Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:52:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Calibrating SkyVector Nav Chart for PP ?

Started by Truetrack, April 22, 2019, 09:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truetrack

Has anyone calibrated a Skyvector (here the offered World HI/LO) ?

I know of the practical procedure from Shipplotter with Marine Charts (Mercator Projection)
easily using the Lat/Long intersections.
And I know it can be done with Lambert Conformal Conic in Aviation for PP as well
e.g. as Alpey has done a few years back with each some 40 Calib Points !
Chapeau Alain !!

The abovementioned Skyvector Geo grid cannot be verified as barely visible, and using VORs instead
with their different Coords, and possibly to be converted into the DD MM.mmmm format
would be pain the neck.

Any clues or suggestion ?
TIA  regards
Klaus

IanH

Yes I have done this several times. I don't think you need 40 calibration point for this.

I calibrated the hi level Skyvector map for the area around the Caribbean Sea (Costa Rica, Panama, north Colombia, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Jamaica) with 10 points (VORs). As you add each point you can see how good a fit the calibration is - keep going until the fit is good enough. How accurate do you need?

For the conversion to the required input format, set up an Excel spreadsheet to do the conversion.

Truetrack

Hi Ian
thanks for your response with what you did.
skyvector
when pulling the chart to desired scale the many darkblue rectangles (AWY numbers)
would dominate against the plane symbols.
I reverted into looking at the ERCs again. Alain's source were from '09 way old
checked EAD-Pages,  Charts are for download in PDF-Format, the ERC Lows monthly,
with High Airspace as  Eurocontrol Route Network ERN-Chart twice a year.
Unfortunately recent High-editions show additonal boundaries with broad green stripes,
no good as a decent receding background.
In so far I am disappointed, have to make up my mind yet.
Klaus

IanH

Try turning the chart transparency down (mine is -50) so that he background is darker. I find using a combination of white and yellow for plane info on top of that works ok.

Truetrack

That is much better, presently have it as -60, now you can see the green ascending noses,
shall play around a bit tomorrow when placed the recent editions,
must somehow optimize the readability of the symbols trailing text though.
Thanks for the time being
Klaus