Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 06:29:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

FlightRadar24 Satellite Coverage

Started by Anmer, March 15, 2020, 11:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

I saw the following in the latest FR24 newlsetter:

Satellite-based ADS-B tracking now available to all Flightradar24 users
Satellite-based ADS-B data is now available on Flightradar24 and visible to all users, an industry first. Space-based coverage is indicated by blue icons on the web and in our app. We're thrilled to be offering satellite-based ADS-B coverage and we'll be adding even more coverage throughout the year.

Sure enough, there are blue icons.  But I have "Space-based ADS-B Live" turned off.  Turning it on makes no difference.

When selecting a blue iconed aircraft, the track appears to be the old, black dotted line estimation, using a great circle track from last known postion to the destination.  It doesn't appear to show an actual track, monitored by satellite.

So is FR24 resorting to AirNav tactics and "embellishing the truth"?
Here to Help.

corsa

Hi Mike

I was wondering what the blue aircraft denoted and when i clicked on one, I saw that under
the aircraft photo it states it was tracked by satellite. but as you say,  the track is just the
dotted line !!!

Tom

Anmer

I'm not convinced these blue icon aircraft are satellite tracked positions.

Take this example.  The black dotted lines appear to be perfect curves between the last terrestial ADS-B positions and destination.

If it is satellite tracked, why is it appearing when I have that option turned off?

[attachment deleted reduce file load]
Here to Help.