Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 11:38:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Antenna feed split or Pi raw output to SBS? Advice please

Started by Mr Miserable, August 12, 2019, 09:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Miserable

So for many years I fed FR24 with data from my SBS.  I like FR24 and use it a lot when I am away from home, which is quite frankly, too often.  So when they stopped taking the windows feed, I relunctantly went down the pi route.  The Pi3b works but when I'm home I do miss the basestation display. (perhaps it's just me).  The question is do I split somehow the antenna feed so I can feed my SBS Puck and the Pi or is there a way to feed raw data from the PI to the PC?
I hope that makes sense.
Advice appreciated.
Mr M

Nigel

Hi

I use modesmixer2 to do this. I'm using the FlightAware dump1090 on my Pi. I used to run modesmixer2 on my PC to feed Basestation but now have it running on the Pi. Both work equally well. Modesmixer2 is available here:  http://xdeco.org/?page_id=30

Once modesmixer2 is running, all you then do is include details of your network in 'Hardware Settings' in Basestation and change the 'Data Source' settings from your Puck to network input.

This is a short overview and I'm happy to provide more detailed advice if that would help.

Nigel

Mr Miserable

That sounds just the job.  Much appreciated
So the data will go from the Pi to the PC wirelessly? Even better.
I'll have a go at setting it up but standby for a cry for help!
I'll give it a go tomorrow
Thanks
Mr M

IanH

My comment was going to be:

"Don't split the antenna feed - that will reduce the range. Instead split the decoded raw data."

Which is exactly what Nigel is suggesting.

Although he is running Flightaware dump1090, it is also possible to add in the FR24 feeder if you want to keep that as well.

The advantage of Flightaware's software is that it can feed back the MLAT data to you.

Anmer

Quote from: IanH on August 12, 2019, 11:10:34 PM
"Don't split the antenna feed - that will reduce the range. Instead split the decoded raw data."

One can split the signal, albeit at some additional expense.  I use a Mini-Circuits 4-way SMA splitter, bought pre-used from Ebay, with no signal degradation.  But, even pre-used, they're not cheap.

Preferably, as Nigel and IanH have recommended, go the ModeSMixer route.  Plus, if you also feed FlightAware, you get your local MLAT plots too.
Here to Help.