Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:29:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Microadsb and Windows 10

Started by thedouth, August 21, 2016, 02:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedouth

If I buy a microadsb is it ok for use with windows 10.1

Anmer

Welcome

What software do you plan to use with the microADSB receiver?
Here to Help.

thedouth

probably the one supplied with the receiver plus plane plotter

Ben

Anmer

PlanePlotter will run on Win 10.

I don't think the microADSB ships with any software.  From where are you buying it?
Here to Help.

thedouth

The only place I have found it is Anteni.net . It comes with a cd which I assume has adsbscope on it

Anmer

Do you have a link to the webpage that lists it for sale?

Have you considered a Pro Stick instead?
Here to Help.

thedouth

www.microadsb.com is the address . I was looking at microadsb as I am not the most computer savvy and would not know how to set up a pro stick . I would need an idiot guide. Do you mean the flightaware pro stick

Anmer

Quote from: thedouth on August 21, 2016, 04:00:24 PM
www.microadsb.com is the address . I was looking at microadsb as I am not the most computer savvy and would not know how to set up a pro stick . I would need an idiot guide. Do you mean the flightaware pro stick

The FlightAware Pro Stick running on a Raspberry Pi will be a lot less expensive with as good or even better performance.

You will need to get a separate antenna, depending on your local circumstances - access to roof or not.

The install is very easy and you will be able to use it with PlanePlotter.
Here to Help.

IanH

78 euros delivered. Approx £67

RPi2, FA pro stick plus filter  £41, £13, £17 - all from Amazon = £71 (or leave out the filter for now?)

Idiots' guides available  ;)

I agree with Anmer, this will be better than a MicroADSB - I've got one of those here in a draw - no idea if it runs on Win10 and not likely to bother finding out.

Planeplotter will cost you extra so why not try one of the other FREE display programs?

A wonderful program modesdeco2 converts between data formats and allows various display programs to be used. Several people here can suggest the required Windows batch files to make it work.

Let us know what you think of the idea!

thedouth

I already use planeplotter . I have a radarbox. Just looking at options regarding something small to take out. Only reason I looked at microadsb is that I don't need to download any programs . As I say I am not great with computers

Anmer

Quote from: thedouth on August 22, 2016, 01:16:57 PM
Only reason I looked at microadsb is that I don't need to download any programs . As I say I am not great with computers

Buy an RPi 3 package, including case and power supply.  Then buy a Pro Stick.  All from Amazon.

Then download PiAware for free.  Install PiAware on an SD card and plug it in.  It's so easy, you don't need any special computer skills.

Where is your RadarBox antenna?  Is it the original magmount?  With a BNC/SMA connector you could use the same antenna.  And you'll have a far superior set up and see local MLAT plots.

Seriously, it's a No Brainer.  I have three Pro Sticks here and they out perform my SBS-3.
Here to Help.

Triple7

Buy an RPi 3 package, including case and power supply.  Then buy a Pro Stick.  All from Amazon.

That really is sound advice, I have been running that set-up - OK with an RPi2 for 6 months now and it does indeed outperform my SBS (1er in my case).

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

IanH

Reading your comment that you want to take something out and about, the RTL-SDR dongle is still the best option for the price.

I've got a microADSB and it doesn't perform as well as a dongle (there is a comparison on this website of my impressions http://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,4357.0.html). But that was 2 years ago and now a dongle is what I take on holiday with me with a 10" tablet and a small antenna. Been to Spain, Greece and USA with that combination and worked fine.

Use dump1090 (or RTL1090) running on Windows to feed PP and you are seeing all the flights showing position data around you.

Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Digital-USB-2-0-TV-Stick-DVB-T-DAB-RTL2832U-R820T2-SDR-Tuner-Receiver-D9V8-/222187438010?hash=item33bb673fba:g:LyAAAOSwCqVXiLlU although feedback is not brilliant. Similar from a multitude of other sellers who are probably the same person.

The aerial won't be brilliznt but it will show you what can be done.

Your comment
QuoteAs I say I am not great with computers
indicates that you might not be able to get the microADSb workign anyway - I recall it is not simple. Example of problems: http://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php/topic,5120.0.html

So spend less than £10 and give it a try - we are more likely to be able to talk you through installing software for a dongle than for the microadsb  ;D