Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

December 05, 2021, 08:24:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61349
  • Total Topics: 13636
  • Online Today: 43
  • Online Ever: 164
  • (August 20, 2021, 01:02:40 AM)
Users Online

Latest Post

Latest File

Author Topic: Tinkering with your Dongle setup  (Read 6320 times)

Offline Bethsalem

Re: Tinkering with your Dongle setup
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 05:13:35 PM »
Also FlightAware are offering a new 1090MHz bandpass filter

RTL-SDR dongle has arrived - took about 3 weeks to get here. Already have the CosyCave LNA.

Where on the Flightaware site does it mention 1090 filters for sale?

It's from here Ian, http://www.rtl-sdr.com/new-product-from-flightaware-a-1090-mhz-bandpass-filter-for-the-rtl-sdr/

Offline IanH

• Top Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 12:12:37 PM »
Doing a search for alternatives, I found this:

http://ava.upuaut.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=85

LNA plus filter in an aluminium case (looks like a PlaneGadget Radar!). £36 plus £5 postage.

Which way to go?

Offline Bethsalem

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 03:16:25 PM »
I just can't leave well alone...

I've attached a picture of my current dongle setup. By attaching an LNA and LTCC 1090MHz filter just in front of this newly revised version of the venerable R820 dongle I have more than doubled my frame-rate, and much more importantly, the number of aircraft on my screen.

For example, using the dongle alone I'm seeing 225 frames per second and 35 aircraft on screen.

With the LNA and filter I'm seeing 550 frames per second and 55 aircraft on screen.  :)

The total cost of this setup, new dongle, LNA, tablet charger, connectors, boxes and filter, but excluding antenna, coaxial cable and laptop, was about 75 euros including total postage.

Not a bad expenditure for the increase in sensitivity which now rivals my Beast setup, which cost considerably more.

Just over a year later and I've updated my setup thus (have a look at the attached photo)

The new step us consists of > Antenna - FM Band Stop Filter - LNA - 1090MHz Band Pass Filter - Prostick(LNA plus R820T2 dongle combo)

I'm getting roughly 10% more reported positions according to my PiAware stats page.

I've attached a couple of screenshots showing how this new dongle setup (Reus889) is outperforming my Beast (Reus890), 67 aircraft (dongle) versus 47 aircraft (beast) which is quite a remarkable feat, I think.

Offline Anmer

• Administrator
  • Top Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing.

How long is your coax?

And what WiFi USB device is that?

And what happens if you remove the filters and amp?
Here to Help.

Offline Bethsalem

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 11:05:59 PM »
Unfortunately the coax cable is 17 metres in length.

The WiFi USB device is the official Raspberry Pi WiFi dongle.

If I remove the FM band stop filter and the first LNA, then the aircraft seen dips to about 20% below Beast value. So for illustration sake, if the Beast is showing 50 aircraft, the Dongle, sans first filter and first LNA, is showing 40 aircraft.

If I return the setup back to normal R820T dongle, plus 1090MHz band pass filter, plus powered LNA, then I'm seeing about 10% more aircraft than the Beast, so for illustration sake 55 aircraft (Dongle) versus 50 aircraft (Beast).

I've experimented with every possible configuration, and this setup with two filters and two LNAs, in the sequence I've set them up in, works the best by far, consistently out performing the Beast.

Offline Radio2.0

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2016, 11:22:00 PM »
do you play with the Gain features?
>>> I looking for People who want exchange the VRS Data with me. <<<
I life near LOWW / VIE and see Ground Traffic too.

Offline Bethsalem

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2016, 11:26:39 PM »
No, because I've attached the 1090MHz band pass filter immediately in front of the ProStick, and in this configuration FlightAware say that you can leave the gain on automatic.

I have messed around with changing the gain just out of curiosity, but the results were always worse than when I left the gain setting on its default setting.

Offline Bethsalem

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 10:26:11 AM »
I've been using the new setup since last Friday evening (21st Oct) and I've noticed the greatly increased number of positions reported. I'm not seeing many extra aircraft, but the ones I do I'm seeing for longer. The range I can detect out to has only increased slightly, but the signal strength is stronger.

Stats courtesy of FlightAware.

Offline Anmer

• Administrator
  • Top Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 10:43:12 AM »
That's typically what I experience with an amp.  Similar range with more contacts for longer.

Your setup is working well.
Here to Help.

Offline Bethsalem

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 04:26:35 PM »
I'd read on one of the Reddit subforums that using a "two amps, two filters" system was increasing the likelihood of receiving a usable signal for Outernet and for Inmarsat, so I thought I'd give it a go for ADS-B.

It certainly is an improvement on my previous setup, but only if I link the components together in the way I have 

FM bandstop filter, LNA, 1090MHz bandpass filter, finally ProStick (LNA + R820T2).

No other combination gives the same result.