Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:25:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

GNS5890 icao24plus

Started by cdavies, April 21, 2017, 08:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdavies

Hi

I have recently purchased the GNS5890 and have got it up and running. The aircraft database icao24plus in Notepad is dated January 2014 so obviously any new aircraft since then are not recognised. I don't know the source to obtain a new file from so any help would be much appreciated

Many Thanks

Anmer

Welcome.

Does the GNS have it's own database viewer and do you know the structure of the database itself?

Have you tried contacting GNS Support:

http://www.gns-gmbh.com/index.php?id=74&L=1
Here to Help.

cdavies

Thank you Anmer for replying and apologies for my response as I have been away.

I have tried GNS Support but they are unable to help as they didn't develop the product. The database is on notepad and is very basic. I know there are a lot of other GNS5890 Users out there so I am hoping someone will tell me how they update this database.

Anmer

Can you post a selection of the database or email me a copy?  Did GNS say who "developed" the database?  From what I can find it's distributed with adsbScope.

http://sonicgoose.com/how-to-setup-adsbscope/

My guess is there is no app to do the updates.  You could convert the txt file to an spreadsheet and edit that, saving it after changes, as a txt file.

Or, if possible, use the GNS to run alternative software such as VRS or ModeSMixer with a BaseStation.sqb database. Or even PlanePlotter.

Maybe other members can suggest a solution.
Here to Help.

IanH

The database for adsbscope is a simple text file. This is an example of the format:

4064E3   G-PERA   A139   AgustaWestland AW139
4064E4   G-PERB   A139   AgustaWestland AW139
4064E5   G-DFJJ   VENT   Schempp-Hirth Ventus
4064E8   G-HLEL   SHIP   SHIP
4064E9   SP-MWP   BE9L   Beech 90 King Air
4064EA   G-CGVG   FDCT   Flight Design CT
4064EC   G-CGTF   MT           MT
4064ED   G-FRIK   ULAC   Ultralight/Microlight
4064EE   G-TRJB   BE36   Beech 36 Bonanza
4064EF   G-CGVA   AP22   Aeroprakt A-22 Foxbat/Valor/Visi
4064F1   G-KEDK   DISC   Schempp-Hirth Discus
4064F2   G-STIX   RV7   Van's RV-7

I can't remember where one can easily obtain an updated Basestation.sqb these days, but extracting the above data from it into a text file should be possible.

However according to the instructions with adsbscope, while adsbscope is running it dumps unknowns into another text file "airframesunknown.txt". Supposedly, one can then run another part of the program to update this list. Alternatively, the list could be updated manually using information from Airframes.org.

I've just started adsbscope feeding it from my piaware setup. This is part of the list "airframesunknown.txt" collected in the last 10 minutes today:

4CAB72:Ireland   :::
4CAB6D:Ireland   :::
406ADE:UK        :::
4CA376:Ireland   :::
3C4B06:Germany   :::
4CAAD9:Ireland   :::
3C56F6:Germany   :::
4CA37C:Ireland   :::
C058D5:Canada    :::
4CA676:Ireland   :::
4CC272:Iceland   :::
406B8F:UK        :::
AB034D:USA       :::
896319:U.A. Emirates:::

I'll see what else I discover!

Anmer

Quote from: IanH on April 30, 2017, 11:31:00 AM
I can't remember where one can easily obtain an updated Basestation.sqb these days, but extracting the above data from it into a text file should be possible.

One can be downloaded via PlanePlotter.
Here to Help.

IanH

QuoteOne can be downloaded via PlanePlotter.
If you have PlanePlotter.

Following up on previous post.

The list of unknowns can be viewed using the toolbar button "Aircraft Manager". This allows you to open Airframes.org, If you copy the hex code of one unknown into  Airframes.org and save the result using "save as" from the browser into the html folder of adsbscope, the unknown is identified and saved into a icao24plus1.txt file. This plus1 file is read on start up to add to the default icao24plus.txt file. Somewhat tedious for  lots of unknowns updating from 2014!

One alternative is to use a new  icao24plus.txt that is up to date and then just add the new unknowns when they occur. I've created such a file so let me know if you want a copy.

Or as a complete change, use a different display program which understands and updates the basestation.sqb file (e.g. BaseStation, Virtual Radar Server). Send the GNS5890 output to that program and keep the database up to date with an add on program.

mezoo

I agree with IanH - your best option is to use VRS (Virtual Radarserver) - which, unlike PlanePlotter, is a freeware programme!

VRS also gives stores much more information than adsbscope (eg logging the plane positions, which adsbscope does not do) and automatically updates you local basestation.sqb with data from PlanePlotter.

I ran my GNS with VRS on a Win7 laptop in this way during my business trips and holidays.

Anmer

Quote from: Anmer on April 30, 2017, 08:38:00 AM
Or, if possible, use the GNS to run alternative software such as VRS or ModeSMixer with a BaseStation.sqb database. Or even PlanePlotter.

8)
Here to Help.

DIRECTANGODELTA

Hi IanH,

I am having similar issues, do you have an up to date icao24plus.txt that I can install please?

IanH

DIRECTANGODELTA

Thanks Ian,

Much appreciated

IanH

In response to a PM, how to keep the database for ADSBScope up to date?

Basically you need a basestation.sqb file as the starting point.

Whether this is one downloaded with worldwide aircraft or just a local one that is kept up to date (e.g. using VRS, PlaneBase, etc) depends on what you have access to.

So basestation.sqb conversion to ADSBScope text database involves two programs:
First copy the basestation.sqb file to a working folder and rename it basestation.sqlite.
In the SQLite Export download there is a file "sqlite_export.exe". Run that, locate your sqlite file, add the output filename, select XLS as Mode. Select Table and in the dropdown choose Aircraft. Finally click on Export.
Open the resulting XLS file. You want columns D, G, N and O. These are "ModeS", "Registration", "ICAOTypeCode" and "Type". Delete the rest!

Then File/Save As - I chose Text (MS-DOS) - gives the file need by ADSBScope. Rename it icao24plus1.txt.

Unless you are really wedded to ADSBScope, it is far easier to use another program that also uses basestation.sqb. That way you just copy your recent version to the mobile setup.
GNS5890 might not work with other software so you will need a SDR dongle instead. Personal choice!

Edit:
If you use LibreOffice, export as CSV and not XLS - something weird going on.

If you are away from home, you will see unknowns if they do not usually frequent your local area - good indication they are of interest! Log those ADSB codes  ;D

NeedaRadar

Hi
Please can I have an updated icao24plus file.
Thank you

mezoo

I think your best option is to run the GNS with Virtual Radar Server (VRS) instead of adsbscope. VRS is free and easy to install.
As you have adsbscope running, you already have the correct GNS drivers installed.

Nowadays VRS is attached to the Planebase database and updates missing plane information in the background.
In addition, it gives you the route data i.e. start and destination airports.

The data update only when online
VRS can run it offline but then cannot update the plane data.
There is no option to update historical data.

VRS stores all data in a Basestation compatible format, so you can use all other software which requires this format.

I don't use my GNS anymore but am sure I can dig out the VRS settings for the GNS if required.