New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

February 25, 2021, 07:05:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 52666
  • Total Topics: 12716
  • Online Today: 32
  • Online Ever: 78
  • (January 15, 2021, 06:24:24 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 22
Total: 26

Donations

Donations help with annual costs and keep Radarspotting free of advertising. Thank you.

Latest Post

Latest File

Links & Files

Silhouettes, Profiles and Operator Logos

21st February 2021. Latest Zip file from Chris Alder now available.

If you're looking for a bulk download, we have over 66,000 aircraft silhouettes, profiles and operator logos available in bmp file format, 85x20 pixels. You can find all the Zip files here.  

For help installing these files, there's a free Guide here

Some of the Latest Additions:

Author Topic: Looking for a SBS-1EM  (Read 374 times)

Offline Faramir

Looking for a SBS-1EM
« on: April 23, 2020, 05:25:00 AM »
My Ethernet module for the SBS-1 broke down so I'm interested in a replacement.

Offline Pipo

• OSTEND-BRUGES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
Re: Looking for a SBS-1EM
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 02:08:30 PM »
you mean the inside lan connector? if you can fix it on aliexpress you can buy new connectors

Offline Faramir

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 02:34:22 PM »
Yes, that's true. The actual module itself is a Lantronics XPort3.
However, it is connected with a flatcable to the J14 connector (partly) and as the SBS-1 uses a proprietary handshake I'd like to stick to the original.
Thanks for the input!
Die handshake is nergens beschreven en Kinetic heeft die nooit vrijgegeven en als een bedrijfsgeheim gezien. (Translation: This handshake is never published and Kinetic was a closely guarded trade secret).

Offline Anmer

• Administrator
  • Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 02:54:26 PM »
I have a Kinetic utility that (I think) sets the "handshake".

Kinetic never wanted it published but I'm happy to provide it on a "one-to-one" basis.
Here to Help.

Offline Faramir

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 02:55:26 PM »
YES PLEASE!!

Offline Pipo

• OSTEND-BRUGES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 07:08:02 PM »
What is kinetic handshake if i may ask?

Offline Faramir

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 08:04:02 AM »
The handshake is like a validation. BaseStation.exe uses it to decrypt the data coming from the device. Kinetic Avionics decided to encrypt the data befor sending it out so the SBS-1 device could only be decrypted by BaseStation.  BaseStation made it available to other programs via port 30003 or 30006 (forgot which one).
For example, I was contemplating buying an Air!Squitter I asked the people at Jetvision if it could feed the BaseStation program. It could not because Kinetic never provided the encryption algorithm. As Kinetic Avionics no longer exists that will never happen. There are some ways to circumvent it but that's a real burden.
While modern ADS-B receivers are great in their own right, the ones I looked at only show the current situation but I miss a database!One of the great features of the SBS family is that database. There is so much information stored in the BaseStation database that it allows you to do all kinds of statistic analyses on the entries in that database. I particularly like to follow an airframe in it's distinguished identities. Going from operator A to operators B and so on.
But also number of Boeing aircraft vs Airbus aircraft. Most seen type, how long it was ago that an airframe was seen etc etc....
Add to it the sheer unlimited ways to customize the display. It makes BaseStation - at least for me - the default platform to work with ADS-B data!

Offline Triple7

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 01:57:20 PM »
There are some ways to circumvent it but that's a real burden.
Not really. I suggest you have a look at these 2 free programs ModeSDeco2 and / or ModeSMixer2:

http://xdeco.org/

If you want to view the output from many different types of receivers, then MSM2 can transcode into BS format and you see the BaseStation display exactly as though it was connected to an SBS receiver. Additionally, you can view the output on any compatible device that can run BaseStation.

If you use an SBS you can have multiple copies of BS running simultaneously anywhere on your network. Something you can’t do with a direct SBS to BS connection.

ModeSDeco2 will also allow you to connect e.g. a dongle and decode the off-air signals and transcode them to BS format all in one program.

So rather than seek to buy a replacement SBS, why not consider perhaps a FA dongle, use the dump1090fa program to do the decoding and supply data to FA. You get returned Mlat data to you, so using MSM2 you can transcode both streams - ADSB and Mlat into BS format and see everything in BS. This provides a unique view as to see Mlat traffic in BS is a bit of a novelty!

Come back if you need more but there is lots of info on the above two programs here on the forum.

