Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:50:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Got it already :) ADS-B receiver or TRADE FOR: Dittel FSG50 transceiver

Started by OH7HJ, January 26, 2012, 08:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH7HJ

Edit: I have a Beast ADS-B receiver now and it is sharing data to planefinder through planeplotter. So need one no more!

Hi,

Anyone know a moderate priced max 250 euros mode-S receiver second hand or new or kit ready for online connection? I am living on the east rim of the range of the flightradar25 and would like to reach it a bit farther.

I now use the flightradar24 site to check aircraft positions my Aircraft Scatter (AS) ham radio experiments to turn my receiving antennas to direction of the aircraft. It is a bit like meteor scatter (MS) except for listening to waves reflected from airplanes instead of from ionized trails of meteors. With some experience, each individual aircraft scatter trace can be identified by its doppler shift on the spectrogram screen.

A bare mode-S receiver would be fine for me if it can be switched to LAN/internet. Need no antennas or power supply or air band monitor etc. and I manage soldering work myself.

Edit:

TRADE FOR: Dittel FSG50 transceiver

Also willing to give my Dittel FSG50 aircraft transceiver in change for ethernet ready ADS-B rx. This aircraft transceiver has to my knowledge been used on ground only. It served as a fixed emergency duty comms until updated with new model. After that I have used it for monitoring air channels in my ham shack. Now needless for me because got a battery of scanners for air band.

The Dittel FSG50 transceiver comes with a slide-in instrument panel mounting rack with mounting dimensions abt 60 x 80 x 200 mm. Aerial connector is a BNC with coaxial pigtail extension. Although rather old model it has little signs of use. Its power consumption is low and it works a good time even with a small battery.

Measured transmitter output is abt 5 watts at 13 V. Frequency range is 118.000 - 134.975 MHz at 25 kHz steps. Front panel controls are freq set and LCD display, volume and off-on-squelch switch. Receiver sensitivity is as good as any of my scanners or ham rigs. Wiring diagram comes as a PDF document. Ready for use with connectors but microphone or aerial not included. Please ask for detail photos.

- Juha OH7HJ -

Finland
E-mail OH7HJ@hotmail.com

Link to a thread about my Aircraft Scatter VHF experiments with screenshots: http://oh7ab.fi/foorumi/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=295

A video about aircraft scatter bypass distinctive sound heard from radio receiver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANYf2kcTwME

A screenshot from my AS doppler tracking experiments attached as an example.

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

Anmer

Quote from: OH7HJ on January 26, 2012, 08:12:24 PM
Sorry the site would not accept attachmennts... but you will find screenshots from the link above.

What file types did you try to upload?
Here to Help.

Hamish McTorsk

Jup, I have a Radarbox + everything you need, I'm in Copenhagen, are you in Finland ??

Anmer

Quote from: Hamish McTorsk on January 27, 2012, 08:07:52 AM
Jup, I have a Radarbox + everything you need, I'm in Copenhagen, are you in Finland ??

I think he wants a receiver with an Ethernet port?  The RadarBox doesn't have that capability.
Here to Help.

OH7HJ

Hi Anmer and Hamish, thank you for comments!

Tried to upload 4 pcs 100 ... 200 kb jpeg's. The site told that I have too many of them. I hit 'delete attachment' and the page jammed. I did the message again and put 3 attachments and the site told again I have too many of them. I tried delete one again and the page jammed again.  :)

Yes Hamish, I live in Finland near EFJO. Is there a way to connect your radarbox to feed data into the web? Would some kind of gateway thru computer or somehow be practical?

I have found the flightradar24 a good online tracking display for my AirScat 'home radar' and would wish to extend the website range in this corner of world. I guess other spotters would not mind me sharing the spottings, either..?  ;) 

OH7HJ

Now it accepted 2 pics ok.  :)

These are AirScat pics of plane doppler traces. A passive radar in other words. Also called a bi-static or multi-static radar.

Hamish McTorsk

Attachment problem should now be fixed........

Yes, the Radarbox can send data to both PlaneFinder and FR24 it cannot however be used to feed PlanPlotter.

Anmer

Quote from: Hamish McTorsk on January 27, 2012, 01:44:44 PM
it cannot however be used to feed PlanPlotter.

The RadarBox will work with PlanePlotter.  But it can't deliver "raw" data for Mlat purposes.
Here to Help.

OH7HJ

A computer gateway style feeding for FR24 would be OK too. That way the box would be online about 12 hrs daily when I have my AirScat computer running. With real ethernet It would online 24 hrs but I guess this is not absolutely necessary for me. FR24 visitors might like it run constantly, however.

PlanPlotter, Mlat, FR24 are words I am not yet familiar with. Are they software related to using Radarbox and/or a gateway to online?

Please suggest a trade about your Radarbox, Hamish?

- Juha -

P.S. Photo upload working now fine! Posting a series of photos to test how many attachments accepted...

OH7HJ

Oops made a quote instead of edit...  :-[

Photo upload works fine now after I learned use it!

Filling the space with pics of old junk forgotten in hangars. 

Anmer

Quote from: OH7HJ on January 28, 2012, 02:11:57 PM
PlanPlotter, Mlat, FR24 are words I am not yet familiar with. Are they software related to using Radarbox and/or a gateway to online?

PlanePlotter - Software that plots aircraft from a suitable Mode-S receiver (radarBox is one) and has option to share data with other PlanePlotter users.  See our Links page.

Mlat - abbreviation for Multilateration.  Only PlaePlotter offers this today.

FR24
- FlightRadar24.com - web browser and mobile phone apps to track aircraft.  Fed by Mode-S receivers.  See our Home page and Aircraft Tracking Websites section.
Here to Help.

Hamish McTorsk

QuotePlease suggest a trade about your Radarbox, Hamish?

Next time you are in Copenhagen you can come by and pick it up......

Airnav Radarbox (Purchased FEB 2009) perfect working condition with original antenna + MD1105 5mt coax (Mobile) + BS1105 10mt coax (Base) + 6 inch BNC-SMA pigtail, original CD.

OH7HJ

Thank you for your kind advice to a newbie, Anmer!

Hamish, it is decades since my last visit to Copenhagen so I would like to visit again! However, no plans to travel in a few years so 'snail mail' would be preferable.

Aerials would be unnecassary for me because I am an experienced aerial builder. Could you consider selling the box and aerials separate?

How much? I can pay by Paypal or transfer to bank account.

- Juha -

Hamish McTorsk

Just make an offer but I would rather sell it with everything included.

The hardware is fine but AirNav's track record with the database is abysmal, so if the database is important for you I would not bother with AirNav's product, go for something else.

Notice my signature 'AirNav BungleBox' Says it all.