Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:40:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Unable To Save VR Settings

Started by dsh, November 26, 2019, 02:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsh

I am having a problem with saving the browser settings on a local machine so the next time I run Virutal Radar, I have the same configuration.  I suspect it is a simple step I am missing but I cannot determine what that step is.  Here is what I am doing with a clean machine that has had no drivers or other software installed.

1.   Run zdiag.exe and successfully install the driver.
2.   Run dump1090.bat with the default parameters which opens a DOS window that lists all the current aircraft indicating that the SDR is receiving.
3.   Install and run Virtual Radar for the first time.   It shows that it connected to the receiver and it has an increasing message count with a number of aircraft being tracked.
4.   Select Tools/Options/Receiver Locations/Receiver and name the receiver adding the location coordinates.
5.   Select Tools/Options/Receiver and add the receiver location name under location.
6.   Select Tools/Options/Web Site/Initial Settings
7.   Select Desktop site URL
8.   In the resulting browser page I can see that aircraft are being tracked
9.   Select Menu and configure the display, including the location, to the way I would like it to be using all the sub menus.
10.   Close Menu but leave browser open
11.   Return to Virtual Radar and select Tools/Options/Web Site/Initial Settings
12.   Select the Settings Site URL to bring up the Settings web page
13.   Select Export Settings and the result is 
           {"ver":1,"values":{}}
       with "No settings found" at the bottom

My understanding is that there should be a lot of text detailing the changes I made at this point and that  I can copy this text to the clipboard as the next step. This does appears to be happening. What am I doing wrong? 

The OS is Windows 7 and the VR version is 2.4.3.36292.

dsh

I was finally able to save the settings and it happened after I located and installed a copy of the BaseStation.sqb in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\VirtualRadar and changed the path in VR under Tools/Options/DataSources/Database filename to reflect that is where I put it.

The caveat is it that I cannot be sure that is really the cure.  It might actually be the result of something else that I am not aware of and it was just a coincidence that I was able to save the settings after adding the file.  At least it is something to try if you are having a similar problem.