Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 03:04:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Deactivation of Windows feeds (FR24)

Started by Keef, March 22, 2019, 10:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef

Rather short notice I think:

"Hi,

I would like to inform you that in about a week's time, we will remove FR24 Windows feeding software from "Share your data" page.
The Windows feeds will keep working for another 5-6 weeks until May 1st, 2019 when we will turn off support for it.
The reason behind the decision is that we see frequent data errors originating from the Windows platform and in order to improve the data quality we have to remove the windows support.
Less than 5% of our feeders are currently using Windows to feed data and we encourage everyone to move to Raspberry Pi. We appreciate everyone who has contributed via this method over the years. If you believe your location provides important coverage then feel free to request an FR24 receiver. We may also reach out to specific users who have been with us for long and provide good coverage.

Best,
Flightradar24"

I've moved my FR24 feed over to my recently installed Pi (I hope) but I can't see how the data I feed will be of any better quality as the source is the same.

Cheers,

Keef.

Anmer

Quote from: Keef on March 22, 2019, 10:58:37 PM
I can't see how the data I feed will be of any better quality as the source is the same.

I think the FR24 Windows feeder needs updating and FR24 doesn't want to make the investment.

Sad really.  The SBS community underpinned FR24 when it needed data back in 2009 and it was more than happy to accept it for the last 10 years.

I think this is a decision.  Instead of turning off the Windows feed it should be reaching out to the 20,000 plus owners of the SBS/Puck receivers.  By it's own admission it's only getting 5% feeds from Windows, approximately 1,000.  FR24 has about 20,000 active feeders.

Planefinder and AirNav, amongst others, are still accepting data from Windows. 
Here to Help.

Triple7

Quote from: Keef on March 22, 2019, 10:58:37 PM
I've moved my FR24 feed over to my recently installed Pi (I hope).

I'd very much welcome some assistance here. I want to continue to feed FR24 as I find the additional features of the business account useful when out and about.

I currently run Piaware on my RPi2 and also MSM2 to pick up just the Mlat return feed from FA.

Question is, can I also install an FR24 feed onto the RPi and fork a feed to both FR24 and FA without screwing up what already works very well?

I have read on the FR24 forum a bit about this and it appears Dump1090 is required - which is what the Piaware uses believe, so is it just a case of picking up the feed and installing another program to feed FR24? There was a comment about the order in which stuff is installed on the RPi makes a difference. I don't really want to start again, I just want to add something.

I'm not too comfortable with Linux so easy baby steps are what is required here please.

Thanks,

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Anmer

Hi Tim

I've never tried this but I understand it works.  By the way, PiAware uses a modified version of dump1090 - dump1090-fa.

https://discussions.flightaware.com/t/raspberry-pi-docker-from-blank-sd-to-feeding-in-15-mins/17742

ABCD567 has some helpful posts too:

https://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,9623.0.html
Here to Help.

IanH

There is also a set of scripts that install Dump1090-FA, Piaware and multiple feed options (including FR24):

https://discussions.flightaware.com/t/ads-b-receiver-project-setup-scripts/17807

Once the script starts it offers various options, installs and sets everything up. It also installs some useful graphs of performance.

You might want to try the installation on a spare SD card so you can revert if it does not work.

Swapping to another SD card will gerenrate a new id. Hoever you can switch back to your original id. First note the value in "/var/cache/piaware/feeder_id" for your current setup (eg nano /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id).

Enter that value into the new setup at the same location and you will be reinstated.

Triple7

Thanks Mike and Ian. I think the idea of starting with a fresh SD card makes sense. I can then always revert if it all goes TU! I thought I had a spare card or two - however, they seem to have "gone missing" kids eh - no respect these days!  ;D

I'll need to study the various posts / links and see how I get on.

Tim

IanH

In some respects, the later posts about the scripts are the exceptions, not least posted by me and ABCD567 for the OrangePi PC where not everything is the same as a RPi.

Just try downloading the basic script and let it run. Install git if not already present, run the git command and off you go. Things like WhatsUp (?? the range plotting thing) and "claim your Pi" can be ignored. After the script downloads the required packages and compiles them you should be good to go.

Probably only need an 8Gb (or even 4Gb) card although they seem to be rare these days.

Roadrunner

I have been feeding FR24 since early 2012(also was feeding Flight aware). Now I shall loose both of them, as having never been completely computer literate, and have only just managed to get by with Plane Plotter. I have no intention of sourcing any new computer equipment nor of learning new computer skills, so I will be saying goodbye to both systems.

I know things move on but the systems they are using today would probably not be around was it not for the likes of Kinetic and their PC (Windows) based devices. My SBS3 and good old Planer Plotter, will have to be my mainstay from now on. I did make some false starts in the past and have a Radarbox and an Aurora Eurotech SSRx siting in the cupboard unused for a long time!

