Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 01:59:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

No traffic showing

Started by Tschernui Woron, August 27, 2019, 11:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tschernui Woron

Hi all. I'm hoping that there is a solution to my issue out there. I have a new Windows 10 laptop, on which I have ADU Logging software installed, and also Kinetic Basestation. My source is a Nooelec DVB-T dongle. Steve of ADU had helped me set everything up, and all was working, except for very low traffic coverage, due to the inadequate antenna supplied with the dongle.

I have now purchased a purpose designed aerial for use with the 1090 dump that this system uses. When I fire everything up the other day, I get the ftd2xx.dll missing error for basestation. I put the file back in place, and now I do not see any traffic whatsoever with the new antenna or the original twig plugged in. Not only that, my original SBS-1 box that still works perfectly fine on the ancient laptop I used to use, also refuses to co-operate with this new laptop.  I am at my wits end with this, as I have spent a decent amount of money to get 0 results.

HELP PLEASE!!

Anmer

Welcome.

Can you describe your full setup - hardware and software.

Also, what make is the new antenna and what connector type?  If it's SMA, please check it's not RP-SMA (Wiki "SMA Connector").
Here to Help.

Tschernui Woron

Hi Anmer,

Set up is as follows:

Computer: Acer Aspire running Intel Celeron 2.16GHz processor. Windows 10 64 bit OS, 4GB Ram.

ADSB: Nooelec DVB-T dongle running through the usual Modesdeco2, and 1090 dump. Also using Kinetic Basestation software, and ADU Logging software with the SBS utility.

Antenna: Lowflyingwales Internal/External ADS-B Antenna. 5dB Gain, 75 ohms Impedance. Connection is an MCX male plug specific to the dongle type, specifically designed to work with the DVB-T dongles that can be used with dump1090 on PC or Raspberry Pi's.

If this helps, then please advise accordingly, as my hair is turning grey with this whole issue!!

Cheers

Tschernui Woron

Tschernui Woron

Further to the last information, I am getting the following message when running the Modesdeco2 batch file

C:\ADUDownloads\ADURadar>modesdeco2.exe --gain 48 --freq-correction 62 --sbs10001 10001
2019-08-29 10:48:48.148  INFO     ModeSDeco2 v.20150308
2019-08-29 10:48:48.168  INFO     Magnetic declinations coefficient file wmm.cof load successful
2019-08-29 10:48:48.247  INFO     Using device:  0 already in use)
libusb_open error -12
2019-08-29 10:48:48.275  ERROR    Can't open Receiver: sdr_open(): No error

sergsero

Hello,

1. Download and install zadig https://zadig.akeo.ie/ (Windows application that installs WinUSB driver), which will install (or replace a Windows native DVB TV driver) on a special driver to access the dongle bypassing a system and allow other programs to turn a DVB TV receiver to SDR.

2. Download here http://xdeco.org/?page_id=30#md2 and use the current version of modesdeco2 - modesdeco2_windows_20180429.zip (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aV0ZNNZEOnHbpDEp5zqD4CPudcvRBlj5). No other libraries or drivers are required - the program will manage the dongle through its own built-in tools.

3. Run the program with a necessary options, in this case, for raw data output via network for Basestation.exe, as you wrote it above. Use the required correction value --freq-correction XX for your dongle instance.

You can temporarily (only during testing to make sure that messages are received and decoded successfully) add the option: --verbose.

Best regards,
sergsero

[attachment deleted reduce file load]

Tschernui Woron

Thank you Sergsero! After all that, it was just the driver that was the issue. Seems that the last Windows update had knocked the driver out. All working just fine now!

Cheers

Tschernui Woron

Anmer

Quote from: Tschernui Woron on August 29, 2019, 06:28:49 PM
Seems that the last Windows update had knocked the driver out. All working just fine now!

I see reports of this on another forum.  Windows knows best.  >:(
Here to Help.

Tschernui Woron

Hi Anmer,

At least I know now to check the drivers and .dll files after any Windows updates in future!! New antenna giving me fantastic coverage by the way - got at least an 80 mile radiusagainst an original 25-35miles!