Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:00:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

USB Stick Mode-S Receiver

Started by Anmer, February 05, 2012, 02:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

:P

I had heard that the Micro ADSB is only effective down to 3000ft and then contact is lost. Is this true?

I am looking for a small system to take out so will monitor descending traffic down to landing and also any passing high level aircraft.

Anmer

I've not heard this but that doesn't mean it's not true.

Did you hear in from a reliable source?  If it were true, I'd have expected lots of mentions.
Here to Help.

Bethsalem

I've had traffic well below 3000ft on approach and departing from Reus Airport with my microADSB.

I'm using the latest version of the firmware (v9). I think the firmware version (v5) that originally shipped was buggy and could lead to errors in reporting contacts.

Stephen

Ken

Thanks guys. I've ordered one so I'll soon see.

Ken

kendl

Quote from: Ken on February 29, 2012, 04:50:58 PM

Ken

But not too soon ;) My order was shipped out on the 20th Feb.  I think it takes about three weeks for delivery - and I thout Royal Mail were slow LOL

Ken

cyphillm3

Must say that I've been impressed by the Micro-ADSB from Miro. Works well with Planeplotter, and has been really useful when out.

At the Sheraton Deira (Dubai), it picked up the a/c just as they lifted off. At Hong Kong (Marriott Sky City) it was equally as good, with aircraft on taxi being detected, with no problem, and arriving aircraft, being picked up as they passed my hotel window. (due to location of the hotel)

At home (Manchester), as a standalone, it isn't so good for me, but planeplotter has plenty of sharers that fill the gaps.

Mine was delivered in 10 days, and Miro is great to deal with.

Anmer

Quote from: Ken on February 29, 2012, 04:50:58 PM

Ken

Have you ordered direct from Miro or the GNS5890 from Transair?
Here to Help.

Brian

Anyone using/testing this receiver yet ?

Anmer

Quote from: Brian on April 13, 2012, 05:48:33 PM
Anyone using/testing this receiver yet ?

Isn't it a microADSB in a different wrapper?
Here to Help.

Bethsalem

It is, and less than half the price of the GNS 5890 (£80 instead of £160).

I haven't used a GNS 5890, so I can't comment if it's better or worse than the microADSB stick.

JmGarcia

Hi,

That connector takes the antenna.

It is male SMA ?
Mi abuelo deci­a: Los aviones vuelan porque Dios quiere y los helicopteros ni Dios sabe porque vuelan.
(SBS-1eR, Bullion2 y microADSB, desarrollos propios en xHarbour, xBase, FiveWin, Xailer y Borland)

Anmer

It's not clear what the connection is.

The microADSB (the GNS5890 is based on the microADSB) has a "female" SMA.  The connector from an antenna is usually a "male" SMA.  Maybe we can assume this is the same for the GNS5890 or contact GNS direct:

http://www.gns-gmbh.com/shop/xtc/shop_content.php?coID=7&XTCsid=044ceb19d358e861f7f44bce7a49cf6b

See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMA_connector

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]
Here to Help.

JmGarcia

I want to be able to put the antenna of 1090Mhz without wire united microADSB.

See examples:

Also the power to have an adapter like the one of ejejmplo:

Mi abuelo deci­a: Los aviones vuelan porque Dios quiere y los helicopteros ni Dios sabe porque vuelan.
(SBS-1eR, Bullion2 y microADSB, desarrollos propios en xHarbour, xBase, FiveWin, Xailer y Borland)

Anmer

Here to Help.

JmGarcia

Quote from: Anmer on April 24, 2012, 09:01:18 AM
You can use BNC-SMS adapter?
No, I outside want that the base of the antenna of GNS-5890 the male SMA.

I am waiting for answer of the manufacturer to near the type of connector in the base of the antenna 1090Mhz.

Thanks.