Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:32:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Fallen signal

Started by vetcesar, April 08, 2016, 03:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vetcesar

Good morning.
I have a FR24 equipment since almost 1 year ago. My radar lost coverage since >200 nm to 140 and now it has only 60-70 nm coverage. All of this happened after rainy days. What is the cause of this?. It's too difficult to have access to my antenna because its location. What can I do? Thank you for your help

Anmer

Welcome.

The problem is possibly water/moisture at the antenna connection.

I think FR24 recommends using self-amalgamating tape to wrap around the coax connection to keep out moisture.  I used it and have had no signal drop in 10 years.

If you can access the antenna, try tape, after drying out the connector.  And check for rust.
Here to Help.

vetcesar

Thanks a lot. I'll try it

skaw

Having this problem too right now. Also after some pretty rainy days. Will have to check the connections for any corrosion. But also my adapter-cable, which goes through the window, was broken. Is it possible, that the receiver, or antenna takes any damage, if the ground of the antenna cable is broken? Have a non-active A3 ADS-B Antenna ( http://shop.jetvision.de/epages/64807909.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64807909/Products/67020 )

I was also wondering how much impact the actual weather conditions have on the range/received signals.

birdie

Quote from: Anmer on April 08, 2016, 04:14:51 PM
Welcome.

The problem is possibly water/moisture at the antenna connection.

I think FR24 recommends using self-amalgamating tape to wrap around the coax connection to keep out moisture.  I used it and have had no signal drop in 10 years.

If you can access the antenna, try tape, after drying out the connector.  And check for rust.

Proper installation practice is very important.

My antenna was installed on 29 Aug 2013 and until today, I never suffer from any reduction of range after heavy thunderstorms.
In fact, during thunderstorm at certain direction - I experienced INCREASED in range on certain directions ( I guess the rain acted as reflector for the signal ). We have heavy thunderstorms and high humidity.

The connector's contacts were coated with a thin layer of " conducting grease " which kept out moisture and 3M self-amalgamating tape wrapped around the coaxial connectors to keep out moisture. In addition, 3 layers of PVC tapes were wrapped over the 3M tapes.

I still maintained around 285 nm, sometimes more.
To give "Unique Coverage of WSSS" in www.Radarbox24.com !