Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 10:29:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Flight Radar 24 advised set up using Raspberry-pi

Started by Roadrunner, July 09, 2019, 04:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

Thanks for keeping at it Mike and sharing your experiences.

I know the teams at both FlightAware and FR24. Some really great people with some smart techynology.  But different styles of working.

FlightAware pioneered public flight tracking back on 2005 but it was FR24 in 2009 that launched ADS-B data sharing as we know it today.

So what am I getting at?

FlightAware has now overtaken FR24 in the number of data sharers.  How?  By launching PiAware with an "out-of-the-box" option to download a complete SD card image that doesn't require  subscribers to "open the hood" to "start the engine".

Both FlightAware and FR24 have abandoned the Windows community.  But at least FlightAware makes it much easier to setup and maintain an RPi/SDR feed which also offers local tracking with Skyview.

FR24 would do itself some good to follow suit.

Just my thoughts.
Here to Help.

Roadrunner

Mike,

Thanks for the comment re Flightaware. I used to feed them as well but gave up with the ban on windows feeds. Despite the frustrations I have "enjoyed" getting to grips with my raspberry pi. That device did not cost me as my brother in law is an avid anti windows man an does loads of self programming and has lost track of how many pi's he has. He set me in the right direction on a couple of points but has never used them in the aircraft tracking area.
They say you are never too old to learn and as I am still having a couple of problems with the feed. I have set MLAT to no and I get a failed line in the response to fr24feed-status [picture attached] I would like to turn MLAT on but was not sure what the response to the question re basestation feeding should be as mine is fed via Windows 10.
Anyway it also showed at that time  56  aircraft being tracked so I am reasonably happy, hope that I can improve that over the coming weeks.

I am so glad for this forum and all the help I have received since I retired and joined the SBS users party back in 2006. Cant believe that is now 13 years ago and things have moved significantly on .

Regards Mike

Roadrunner

Soory to be posting so much on this subject but thought this could be of interest to others. Earlier Tim in one of his replies mention typing http://192.168.0.245:8754 into the command line with substituting your own pi IP address in place of the one shown above. However, I coul not get it to work then but tonight I saw a slightly modified line of entry http://192.168.245:8754/settings.html, which resulted in me seeing my entries for the basic questions, plus you have the option of changing information on that one simple screen. I have covered my key in this picture but it does beg one or two questions.
As I do have my set-up working (apparently) at the moment I don't want to mess around for a while but wonder if anyone can advise me re the three questions which appear related to MLAT
Raw data (30002/30334) at present answered no, Will this need to be yes if I want MLAT?
SBS Feed (10001) at present answered no, Do I need to change this as my SBS3 feeds via windows.
Decoded data (30003) at present answered no. Does this need to be Yes if I want MLAT?
MLAT  at present no.
If I change that to yes will it reveal the Latitude/Longitude and Aerial height questions ?
Hope someone has tried this and can help with the answers. I have asked FR24 direct as well.
Thanks again
Mike

[attachment deleted reduce file load]

Triple7

Hi Mike,

My version of your image is attached. Please bear in in my Pi is essentially a PiAware set-up with the FR24 feed "bolted on" so some of the settings will be different. You can see the options I have and all of those related to SBS are showing 'No'. FR24 don't want feeds via windows anymore so you can leave those as you have them.

I still think you might need to go through the setup process as I described earlier, to get back to the antenna location / height options., but that is a bit of a guess on my part. Perhaps someone else knows how to get to that configuration page without re-running the signup.

$ fr24feed --signup

I hope you get it sorted out.

Tim

[attachment deleted reduce file load]
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Roadrunner

Thanks Tim,
You are right, I am unable to carry out changes from the settings screen. I did check that according to that I am feeding aircraft data (4o0at the time) although I have yet to see my set-up in FR24's data provders list.
I wanted to change just the MLAT setting from no to Yes so went into the fr24feed --signup and completed all the data again, inserting my known feeding key. It ended by saying I had been accepted and gave me a new T-EGGW code (totally unexpectedly) then the final remarks was update failed. Checked my feed status again and shows I am still feeding but MLAT status not changed but I am still using the feeding Key and ID I am signed in for. Think next stage is just to find out why I am unable to adjust the information.

Thanks for all your help, nearly there and I'm sure it wont be long before Im completely set up as I want.

Regards Mike

Roadrunner

Tim, Mike

Just to let you know, following further encouragement and advice I retraced my steps and yet again tried the use of fr24feed --signup it actually allowed me to save the settings so now I have a fully functional fr24 feed via raspberry pi and jetvision dongle with MLAT capability.

Thank you for your help and encouragement over the last few days.

Regards Mike

Triple7

Excellent Mike, glad you persevered and got there in the end.

Happy days!

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Roadrunner

Hi Guys,

My set-up has been running continuously now for over a week and I am uploading data all the time. However, this morning it is showing Tracked 0 uploaded 59.

Everything seems to be OK so is this a problem? or what ?

Regards Mike

Anmer

Quote from: Roadrunner on July 27, 2019, 10:01:05 AM
However, this morning it is showing Tracked 0 uploaded 59.

Where are you seeing this?

What's your feeder Status shown on the FR24 website under "My Data Sharing"?
Here to Help.

Roadrunner

I have the line of entry 192.168.0.57:8754 in my web favourites and this shows Tracking : 0, Uploading : 46
From within the FR24 program, tracking page it still shows me as providing data and I am gradually going up the list of data suppliers.

Regards Mike