Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:23:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Taylor Made RF BBA-1090 Base Antenna

Started by Anmer, March 16, 2015, 11:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

The Taylor Made Budget Base Antenna - TMRF BBA-1090

Following on from my review of the TMRF-ADSB Mk2, Chris Taylor sent me another low-cost antenna to try.

The BBA-1090 is a "budget base" antenna, retailing at GBP £49.95.  It ships with 10 meteres of low loss CS-29 6mm diameter coax with an SMA connector for the SBS-3 or Puck 1090.  Included is a substantial metal bracket and U-clamps for attaching to a pole or screwing to a wall or chimney.

Since I'm still in rented accommodation, I had to make ues of my patented clamping system, "installing" the BBA-1090 in the same position I used for the TMRF-ADSB.

Then I ran BaseStation for a couple of days to get a good range plot using SBSplotter.

As you can see, the BBA-1090 (yellow) plot has a similar shape to the TMRF-ADSB (red) but with slightly more range in most directions.  Except for the blocking by Preselis to the north and Brecons to the east, the range is in excess of 200 nautical miles.  For an antenna mounted on a bungalow with a makeshift clamp, this is pretty good.  Clamped to a pole well above the roof line should provide even more range, subject to local obstacles.

But at GBP £49.95 this is yet another value antenna from Taylor Made RF.  I'm not sure how it would perform over an extended period of use in a harsh coastal location but in terms of range it's looking very good.  And a "bargain" too.

http://www.tmrf.co.uk/product/bba-1090/

Here to Help.