Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

December 05, 2021, 07:57:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61349
  • Total Topics: 13636
  • Online Today: 43
  • Online Ever: 164
  • (August 20, 2021, 01:02:40 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 32
Total: 35

Latest Post

Latest File

Author Topic: Flightaware proposed changes  (Read 1521 times)

Offline goingaround

Flightaware proposed changes
« on: February 28, 2019, 07:27:48 PM »
I am somewhat confused (maybe a senior moment) with regards to Flightawares proposed changes with Planeplotter.
I have a Raspberry and Flightaware stick and also feed to Planeplotter..
Do these changes mean that I will no longer be able to do this or that PP will not be able to feed FA?
Clarification appreciated.

Offline Anmer

• Administrator
  • Top Poster
Re: Flightaware proposed changes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 07:49:37 PM »
You can still feed data to PP from your RPi and Pro Stick.  Nothing changes there.

But you won't be able to feed FlightAware from PP.

An alternatove is to run PiAware which will feed FlightAware and run PP.

I can explain how to set that up if you need help.
Here to Help.

Offline goingaround

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 08:07:28 PM »
Thanks for the reply and offer of help.

When I purchased this setup I found feeding Flightaware quite straight forward.

It was feeding PP that I struggled with but got there in the end.

I found the statements from FA ambiguous and initially thought my Raspberry Pi and Flightaware pro plus would be rendered useless with regards to PP.

However I did wonder if it is possible to run a FA stick in windows and dump 1090. If so I would have a go at mounting it on a different PC and a new copy of PP and try a yagi pointed west, the direction that my vertical doesn't perform very well due to the mountains.

Offline Anmer

• Administrator
  • Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 08:13:41 PM »
You can use the FlightAware Pro Stick as you would any other SDR for 1090 MHz.  Including with Windows.

But you won't be able to feed data to FlightAware as it doesn't cater for Windows "users" .
Here to Help.

Offline goingaround

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 09:38:25 PM »
Could I feed just Planeplotte.

Offline Anmer

• Administrator
  • Top Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 10:37:48 PM »
Yes.
Here to Help.

Offline Keef

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 10:24:02 PM »
As it looks like FA won't support Windows users after the end of the PP sharing option I thought I'd investigate the best way for me to continue feeding to keep the Enterprise account.

I thought I'd have to get a Pi (and of course I have had to) and initially thought I'd have to get another antenna to feed an RTL device plugged in to the Pi and then the PiAware software as most of the discussion seemed to be about using PiAware as the primary source and using outputs from that to deliver feeds to other software.

What I wanted to do was use my existing Windows setup to feed PiAware so I didn't need a new antenna and RTL device connected to the Pi.
This is catered for if you can feed the Pi with 'Beast' format data over the network.

As I'm using ModeSdeco connected to a FA ProStick as a data source I added a Beast output with --beast <port #> then used the following setup in PiAware:

receiver-host                  192.168.0.2 (That's the IP address of the PC running ModeSdeco)
receiver-port                  <port #> (same as used in ModeSdeco -beast option)
receiver-type                  relay
wired-address                  192.168.0.141 (IP address I set for the Pi)

I'm sure there are other ways of achieving this networked data feed to PiAware depending on circumstances but this is what I've done and it works OK for me.

I'm also using ModeSdeco with the --sbs10001 10001 option to feed BaseStation from the ProStick.

Of course not everyone will feel the need to carry on contributing data to FA if it involves time and money to achieve over what they already have working.

Personally I've been meaning to get a Pi for a while to play with and I wanted to continue being an Enterprise member at FA, so for me it was worth it.

Cheers,

Keef.

Offline Anmer

• Administrator
  • Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 08:04:54 AM »
Hi Keef

Thanks for sharing your setup.

I'm assuming you now have a RPi and an SDR receiver?

In addition to running PiAware, what other software are you using?  BaseStation, PP?

PiAware enables data output on a number of ports.  You may not need to use ModeSdeco.

Data is available on ports 30005, 30105 and 30106.

The diagram is well hidden on the FlightAware website.

https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/about

You can run PP, VRS and, with the help og ModeSMixer, BaseStation off the PiAware output.
Here to Help.

Offline Keef

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 04:15:44 PM »
Hi Anmer,

My original setup was based around an SBS1-eR (Ethernet connected) and BaseStation.
Things expanded a bit over time and I ended up using ModeSmixer connecting to the SBS1-eR and outputting to BaseStation as well as providing feeds in other formats for various other bits of software.

A while ago my SBS1-eR stopped working so to keep things running I swapped it with a FA Pro Stick and switched to using ModeSdeco to decode from the RTL USB device. This allowed me to keep things set up mostly the same and so was the quickest/easiest way for me.
I have got the SBS-1eR working again by reflashing the firmware but have left the Pro Stick in place as I don't really see any advantage to switching back to the SBS -1eR.
Everything is working and I'd need to get up in the loft to change things back as well as reconfigure my feed setups.

Enough of the history lesson.

To add PiAware to my system the path of least resistance seemed to be to add that without changing any other feeding configs so that's what I've gone for.
My current set-up is shown in the (rather poor) attached drawing.

Cheers,

Keef.

Offline Anmer

• Administrator
  • Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 07:13:39 PM »
Thanks Keef for a full and helpful description of your setup.  The diagram is very useful and may help others too.  I will keep a copy.
Here to Help.

Offline Keef

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 08:23:53 PM »
A slight update to the diagram, I forgot Albert's Mil ModeS feed on port 30003 from BaseStation.

Actually it's been good for me to draw out what I'm doing as I usually have to work it all out when I have a problem and want to find out which bit might have gone wrong.

Cheers,

Keef.

Mod Edit.  I've added a higher resolution PDF diagram which Keef kindly sent me.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:02:59 AM by Anmer »

Offline Saudistu

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 12:00:26 PM »
A slight update to the diagram, I forgot Albert's Mil ModeS feed on port 30003 from BaseStation.

Actually it's been good for me to draw out what I'm doing as I usually have to work it all out when I have a problem and want to find out which bit might have gone wrong.

Cheers,

Keef.

Mod Edit.  I've added a higher resolution PDF diagram which Keef kindly sent me.

Reference the diagram. If I substitute ModeSdeco with ModeSMixer2, and send one feed from that to the RPi, will that feed be OK to feed Flightaware (via PiAware) and FR24 via their Feeder software, and keep Basestation/Planeplotter running on the Windows Mini-PC ? Is that the sort of thing I should be following ? My input Receiver is the SBS-3. Still not entirely sure how I can make it work with an SBS-3 !

Offline Saudistu

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 10:48:39 AM »
So, I have bit the bullet so to speak. I bought also a Flightaware dongle and a cheap SMA Splitter. Obviously my range will suffer, but why should I care ? In the end it is FR24, Planeplotter and Flightaware that will be getting less Aircraft from me. I can do what I usually do and use the FR24  APP on my iPad. At the moment I would say it has cost me around 110 Euro, but that will be (technically) clawed back by keeping my free accounts. Now just need to read up on getting the Dongle to feed FA and FR24 on the RPi :)