Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:05:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Flightaware Pro Stick issue

Started by IanH654, October 19, 2021, 12:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanH654

Good afternoon,

Hopefully someone might be able to assist with this query ?

Up until a couple of months ago, I had the orange Flight Aware Pro Stick working fine on my home laptop. A couple of years ago, I had taken advantage like many others of the ADU Software that allowed us non computer minded folk to get easy access to the Pro Stick and use it alongside the SBS software.

I was using the orange Pro Stick but it started losing aircraft off the screen when eventually it was blank, this happened a couple of times. I have a Flightaware Blue Pro Stick which I have kept as a spare in case the orange one got broken, seized or whatever. I got that out and gave it a go and after about 10 minutes and after tracking a couple of aircraft, it stopped again and on looking at the ADU command black screen, the 'error- magnetic declinations coefficients outdate' line message came up again, so I don't think its a faulty dongle.

I have attached a copy of the error message.

It looks like it is not an SBS issue as I have plugged my Kinetic Puck in without any issue and it is working fine.

I did contact ADU and they suggested that maybe the Flightaware dongle has blown or windows updates are knocking the drivers out and when putting the puck in these were picked up again. I dont think the Pro Stick has blown as I tried two different ones.

Has anyone else encountered this issue at all and if so, can you advise of a remedy ? As mentioned above, I am not a technology minded person :)

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.

Ian H.

[attachment deleted reduce file load]

Anmer

Can you describe your setup hardware and software?

What's the Pro Sick connected to?  And what ADU app are you running?
Here to Help.

IanH654

Thanks for the reply Anmer

Windows 10 laptop
Kinetic SBS - V184

The ADU programme was from late 2018 which was installed and allows you to switch between Kinetic and the Pro Stick. To use Kinetic only, open SBS by clicking Settings-DataSource-and then tick 'USB' or if using the Pro Stick by clicking Settings-Data Source- and then tick 'use network' - Prior to using the ADU software / Pro Stick, I have to click on an ADU shortcut which opens a command window.

The Pro Stick was connected directly to the laptop

At the moment, I am using the Kinetic Puck plugged direct in to the laptop without a problem. The ADU programme allowed me to plug the Pro Stick directly in to the laptop and use by switching the Data Source as described above. 

I hope that describes it accurately ?

Many thanks,

Ian H.

Anmer

Basestation cannot process Pro Stick data without some middleware software to decode the messages and presnt it to Basestation.

Which ADU app are you using to do this:

https://adusoftware.co.uk/products/
Here to Help.

IanH654

Hello again Anmer,

Its not actually showing on the website.

What I have done it taken a picture of the open / expanded file I have saved on a memory stick and attached it to this post ?  Hopefully that will be of assistance ?

Ian H.

Anmer

Thanks Ian

Looks like it's using ModeSdeco.

Do you use the same antenna with the Pro Stick as you've used with the Puck?
Here to Help.

IanH654

Hello again Anmer,

Yes, I can confirm that its the same antenna that I have used with both the Pro Stick and Puck

Ian H.

Anmer

My guess is the Puck is by-passing ADU/ModeSDeco and the data is going straight to Basestation.  And using different drivers to the Pro Stick.

The Pro Stick could be failing but a bit of a coincidence that your Blue and Orange ones have both failed.

Do you remember how you went about installing the ADU option?
Here to Help.

IanH654

Thanks Anmer,

The ADU file was installed by remote access so I cannot comment on how it was done sadly :(

As mentioned on the initial post, a link to the ADU black command (cmd) screen had to be opened (clicked on) before I could use the Basestation software using the Pro Stick and I had to change the data Source to 'use network' on the SBS screen when it loaded.

The orange one had been working fine, the blue one I had used about four times previously when out of the house.

When I googled 'error- magnetic declinations coefficients outdate' , it took me to the NOAA website. I dont know if it was some file that needed updating but I didnt investigate any further.

I apologise if this is a bit vague ....

Ian H.

Triple7

Not sure if this will help but as the original error was to do with the wmm.cof (World Magnetic Model coefficient) file, it might be worth replacing the one that ModeSDeco is using. I attach mine that I know works and is still in date. I have had to change the extension from .cof to .txt as I wasn't allowed to upload the original.

Ian, you will need to rename the file from wmm.txt to wmm.cof, I hope you know how to do that! Backup the original one first of course.

Tim

SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

IanH654

Thanks Anmer,

I am hoping its a simple download and rename changing txt to cof ? But I will have a look online how to do it :)

Ian H.

Anmer

Quote from: IanH654 on October 19, 2021, 04:28:55 PM
Thanks Anmer,

I am hoping its a simple download and rename changing txt to cof ? But I will have a look online how to do it :)

It was Tim (Triple7) who suggested replacing the file.

I've now attached it with the correct extension.

Save this attachment somewhere.  Rename the existing cof file, such as wmm.old, and then copy the downloaded one into the relevant folder.

Here to Help.

IanH654

Thanks again Anmer,

I will get that done and report back after I have given it a try ... and thanks to Tim (Triple 7 ) for his suggestion.

Ian H.

IanH654

Good afternoon Anmer,

As mentioned last night, I would report back after using the Pro Stick with the replacement wmm.cof file.

I have had the Pro Stick in use last night and all day today from about 7am today and I am happy to report that there has been no recurrence of the problem at all, so hopefully that has cured the problem.

Thanks to yourself for sending the replacement file and to Tim Triple 7 for the suggestion.

Hopefully this might assist anyone in the future who might encounter a similar issue.

All the best.

Ian H.

Anmer

Thanks Ian.

Great to hear it's fixed and thanks for sharing the update.

Tim had the solution, I just facilitated.
Here to Help.