Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 04:32:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Problems since inst Windows 10 update 1803

Started by Roadrunner, May 06, 2018, 10:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadrunner

Hi there,
After installing the above update on Friday, I have been unable to Save files that I have opened to amend, or transfer. For example, I open a file in Excel, update as usual and then Save, however I then get an error message which tells me that the file is no longer located at the place I opened it so cannot be saved...... I can amend files and save them on the Cloud but I don't really want my files there. Also this morning I got a photo from our family that I sent to my holding area on the PC (Transfer Folder) , I renamed and captioned this file but, again, when I hit save I got the error message again which I have added below. Any ideas please?

Regards Mike

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

mhm

Mike
Colon Cancer Survivor for the Time Being

Roadrunner

Sorry for taking so long to respond Mike. Have used a variation on this to sort my PC. It appears from the article that W7 to W10 upgrades had this problem when W10 first came out in 2015?. With mine I have only had the PC for 6 weeks and it was W10 1709 as delivered so this is the first update. A friend took their PC to a PC shop and they had no idea what to do. All the "my" document files and Picture files had been set to Read only and the PC would not let me (the administrator) amend them....Another great update from Microsoft.

Anmer

Hi Mike (Roadrunner)

Did you solve the file saving issue?
Here to Help.

Roadrunner

Mike,

Yes I did but not exactly the way they said. Basically I had to change the permissions for all the files in the folders with names starting with My (as in My Word my Excel etc as they were all showing as Read only and I could ot do so from the drop down boxes in each file so had to deeper. I followed the instructions near the end of the link you showed. I am not completely sure what actually caused the files to free up but they did!

Regards Mike

Anmer

Thanks Mike.

Good to know it was resolved albeit with some effort.
Here to Help.

Roadrunner

I've just had another Windows 10 update 1805 loaded onto my PC. As I have already sorted the problem with 1804 I am not sure whether this would have cured it anyway.....