Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:49:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Logos not showing on BasweStation

Started by Roadrunner, June 21, 2021, 10:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadrunner

For some reason today my Basestation SBS3 is not showing logos. They are all there, in fact a couple been displayed. I tried a few different things including checking for file types, oversized files and none existed as I had done this only a few weeks ago. I decided that perhaps by starting a brand new sqb file it would clear the problem but it persists. I have tried reloading the flags and all that it does is cause an error message and a different reason and record number at fault.
All the photos are shown in SBS Tweaker and on my copy of Planelotter. Any ideas please befoe I tear out what little remaining hair I have.

I have used the bmp checker

Anmer

Sounds like a rogue "bmp" file or maybe you're running out of available memory?

Sort the Operator column in the Aircraft List in ascending order.  Do the logos suddenly stop appearing?  If they do, check the Operator Flag code name of the last one that appeared.  This usually suggests a file after that one, not necessarily immediately, is rogue.

But if you've used BMPChecker and not found an error, there may be a different reason.  But I can't think what.
Here to Help.

Roadrunner

Apologies for the time taken to reply as I have been systematically working through the logos I had added over the last few days until all fell into place.
I did use BMPCHK file checker and nothing was listed as incorrect/corrupt.

I have been using side views from one source and it would appear that a rogue .bmp file was to blame. In this case just 1 file was only 3kbp and once this was removed it all started working again. The strange thing is I did have a few other flags of that size, which have been in the database for a long while, without being a problem.

Lets hope it does not re-occur

Mike/Roadrunner

Anmer

Quote from: Roadrunner on June 22, 2021, 01:36:25 PM
I did use BMPCHK file checker and nothing was listed as incorrect/corrupt.

Thanks for the update Mike.

It's unusual for BMPCheck not to highlight rogue files.  Do you still have a copy of the file and can you post it here as an attachment?
Here to Help.

Roadrunner

I transferred the file to the rubbish bin as I didn't want to get the rogue file confused with another one that I was slowly building as I checked the files I wanted to use from the "Donor" provider. So the short answer is no.

I have been adding a few at a time then importing them by stopping BS and then restarting after the import and if no error messages went on to the next group.

Still loads to add but getting more confident and dealing with larger lots each time.

Regards Mike

Roadrunner

Hi Guys,

Following on from the problems I had with my OperatorFlags I have come to realise that my BMPChecer is not working at all.

I am not not getting any choice of paths in the box at all.

My Basestation setup is in C:/Aviation/Kinetic/BaseStation.

I have JAVA on my PC.

I have the BmpChk.jar program in the BaseStation folder

Nothing happens when I double click on it.

Is their a way of amending the file to be location specific for the place my file is
or should it be working as is.

Best regards

Mike/Roadrunner

Anmer

Hi Mike

Did you unzip BMPChk to a designated folder?

Double clicking on BMPChk.jar should launch the app.  You can then set the folder path for your OperatorFlags in the "Dir" field.

I think the default path is set to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Kinetic\BaseStation\OperatorFlags\

This needs changing to your folder location.  Unfortunately this doesn't get saved and will have to be reset everytime the app is launched.
Here to Help.

jakems

Hi

If you have unpacked the zip file and put the jar in c:\Aviation\Kinetic\Basestation then open a DOS window or Command Prompt, if you are running Windows 10 then from the Program List select Windows System then Command Prompt. Then type the following:

cd c:\Aviation\Kinetic\Basestation
BmpChk.jar

and the program should run. As Anmer says you can then specify whichever directory your bitmaps are in.

If you get any error messages please report back with the exact messages and also the output from:

path
java -version

The default path will be dependant on the version of Windows you are running, but in most cases will be:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Kinetic\BaseStation\OperatorFlags\
Steve

Roadrunner

Hi all,

I followed the instructions you gave and got the following result.

All I can say is I am getting thicker as I get older.

My interpretations of the instructions was that with all the choices built into the program it would find the correct path, not that I had to enter it myself  :-\

Once I did it correctly  ??? I got a result and I now need to check all those mentioned. The blue background to the text is because I was going to copy&paste the details to another document but thought a complete screen print would be better.

What is the old saying "You can lead a Horse to water but you can't make it drink.
!
Thanks foir all your help.....

[attachment deleted reduce file load]

jakems

Hi Mike

Glad you managed to get bmpchk running. The directories I offer are the ones that are on the system if you had used the default location for the installation. I have seen on this forum suggestions to install outside of the Program Files directory to avoid UAC, the suggested directory name has been C:\Kinetic\Basestation, this directory I also search for and if it exists I offer that in the list. I guess I could list every subdirectory called OperatorFlags, but that could list old installations or backups and canfuse things.

Looking at the list of files reported I don't see anything that would cause BaseStation a problem. The file length mismatch I report as an error, but in the 9 years since I wrote the program, I have not seen it cause BaseStation a problem. Technically it is an error, but not for BaseStation, so it could be downgraded to a warning. The only real error I have ever seen is when the file header does not have "BM" in the correct place, this normally means that a file of a different type has  been renamed  as a bmp and this does cause BaseStation to stop loading the remaining bmp files.

I hope this helps.
Steve