Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:58:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

AirNav Comstation Teardown

Started by GregoryGHarding, September 13, 2015, 08:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregoryGHarding

received this from airnav to collect data for them, they provide the equipment free, including proper antenna capable of mode-s/GPS/acars/vhf, however there is no output for end user to collect data. its goes straight to airnav. i've connected up the USB and installed some serial drivers, i can connect to the box but it just repeats its product name and serial number.

i decided id tear it down and show you whats inside because i have not seen nor heard of this box before and some of you will know more about it then i do.

http://imgur.com/a/jDHsl#0

EDIT:
Mainboard pic in album is blurry. heres better

http://i.imgur.com/QoiVD6e.jpg

Anmer

Thanks for sharing this.

If I understand correctly, other than hosting the receiver and feeding data to AirNav, you were unable to make use of its received data for your sole use?

Was there just the one antenna or different ones for GPS and VHF/UHF?
Here to Help.

GregoryGHarding

Quote from: Anmer on September 13, 2015, 08:13:35 AM
Thanks for sharing this.

If I understand correctly, other than hosting the receiver and feeding data to AirNav, you were unable to make use of its received data for your sole use?

Was there just the one antenna or different ones for GPS and VHF/UHF?

data is fed directly to airnav. no access for myself. one multi freq antenna

Anmer

Thanks.

Did you get offered a free RadarBox24 "premium" account or any other "soft" benefits?
Here to Help.

GregoryGHarding

GregoryGHarding

Quote from: Anmer on September 13, 2015, 08:16:56 AM
Thanks.

Did you get offered a free RadarBox24 "premium" account or any other "soft" benefits?

"Elite"

Anmer

Quote from: GregoryGHarding on September 13, 2015, 08:21:50 AM
"Elite"

Whereas FR24 provide free Premium apps and website and FlightAware a free Enerprise account, AirNav offers a $2.00 app?

I can't determine whose "single-board" it uses.  Any names on the boards?

And I don't see a card slot?  Is there an SD card?
Here to Help.

GregoryGHarding

i posted a better mainboard pic, it runs an A20 dualcore processor, thats all i can get out of it. it has pads for a micro sd dc power, and hdmi, but their unsoldered. it lookscompletly custom, as theres silkscreenings on the pcb like "RB-CPU-2.0"

Anmer

Thanks.

The absence of an HDMI interface and SD card slot could prove a bit of a challenge to diagnose issues and upgrade firmware/software.

Out of interest how did you become a host?  Did AirNav contact you to offer the kit?
Here to Help.

GregoryGHarding

Quote from: Anmer on September 13, 2015, 08:41:06 AM
Thanks.

The absence of an HDMI interface and SD card slot could prove a bit of a challenge to diagnose issues and upgrade firmware/software.

Out of interest how did you become a host?  Did AirNav contact you to offer the kit?

i applied to host, a few months later they got back to me, there is zero coverate in my location for them other than FAA data

Anmer

Quote from: GregoryGHarding on September 13, 2015, 08:44:41 AM
i applied to host, a few months later they got back to me, there is zero coverate in my location for them other than FAA data

OK.  I hadn't seen AirNav inviting hosts for the new CommStation.
Here to Help.

GregoryGHarding

Quote from: Anmer on September 13, 2015, 09:11:16 AM
Quote from: GregoryGHarding on September 13, 2015, 08:44:41 AM

OK.  I hadn't seen AirNav inviting hosts for the new CommStation.

Have you heard about the commstation before today?

Anmer

Quote from: GregoryGHarding on September 13, 2015, 09:17:19 AM

Yes, there was a post on the AirNav forum a week ago which appeared to be a surprise to the forum members.  But nothing else and searches don't come up with anything.
Here to Help.

GregoryGHarding

Quote from: Anmer on September 13, 2015, 09:23:21 AM
Quote from: GregoryGHarding on September 13, 2015, 09:17:19 AM
Can u link me to the thread/post. I can't find it

Yes, there was a post on the AirNav forum a week ago which appeared to be a surprise to the forum members.  But nothing else and searches don't come up with anything.