Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:21:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Upgrading to Windows 10

Started by Anmer, November 24, 2019, 08:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

About 5 years ago I bought a new, high spec 64 bit desktop. I could have opted for Windows 8 Pro but "downgraded" to Windows 7.

With Microsoft support for Windows 7 ending in January I've been thinking about upgrading to Windows 10.  Not something I wanted to do but my desktop is used everyday and has never had any issues.  All the hardware components were the highest spec available at the time as I knew the PC would get hammered for many years to come.

By all accounts, the free upgrade offer from Microsoft ended in January 2018.  I was expectingt to pay but, yesterday, found this article on the Which website:

https://computing.which.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/360009159719-How-to-upgrade-from-Windows-7-to-Windows-10-for-free

So, last evening I decided to give it a try.  I make a full system backup every night using Acronis True Image so I could always revert if anything went wrong.

But nothing went wrong.  It took a couple of hours to complete the upgrade which coincided with my dinner time.  I opted to keep my apps and files and everything I've checked, so far, is working OK, even BaseStation.

I don't like the look and feel of some aspects but I'll either get used to it or find an option to go back to a "classic" version.

In conclusion, I saved over GBP £100 by following the Which process and the upgrade worked just fine.
Here to Help.

Graham Bell

I am sure that is  a decision long term you will not regret Mike,like you I opted for a free upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10 Pro some eighteen months ago and as I recall the download and instal was trouble free and on a similar timescale as with your upgrade.Bearing in mind that on this upgrade you are offered the option to be able to revert to your previous operating system if you so require and if it is at zero cost I am minded to suggest its all a win win situation.I am happy to admit that my IT skills are very limited so the alarmist stories bandied around by experts(?)  I chose to disregard and I have to say that Windows 10 has served my needs admirably.I do find it curious however why people are reticent in updating equipment especially, as mentioned, there is no financial outlay.People out there,I am sure. with far more technical knowledge than me will blow my innocent ramblings clear out of the water but surely if Microsoft,IOS and others spend huge budgets on R&D to the benefit of the end user why not grab a slice and perhaps enjoy a more secure system.
Regards-
G.B.

Anmer

Thanks Graham.

I think most of us become familiar with our surroundings and changes are not always welcome.  But in this instance, sticking with Windows 7 is not an advisable option.

I was so pleased I didn't have to pay.
Here to Help.

IanH

The need to change to Win10 is driving my thoughts about upgrading to new PCs for my wife and I. That way we can do a controlled upgrade to check all the software works - too many times we have found incompatibilites, usually with hardware but also with software, e.g. older Adobe software not workinn well with high-res monitors. Hopefully we wil not have to bale out of the Win10 upgrade

I'm using Win10 on my work laptop and not that impressed. But using it on my own laptop with "Classic Shell" removes some of the pain. Sadly the work laptop is locked down.

We shall see how it goes but two new Ryzen 5 3600 to replace 8-year old Intel i5-2500k should remove some of the pain - I hope.

Anmer

Although, as yet, I've not found any previously installed software (now called "apps") that doesn't work with Win 10, there are some challenges, especially getting the environment to work as it did.  For example, changing notification sounds back to what they were.  And seeing "Recent Places" in Windows Explorer.

Once again, I think Microsoft has tried to be too clever and now basic changes are more difficult.  Google is being worked hard to find and work around these idiosyncracies.
Here to Help.