Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:04:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Gallery and Logo Zip Files

Started by Anmer, June 15, 2016, 08:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

In addition to individual logo and silhouette requests, we have a number of "Collections" that can be downloaded in Zip files.

These include airline and aircraft logos as well as generic aircraft type silhouettes.

These files have been made available by Radarspotting members Ian K, PaulM, Mustang51, Steve Hibberd, Chris Alder, Mokim, PlevTLS, S92driver, Artilect, rikgale and gonzalu.

As long as you're logged in, you can download the Zip files from here.

We have five main types of "logos":

Silhouettes and Side Views

This is usually a side view of the whole aircraft.  It could be plain black or coloured to match the actual aircraft, possibly including a roundel, squadron marking or small logo:

Logos

Usually a coloured logo for the airline or aircraft operator:

Miltary Logos

Sometimes referred to as Military Flags, these show squadron or unit markings, sometimes with the aircraft tail:

Tail Logos

Mainly the aircraft tail markings, often witrh additional detail such as the operator logo.

Nose and Tail

Typically a partial, coloured side view including the tail.  Not a full side view.  Just the front (nose) of the aircraft and the tail.  This allows for a more detailed view of the nose:

Here to Help.

Anmer

The Logo Gallery was released on 11th August 2021.

Gallery stores more than 60,000 logos and sihouettes and can be searched using a range of parameters, making it easy to find a suitable file which can then be downloaded.

The underscore (_) and percentage (%) characters act as wildcards in Search.  For example "G-_" will find all files with "G-" in the name.

Contributors can upload new files direct to Gallery and additions will be automatically announced in their message threads.

You'll find a link to Gallery in in the menu bar.

If you have any questions or comments about Gallery, please post in this message thread.

Here to Help.

Faramir

What a great option this is, it makes searching so much easier, well done!!

Roadrunner

Brilliant addition. I am always finding it difficult to find logos that have already been done.

Is it to be the norm now for logos to be shown on the individual posts under a reference code rather than a ICAO Operator/Type codes with reg as well in some cases?
Best regards 
Mike/Roadrunner

Anmer

Quote from: Roadrunner on August 12, 2021, 08:55:56 AM
Is it to be the norm now for logos to be shown on the individual posts under a reference code rather than a ICAO Operator/Type codes with reg as well in some cases?

The message post is automatically generated by the addition of a new file to Gallery.  It references the bmp file name and includes a link to the file in Gallery.

If the contributor includes a Description when adding a file to Gallery, this will be included in the automatic post.  I think Rikgale is adding an aircraft Description.
Here to Help.

Roadrunner

Mike,

Thank you. One thing |I have noticed (as I have been giving the system a good workout with logos I cant find) is that it does not like a search string of less than 3 characters. For example searching for ICAO type O1 or P8 brings up a message to the effect. I have worked out that by using an underscore first ,as in  _O1 or _P8, it will return results.

Best regards

Mike

Anmer

The search must be a minimum of three characters.  It's a fixed parameter.  I'll check out the use of underscore as there are no wildcard options, much as it would be good to have!
Here to Help.

Anmer

Well done Roadrunner.  It looks like the underscore character works as a wildcard even though the Gallery developer told me only yesterday there was no wildcard option!

For example, "G-_" finds all file names beginning with "G-".
Here to Help.

rikgale

Quote from: Anmer on August 12, 2021, 09:02:06 AM
Quote from: Roadrunner on August 12, 2021, 08:55:56 AM
I think Rikgale is adding an aircraft Description.

Yes I am adding in descriptions for all the ones I add moving forward. The title for the post/gallery addition is the file name I am adding to the gallery and then the description will be one of the following depending on what I am adding:

- Operator Flags will be the fleet name and ICAO e.g. British Airways (BAW) +/- special colour schemes or other useful info.
- Operator Flags (NON-ICAO) will the company name, aircraft ICAO type +/- a/c registration e.g. JoBlogsFlying GLEX R-EGIS
- Silhouettes and DV Silhouettes will the aircraft name.
- General Aviation - not sure yet as I have only posted 2. Open to suggestions.

It should be noted that when the galleries were set up, Anmer kindly bulk up-loaded from up-to-date zip files to save us re-uploading all our work again. These do not have a description added to them and the search will only pick up on what is in the file name for these. The information attached to up-loads moving forward will be richer if contributors add title or descriptions to the uploads.

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

Anmer

Quote from: rikgale on August 16, 2021, 09:41:36 AM
It should be noted that when the galleries were set up, Anmer kindly bulk up-loaded from up-to-date zip files to save us re-uploading all our work again.

Or I could have asked our contributors to individually upload over 66,000 bmp files to the new Gallery.   :P
Here to Help.

rikgale

Quote from: Anmer on August 16, 2021, 09:53:52 AM
Quote from: rikgale on August 16, 2021, 09:41:36 AM
It should be noted that when the galleries were set up, Anmer kindly bulk up-loaded from up-to-date zip files to save us re-uploading all our work again.

Or I could have asked our contributors to individually upload over 66,000 bmp files to the new Gallery.   :P

... and some of us *cough cough* (me) were crazy enough to suggest re-uploading each file as a practical option. Thank the ethereal air-traffic controller in the sky that we have a sensible forum admin.

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

s92driver

For those getting used to the new gallery feature, here's a couple of hints.

When clicking on the Gallery shortcut at the top of the page, then selecting the provider, the gallery appears to sort the images in alphabetic order despite the labelling in the top right indicating differently.  Sorting by "Date, descending" and hitting GO will show the newest images at the top.  An easy way to grab anything new!

Another shortcut to seeing only new images:  Select UNVIEWED in the Gallery, then MARK ALL VIEWED.  The next time you click on UNVIEWed, only images recently added will be displayed.

Steve

Anmer

Quote from: s92driver on August 17, 2021, 08:01:54 AM
When clicking on the Gallery shortcut at the top of the page, then selecting the provider, the gallery appears to sort the images in alphabetic order despite the labelling in the top right indicating differently. 

I've set the default Category sort order to "File Name, Ascending" which is what displays.

The sort dropdown box shows the first option which is "Date".  Doesn't take any notice of the default.  ???
Here to Help.

FlightOverNight

Thanks to everyone who created this fantastic artwork stuff, for posting and sharing it with us!

A very special "THANK YOU" to Mike, who made this awesome forum available for all of us.

Joe

citationten

Anmer, can you assist me please? I'm trying to update my SQB file on my SBS with missing logos. The vast majority are great however I have tried to Download a flag for 'Flightpath Charter Airways (KNT), but when I try to open it  I'm told 'The file could not be opened.
It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn't recognise'

I've had this with a couple of other files lately but I've been able to work around it. I have downloaded another couple of new flags today, without issue, so is it me (or my computer - an iMac) or is there an issue with the flag itself and perhaps I should contact the 'author' direct? Many thanks for your guidance.  Keith