800 Mhz ~ 850 Mhz
Pro Stick Plus

FlightStick

850 Mhz ~ 900 Mhz
Pro Stick Plus

FlightStick

900 Mhz ~ 950 Mhz
Pro Stick Plus

FlightStick

950 Mhz ~ 1000 Mhz
Pro Stick Plus

FlightStick

1000 Mhz ~ 1050 Mhz
Pro Stick Plus

FlightStick

1050 Mhz ~ 1100 Mhz
Pro Stick Plus

FlightStick

1100 Mhz ~ 1050 Mhz
Pro Stick Plus

FlightStick

1150 Mhz ~ 1200 Mhz
Pro Stick Plus

FlightStick

Jacobite9428

Quote from: Anmer on January 17, 2019, 07:39:49 AM
Quote from: Keef on January 17, 2019, 02:44:43 AM
I don't think I could bring myself to buy anything from them

It was a difficult decision but a small price to pay to check out and debunk AirNav's claims, as mentioned in my review.

My only regret is not waiting until after Christmas and saving myself US$30.  :'(

Having said that, I reckon AirNav's losing at least US$25 on every Flightstick it sells at US$9.95.

But with approx 2,000 data sharers compared to FlightAware and FR24, each with over 20,000, Brandao must be getting desperate.

Hi, I live in Scarborough by the sea. I use the AirNav Micro RadarBox and have done for a long time and for me it works fine. Mine covers a 200 miles radius it's magnetic base allows you to put it almost anywhere, mine is happily sitting on my balcony.

Clubba

I'm a bit late to this but I recently did a standalone 24hr simultaneous comparison test on idenitcal laptops and there was one clear winner.
On one laptop I used the all-in-one Radar Box ADS-B 1090 Flighstick. On the 2nd laptop I used the all-in-one Flightaware pro stick plus.
Both where attached to an Airnav base antenna (VHF Airband /UAT 978 / ADS-B 190) using a Y splitter.
Both were running Dump1090 and VRS.
The Radar Box stick was a poor performer, during peak times it constantly failed to see 20-30 aircraft less than the Flighaware Pro+ and after the 24hrs test it was 1200+ flights down on The Pro stick Plus.
Coverage by the Radar Box 1090 Flightstick was between 60-70km less than the Flightaware Pro+ too.

Needless to say the Airnav stick has been returned to Amazon for a refund and a 2nd FA pro+ has been ordered instead.

rikgale

Part of that difference is down to the order of the filter and the amplifier that are built into each of the SDRs and in a different radio environment the RadarBox 1090 Flightstick may perform better. One size does not fit all situations, but from what I have heard over time your conclusions support the majority of opinions.

I can't remember which way around each of the sticks have the filter/amp

The problem with both is that they are both housed in plastic cases and are prone to running hot, especially the RadarBox flightstick. Anecdotally I have heard of a lot of people's RB flightsticks not lasting more than a 6mths to a year. On the flip side my first FA Pro+ lasted about 9 months before the noise floor raised through the roof and the range dropped right down low.

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

Clubba

Rik, I think cooling is the problem with most of these dongles, ventilation could be improved for starters.

Removing them from their plastic shroud and adding heatsinks to the chip would be better IMHO, better still rehouse them in alloy with thermal pads to avoid shorting the circuit. I might do the latter once the send back date has expired.

Currently I've got my FA pro+ sandwiched between 2 slabs of alloy heatsink keeping them a bit cooler than standard atm, not good aesthetically but it's doing the job.

rikgale

I completely agree! Although some users (probably most) would probably be reluctant to start dismantling the case off of there SDR, especially when starting the hobby.

The RTL-SDR Blog v3 sticks at least come in a metal case and seem to do a much better job with heat dissipation, plus the added advantage is they have less elements which would generate heat in the first place. Downside being you need separate items for filter and LNA. I have not had a v.3 go funny on me since I started in this hobby and some of them have been in-situ for nearly 3 years in an attic.

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

Anmer

I've been using FlightAware ProSticks since they were first made available and they sit alongside other receivers in a cupboard which gets quite "warm".  Not seen any data degradation - yet.
Here to Help.

Clubba

I'm content with the FA Pro+ seems to do a good job for the right money.
My RTL-SDR V3 has gone a bit wild, getting 3 stations at once + data burst.

V5 NOOELEC just arrived and it has both thermal pad and heatsink (I took a peek), that will never get hot once it's on that alloy slab  8)