Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:29:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Spurious and Russian Hex codes

Started by Roadrunner, April 03, 2019, 02:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadrunner

Hie there,

Is the very large number of Russian hex codes that my SBs-3 picks up replicated by all the other SBS decoders or peculiar to the BaseStation SBS series?

Their number seems to be on the increase, and unlike other "spurious" codes,as they are allocated to a country, not as easy to lock out.

Regards Mike

Anmer

Hi Mike

Can you share a sample of the codes?  I assume all without positional data?
Here to Help.

Tristar500

This issue was raised on the Mode-S group forum in early March, when several users reported an increase in 'spurious' codes.

I asked the same question as to whether it related to(Kinetic) SBS receivers or was a more general Mode-S problem, most replies were from SBS users but several dongle users reported an increase as well. From the replies it seems to be countrywide but not so apparent in Europe.

My own observations showed an increase from around 3 per day up to 30 or 40 per day, although in the last week or so this seems to have reduced to around 20.

I delete them after each session so I don't have a record of the exact codes but, from memory, they appear to be from (in descending order) Russia; Not Allocated; Germany; France & Serbia, with a smattering of other countries thrown in.

All in all it's become a bit of a chore deleting them each day.

Ian

Roadrunner

Sorry for slow reply. Attached is the list of "unknown tie-ups" from yesterdays session. The Russian Federation ones are regularly culled by me but are very prolific.

I am using an SBS-3 via Win10 PC using Plane-base for decoding etc.

I have always had a few of these but in last year - 18 months seem to be numerous every day.

[attachment deleted reduce file load]

Anmer

Thanks Mike.

I'm aware of reports of spurious Mode-S data being generated in China and elsewhere.  Someone  transmitting false data which was always a concern.  Maybe we have a similar situation nearer home?

A bit like spam emails using false sender addresses.  There's always going to be people who like to cause chaos.

Checking my own sqb file, I have a couple of the codes listed.
Here to Help.

Roadrunner

Thanks for looking Mike.

There are also a few starting 3E ones, which are all German, and end in oo. I wondered if some in this list are just "Birdies" similar to those that can be found on air-band radio.

Truetrack

Re spurious Codes
I observe a varying number of Hex assigned to Russia
often ending with 40,43, 44, 4b, 49, which make me suspicious right away
in the past their last-time end often one second before start-time
but lately no more of that.
I have not checked whether these ModeS happen mainly during workdays
(major mil activity) or also during week end.
re the german-assigned Mil-Block checked and found none of your listed
3E..00 in myne
Klaus

Roadrunner

Thanks Guys,

I try and delete this rubbish about once a week but there is more and more of it. I did wonder if it is peculiar to the Kinetic SBS series or affect every type of system device.

Regards Mike

Truetrack

At intervals I clean out the 'Not Allocated' as well , in one collective SQL-Browser command
but due the 12xxxx are ever repeating , I ignored them and accumulated some 40 different in 3month most coming up and up again , with no real entry in between.

So I wish to delete them enblock like: Delete from Aircraft where ModeS>=12xxxx AND ModeS<=13600;
but that appeared to work only in a pure numerical list

Does anyone know how do it with an alphanumerical in between the rising hex ?
Regards
Klaus

Tristar500

I normally shutdown Basestation for a short time each evening to check for any 'hidden' changes or corruption &, as part of that process, I delete any spurious codes at that time.
I took the simpler option of marking the Reg' of each one as X in Basestation Reporter as I update the new entries and then run the following SQL command:
DELETE FROM Aircraft WHERE Registration = "X"

I guess if all your other records have an entry in the registration field you could jut run an SQL command to delete any record where the registration field is Null.

Ian

Chris-G0WTZ

This is fixed by tick box from memory it is TISB
When I get 5 minutes I will look and confirm.

Anmer

Thanks Chris.

In BaseStation ->Settings ->Data Settings.

Maybe experiment with the Message Filtering check boxes, see attached?

[attachment deleted reduce file load]
Here to Help.

Roadrunner

I already have the 3 ticks for the ones you mention, I also have a 4th entry in that block, Relay Mode A/C Messages, which is also ticked.

Anmer

Hi Mike

Have you tried un-checking them?

I posted the place Chris mentioned.  The example may not be relevant.
Here to Help.

Roadrunner

Mike,
I will try that for th 3 mentioned but surely I need the "Relay Mode A/C Messages" ticked if I want Mlat traffic?

Regards Mike