Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:56:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

July Release of AirNav navdata.db

Started by Anmer, July 03, 2012, 08:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

AirNav has announced an updated version of the navdata.db file.

AirNav seems to have accepted my earlier recommendation:

"The aircraft data is maintained by a handful of hard working volunteers and I can see no reason why AirNav doesn't release a new file every month as promised.  The major effort is maintaining the data and the volunteers deserve recognition by seeing their work published on a regular basis."

But not this bit:

"Better still, change the process so that changes can be distributed dynamically rather than expect RadarBox users to download a new file and replace the current one.  This would be more efficient and avoid locally made changes being overwritten."

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=7084.msg81598#msg81598

Health warnings apply as the new file will overwrite your existing data.
Here to Help.

Anmer

Why I always issue a Health Warning about these updated navdata.db files:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=7084.msg81653#msg81653

"Looking for help here guys !

I downloaded the new Navdata file and on going into database explorer and checking the aircraft table, I do indeed have 163,320 aircraft. So far, so good.

However, on checking the routes table in database explorer, I only have 42 routes showing (shock, horror) and even those are not showing fully when I click on aircraft in 'My Flights'. For example, a route which should be Valencia to Palma shows up in the details section next to the photos as being from LEVC to LEPA exactly the same as shown in the 'My Flights' grid. In other words the section next to the photos is not showing the full airport name. On checking the airports table it would appear many of the airports are also now missing including LEMD for Madrid.

Can anyone help in layman's terms with instructions in how to get back to the DB before the latest download or how to retrieve all my routes information as the update has worked for aircraft but seems to have caused a major problem with routes.

Thanks"

"Similar problem with airports - it's not recognising airports like EGLL, KMIA, KLAX etc.

If you didn't do a backup before you did the update, then shame on you ;-)

But all is not lost - the installer program does a backup anyway - you should find in your AirNav RadarBox/Data folder a file called navdata-backup.db3

Just move your current Navdata.db3 file out of that folder and then rename navdata-backup.db3 to Navdata.db3 and all should be well.

If you're using the lovely Navdata Editing Tool, you can use that to play with the different tables and select the ones you want to use - for example keeping all the old tables execept the Aircraft one.

I've asked several times that the updater allows us to choose which tables to update, but so far it's fallen on deaf ears"

Why, oh why doesn't AirNav invest some development resource is sorting out this update process (as recommended so many times) and fixing RadarBox bugs?

It promised that, once ShipTrax was released, it would turn it's attention to RadarBox.

ShipTrax was released in January 2012 (and appears to have been a total flop) but instead of working on RadarBox, AirNav seems to be developing a new aircraft tracking product similar the FlightRadar24.com.

I think it's given up on the RadarBox receiver and software.  For the sake of its existing customers, I hope I'm wrong.

Here to Help.

Sun Worshipper

QuoteWhy, oh why doesn't AirNav invest some development resource is sorting out this update process (as recommended so many times) and fixing RadarBox bugs?

There is no revenue stream in fixing an outdated system.  However, there is money to be made with their latest potential folly.

Once again we've all been lied to, an Air Nav promise is not worth the bandwidth it's written on!

Anmer

From one of the database volunteers:

"Thanks Syd, I missed those replies and therefore had missed the nature of the problem being experienced.   I will ask Airnav what they have been up to as something appears to have gone ammis in the creation of the Navdata.  As you can see from the opening of the thread the only change was to the aircraft table but evidently not"

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=7084.msg81808#msg81808
Here to Help.

Anmer

It's now 2 weeks since AirNav released the "faulty" navdata.db which still hasn't been corrected.

Someone asked today on the AirNav forum what was happening and this is the reply from one the updaters:

"Chased them up, had an updated Navdata sent to me for testing, still the same problem, awaiting a further response"

What on earth is going on at AirNav, if anything?

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=7084.msg82059#msg82059
Here to Help.

viking9

Come on, Anmer. Give them a chance. They're obviously concentrating on getting the Mlat version of ANRB to market as they promised they would...  ;)
Tom

Anmer

Oops Tom, nearly forgot about AirNav's oft promised Mlat.  In fact I had to trawl back as far as January 2010 to find the first "promise" of Mlat from AirNav:

"Despite 95% of the forum members being enthusiasts RadarBox is being used by many professional clients who can't afford to access data that "sometimes" can be unreliable and other times be correct. This explains why we haven't included MLAT on RadarBox now. Anyway RadarBox is well known for having everything inside its software: no need for external addons at all (the application is still 100% compatible with port 30003 output).

So it is obvious that MLAT will be included in the application too. Taking in account we have most of the time 5x to 10x more network users than PP it is easy to understand that the result of this implementation will be more accurate with our software.

Stby on this one. As usual we will always innovate so having a RadarBox receiver guarantees that you are "in good hands"."

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4093.msg42828#msg42828

And then, still January 2010:

"1- MLAT: exactly what we've told before. As withe other features on our software/hardware expect something much better than what PP offers."

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4093.msg42933#msg42933

Let's put the first quote into perpective.

I've just checked the AirNav stats on maximum sharers in the last 24 hours compared to those sharing with PlanePlotter:

AirNav = 475 (average = 398)
PlanePlotter = 809 (last 3 minutes)

Looks like PlanePlotter has twice as many sharers as RadarBox rather than one tenth as claimed by AirNav.

I also read the other day that Bev at the COAA took just 3 months to develop Mlat.  Over 30 months later and still no sign of AirNav's version!

Lest we forget how much AirNav promises and how little it delivers.

Or maybe I'm being disingenuous:

"It's widely known that the way PP does MLAT is extremely unreliable. It was a clever of doing MLAT with the hardware the market offers nowadays. When we have our own MLAT solution is will be accurate and reliable otherwise we won't release it."  :)

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4720.msg47201#msg47201
Here to Help.