Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:15:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

getting FD emails to send with Outlook.com or gmail etc that need SSL/TLS?

Started by jcowburn, February 05, 2015, 08:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcowburn

Hi All,
I've just been forced to migrate from 17 years of virgin.net to BT and have lost my virgin email account in the process.  Now I'm using outlook.com and gmail.com and while they are fine for email, I can't work out how to configure them with FD so I can email logs etc. It's the SSL/TLS authentication piece that I can't seem to find or make work.

Any suggestions/tips.  Thanks for a great forum.

I've been a Mode S er for 10 years since my wife bought me my SBS1 which I'm still using to this day!

I get around 220 aircraft at a time and and a radius of about 220 nm from my Biggleswade location.

Cheers

Dr. J Cowburn

IanH

No idea about FD - never used it.

But someone will be along who understands the problem.

In the meantime, what does FD ask for when you set up e-mail?

jcowburn

all FD asks for is smtp server address and log on details.  This was fine under the old virgin media system, but now I've gone to outlook.com, the outlook email when run as smtp or IMAP etc needs SSL/TLS authentication and there appears no "box" to check/tick on the FD email set up page to make this happen.  When the test message is sent to verify it is correct, the error message is returned that the server refused due to authentication etc (due to no SSL/TLS).  Given that FD is old and no longer supported then it may be that there is no way round this, but I thought it worth asking on here.

Cheers

Jim

Anmer

Welcome.

Do you get the same error message if you try to use Gmail?

I haven't used FD for a long time and, apart from testing, didn't use the email logs.

If I get a chance later I'll see if I can replicate your issue.
Here to Help.

IanH

Just done a quick search on Google

https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en

Looks like you might be able to use "aspmx.l.google.com" as the SMTP server without SSL.

No idea if I've got the wrong end of the stick though!

jcowburn

Hi Ian,  I tried the aspmx trick but it didn't work either!  great minds etc!

jcowburn

In the event that I can't get FD to work and email logs etc  under newer emails, is there an alternative that the forum recommends as I am aware that FD is an old bird and her author is no longer supporting it.

Cheers

Jim

Anmer

I'm not aware of anything that combines the extensive features of Flight Display which was a free utility.

Unfortunately, Allan Bird, FD's author, chose to spend more time with his family and couldn't dedicate the required resources to continue with FD support.

Someone here may be able to recommend alternative solutions that can email logs?
Here to Help.

Triple7

You don't say which software / set-up you have but David Taylor has written a PlanePlotter report program to send Mode-S reports to the Mode_S Yahoo group:

http://www.satsignal.eu/software/PlanePlotterReport.html

It may work with other software other than PP. I don't use it myself as I don't send logs.

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter