Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

February 03, 2023, 05:19:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.
Members
  • Total Members: 6466
  • Latest: hhrhhr
Stats
  • Total Posts: 76508
  • Total Topics: 13893
  • Online Today: 45
  • Online Ever: 783
  • (December 28, 2022, 05:15:59 PM)
Users Online

Latest Post

Latest File

Author Topic: Virtual Radar Alternatives?  (Read 947 times)

Offline ben2311

• York Radar
Virtual Radar Alternatives?
« on: July 06, 2022, 03:00:36 PM »
Hi,
I am running a Pi4 with VRS (basestation.sqb) , I have tried many different OS and VRS versions to try and get the VRS aircraft pictures back but with no luck so are there any other programs that would let me edit my database while also showing my a picture of the said aircraft like VRS used to do.
It just makes it had to pick out the custom paint jobs on aircraft when the pictures aren't displayed and it's not practical to find a picture for each one.
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 03:08:32 PM by ben2311 »

Offline rikgale

• Top Poster
    • CornwallVRS
Re: Virtual Radar Alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 04:36:49 PM »
As you are running on a Pi 4, you could install Tar1090. That has pictures from planespotter.net as an option. It won't allow you to edit your DB as you go, but could allow you to cross reference for pictures more easily.

https://github.com/wiedehopf/tar1090

R :)
Feeding: FR24, FA, PF, OS, RB, 360R, RV, PW, SS, adsb.fi /.lol /.one, SSW + CornwallVRS
All ZIP files also on GitHub (updated: 11/10/22)

Offline ben2311

• York Radar
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 05:02:18 PM »
Thanks Rik, will give that a go, just wish the Pi version of VRS was the same as the PC's   ;D

Offline rikgale

• Top Poster
    • CornwallVRS
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 05:08:16 PM »
Essentially the Linux version and PC version are near as damn it the same. (or they should be bar a few cosmetic things) Getting pictures from airport.com (or where ever it used to pull pics from) was disabled a longish while ago,  you can set it up to add your own if you want to. Are you running the same version on Windows and Linux?

Is your VRS on the internet, I'd be interested to take a look :)

https://www.cornwallvrs.duckdns.org/vrs/desktop.html

R:)
Feeding: FR24, FA, PF, OS, RB, 360R, RV, PW, SS, adsb.fi /.lol /.one, SSW + CornwallVRS

Offline ben2311

• York Radar
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 05:14:25 PM »
I will get it put on the internet when I have rebuilt the PI software :) .  Yeah it is version 2.4.4 that I have on both but the Pi's pictures were disabled but the PC's weren't.  I can't even decide on the OS to put on the PI, well at least with the Pi off it's given me a chance to change the silhouettes over to nose and tails :) 

Offline rikgale

• Top Poster
    • CornwallVRS
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 05:21:17 PM »
I would recommend Raspbian Bullseye 64-bit as your OS. Ideally the lite version if you are comfortable running a Pi headless.

If you want a good guide to building an all singing and all dancing (feeding) install on your pi then I can recommend https://sdr-enthusiasts.gitbook.io/ads-b/

All 4 of my feeders are based on this and it really allowed me to expand my horizons - in all senses of the word.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 05:23:33 PM by rikgale »

Offline ben2311

• York Radar
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 05:25:15 PM »
Thanks Rik, will give it a go, have never used Docker before but will be fun learning how it works :)

Offline rikgale

• Top Poster
    • CornwallVRS
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 05:28:49 PM »
Good luck. Let me know how you get on :)

Join the associated Discord server - helpful if you get stuck (which you shouldn't as it's a fairly comprehensive guide). Also a good place to broaden horizons further ;)