Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:26:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

remote scanner possible?

Started by IanH, July 02, 2012, 08:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanH

I've managed with a handheld Radio Shack scanner for many years since it was only used occasionally. I'm now tempted by something better (prompted not a little by the for sale items here).

Trouble is I'm not an aerial and coax person. I want to put my scanner in the loft near the SBS-1e and then use it from downstairs. The SBS-1e works fine over ethernet so how do make a scanner perform remotely? I see that there is remote control software to operate scanners (RS-232 to USB connector?) and then I need to get the audio downstairs.

Some ideas are going round in my head but has anyone already done similar?

And what do I buy? To keep costs down, it probably won't be new, so are scanners like the Bearcat UBC785 the way to go?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Or do I just sit here in silence?  ;)

Ian

9a4qv

Did you solve your problems?
I see in your signature that you have the E4000 and R820 tuners so where is the problem?

You can run this tuners over the IP/TCP, you do not need a pc upstairs, you can plug the stick to the cheap Raspberry Pi and have all controls from the PC down over the network.

Adam