Mike

Saudistu

Mike, well said. It feels like we are being thrown under the bus. I think that most of us feed Planeplotter and I wonder if they are trying to cause us to chose in some way ? I have been fedding FR24 for years. I bought a Mini-Pc just for that purpose and upgraded from an SBS-1 to and SBS-3 just to be able to have RAW data and therefore MLAT in Planeplotter, but I believe that FR24 also use this RAW data.

I am completely clueless about Raspberry Pi and Linux. I wouldn't know where to start and it would be good if someone at FR24 held out an olive branch and created a Linux euivalent of an .exe file that just set the RPi up for us. Aside from the cost of the Rpi I will have to invest in a decent Antenna Splitter I assume ?

My SBS-3 currently runs Basestation, this feeds Planeplotter. From Planeplotter it outputs to Flightaware although I belive that will also end, and FR24 executable runs to feed FR24 I "think" from Basestation. Basically, I am now looking to feed just Planeplotter and FR24 for the minimum additional cost. I assume that means buying an RPi, maybe a DVB-T stick ? and an Antenna splitter.All this just to keep Business account on FR24. Really frustrating !

Mr Miserable

So I can no longer feed FR24 from my SBS puck, which is a shame.
I don't want to migrate onto a DVBT stick - so can I feed to a raspberry pi (presumably by USB) from my existing setup and it feed FR24?
I welcome some expert advice. 

(If it's technically possible an idiot's guide dumbed down for a real idiot would help a lot!)

Mr M

mhl

Quote from: Mr Miserable on May 18, 2019, 07:00:02 PM
- so can I feed to a raspberry pi (presumably by USB) from my existing setup and it feed FR24?
I welcome some expert advice. 

(If it's technically possible an idiot's guide dumbed down for a real idiot would help a lot!)

Mr M

Setting up and feeding from a Raspberry Pi is pretty straightforward - see the FR24 guide https://www.flightradar24.com/build-your-own.  I set up a RPi feed like this a couple of weeks ago and - believe me - if I can manage this, anyone can (I qualify as your real idiot).  The RPi is connected to my LAN and runs 24/7 feeding FR24, FlightAware and PlaneFinder.

Mr Miserable

Thanks MHL.

It's silly I know but I like my SBS Puck set up and I would prefer to keep it. 

If I have to go down the DVBT route I would rather split the antenna feed if that is technically possible so I still keep my puck going and the raspberry pi/DVBT stick combo are at the back of the cupboard just feeding FR24 and others.

Mr M

mhl

Mr M

I ran a Kinetic SBS 1e for some time but its LAN chip packed up and so, for my setup, it became useless. I gave up radarspotting/feeding for a while as a result (too many other interests) and have only recently returned.  RPi plus Flightaware pro stick was a cheap and easy way back in for me.  In the last couple of days I have added a decent 1090 outdoor aerial and I have seen a quantum improvement in signal/range.

I can understand you wanting to retain and use your existing kit, and the antenna feed can be split - google "split ADS-B antenna feed" and you'll find several useful 'how-to' links.

Triple7

Well, I took the plunge and created a new SD card for my RPi using the link IanH supplied:

https://discussions.flightaware.com/t/ads-b-receiver-project-setup-scripts/17807

It went OK-ish and I seem to be feeding both FR24 and FA. However, when I tried to replace the new FA ID with my old one, using this:

piaware-config feeder-id 12345678-1234-1234-1234-123456789abc (obviously not my real ID!)

I get this message:
warning: /etc/piaware.conf: failed to read config file: couldn't open "/etc/piaware.conf": permission denied

I contacted FA Support, but they just pointed me here - which is what I was already doing:

https://discussions.flightaware.com/t/how-piaware-feeders-are-identified-updated-2017-07-16/19811

I replied (twice) to them but they have so far ignored me. I now have 2 sites displaying under My ADS-B on the FlightAware web page.

Also, when I try and view my plots locally by opening a browser to http://192.168.1.67:8080/ the "rotating fingers" in the middle of the screen just rotate and nothing is displayed. However, if I open a web page here:

http://192.168.1.67/dump1090.php after a few seconds it displays the PiAware Skyview.

Are there some permissions I need to set in the Pi? I am not sure which flavour of Dump1090 I have installed, fa or mutability, does it matter? Is this the reason the 8080 link doesn't work?

Finally, I am sure linked to one of the above, ModeSMixer2 won't load either, that's on port 8088 and just comes up with a "this page can't be displayed" message.

Thanks for any pointers.

Tim

Anmer

Hi Tim

I guess you have the old and new PiAware sites showing against your FA account, one online the other not?

What does the online feed account show as the "Feeder Type"?
Here to Help.