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Offline Faramir

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 04:13:20 PM »
Somehow when I used the MSM2 program, the data from my SDR stick (RTL-SDR and Airspy) did go into BaseStation, but for reasons unknown to me there appeared every other second or so a spureous Mode-S code in my database. Hundreds within a couple of hours. That's why I put them aside.
Last week I bought an Air!Squitter and that's running fine with all feeders configured and enabled. Unfortunately port 30003 is not available without the commercial license. I verified by Jetvision if for this purpose (a feed for BaseStation) a full commercial license is needed and indeed it is. There's nothing wrong with that but for me that is a bit to expensive.

So when my SBS-1 is available via Ethernet again I still have a source for BaseStation.
I'll have a go again with ModeSMixer, perhaps a new try yield some result.
Thank you for your input Tim!

Offline Triple7

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 04:45:01 PM »
Maybe try one or both of these options in MSM2:

From the modesmixer2.txt file -

ICAO24 validation settings for Mode S and ADS-B:

+ added --valid-modes <arg> - for Mode S these values indicate how many times an aircraft's ICAO24 has to be seen over a given number of seconds in messages that can be tested for corruption before it is assumed to be correct in this cycle of validation.
The default values are 0:5, max 100:30.
The default values are 0 messages over 5 seconds and modesmixer2 will never accept an ICAO24 from a message where it cannot be sure that the parity is correct.
Also the filter simultaneously uses other current flight parameters like altitude and number of received messages.

+ added --valid-adsb <arg> - for ADS-B these values indicate how many times an aircraft's ICAO24 has to be seen over a given number of seconds in messages that can be tested for corruption before it is assumed to be correct in this cycle of validation.
The default values are 6:60, max. 10:60.
Also the filter simultaneously uses other current flight parameters like altitude, ground speed, heading and number of received messages.

Perhaps that might stop the spurious hex codes being added to your DB.

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Offline Anmer

• Administrator
  • Top Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 05:27:33 PM »
Last week I bought an Air!Squitter and that's running fine with all feeders configured and enabled. Unfortunately port 30003 is not available without the commercial license. I verified by Jetvision if for this purpose (a feed for BaseStation) a full commercial license is needed and indeed it is. There's nothing wrong with that but for me that is a bit to expensive.

According to the Jetvision website, the Commercial Licence is only needed to use the Air!Squitter "in a commercial environment".

I've carefully read the Air!Squitter content on the Jetvion website and there's nothing to state that local data isn't available without the licence.  But at Euro 357, this is a a heavy price to access one's own data (and have the option to turnoff data sharing to the Jetvision network).

Guenter has always produced a quality product but I do question his latest pricing strategy, especially for the aviation enthusiast who has supported his business in the past.
Here to Help.

Offline Faramir

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 06:13:44 PM »
To be honest, I was a little bit disappointed when Guenter stated that a full commercial license is needed. However, it's his decision to make. Perhaps that in the future this data will become available for local non-commercial use.

Offline Anmer

• Administrator
  • Top Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 06:55:16 PM »
I'm sure others will be disappointed to find the Air!Squitter doesn't make one's own data available on a local port.

Euro 300 is a lot to pay for a receiver these days, especially one that locks down the data.

Now where have I heard that expression before?
Here to Help.

Offline Faramir

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 08:23:09 PM »
That may be true, on the other hand are the built-in GPS receiver, MLAT and FLARM great options to have in one integrated receiver. Both ADS-B and GPS signals come from one antenna. FLARM has it's own antenna and works like a charm. Statistics, receiver range, receiver performance is all present out of the box. All is presented through a local website so no software to install. While I rather would have sacrificed one feeder option for a local port it's no showstopper for me. I'm very pleased with my Air!Squitter!

Only annoying thing is that I still need a designated SBS-1 antenna for which I have no room.Besides that, I'm hooked on BaseStation. No other program gives me so much possibilities with the received data. A SQLite database and complete configurable display. BaseStation has it's limitations but it's in no way obsolete!

Offline Faramir

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 08:35:42 PM »

Maybe try one or both of these options in MSM2:

Well, I tried MSM2 for a couple of days. Ran Dump1090 as input and I tried ADSBspy also. Both worked! I was able to use the ouptput of MSM2 in BaseStation. Ran all from my Windows machine, next test is to use a RPi4 as source.

Thanks again for remindig me of this program!