Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:54:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Reception range reduced

Started by Triple7, November 08, 2019, 07:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple7

Hi

My antenna seems to have gone a bit deaf. The reception range is markedly reduced from where is used to be. I suspect it's water ingress after a heavy storm the other week. It is attached to a 16' pole on the gable end of my house. The coax comes into my loft and connects to my SBS and FlightAware dongle. Are there any simple checks I can carry out to determine if it is a shorting issue? I won't be climbing up to remove the antenna myself, (vertigo issue!) so before I get "my man" in to do it, I'd like to know if I can fix the problem myself.

Thanks,

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Anmer

Hi Tim

Do you see a range reduction on both the SBS and FlightAware receivers?

How is the coax cable "split" to feed the two receivers?

Try the magmount (if you still have it) connected to the SBS.  Is the SBS in the loft?

And try the external antenna to just the SBS (not shared with the FlightAware receiver.  Eliminate the "splitter").
Here to Help.

Triple7

Hi Mike,
Quote from: Anmer on November 08, 2019, 08:25:57 AM
Do you see a range reduction on both the SBS and FlightAware receivers?

Yes

QuoteHow is the coax cable "split" to feed the two receivers?

Using a simple 50ohm BNC Tee piece that I robbed from an old network. Yes, I know it attenuates the signal but that's OK, it works - or rather it did until a week or so ago.

QuoteTry the magmount (if you still have it) connected to the SBS.  Is the SBS in the loft?

I have the mag mount, I'll dig it out. Yes SBS in the loft.

QuoteAnd try the external antenna to just the SBS (not shared with the FlightAware receiver.  Eliminate the "splitter").

OK I wil try that and report back.

Thanks

Tim

Triple7

Update,

I connected the Mag Mount to the SBS and I went from one blue light to 3 - so that would seem to point to the external antenna being the weak link. Coax or antenna though? I tried connecting the FlightAware stick to the external antenna without the splitter - and that didn't improve things. I tried the Mag mount to the FA stick and it has stopped displaying anything – oops! I'll look at that later.

Picture of my set-up attached you can see the BNC tee to the lower left and the fact I only had the one blue light on my SBS.

Thanks for the advice,

Tim

[attachment deleted reduce file load]

Anmer

Hi Tim

What make external antenna do you have?

Moisture can penetrate the coax to antenna connection (maybe N-type?) and either deposit gunk (that can be removed) or corrodes.  I've seen this a lot.

I always seal the connection with self-amalgamating tape.

The coax could have a crack?
Here to Help.

Triple7

Hi Mike,

I have a Moonraker Radar 100 or 110 - can't remember - it's a coliner though.

The N-type connector was sealed with self-amalgamating tape when I installed it. Maybe it's time for some new coax and connector. Any suggestions for cable - it's about an 8m run. I know the Westflex stuff is good, but it will be too large in diameter for me to work into my loft without bending it too tightly.

Thanks,

Tim

Anmer

Tim

LMR240 is OK and only 6mm diameter.  As is Panorama CS23.

Give Chris Taylor (ex-Kinetic) a call at Moonraker.  He knows his stuff.
Here to Help.

Triple7

Thanks Mike. I'll speak to Chris.

Tim