Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 02:55:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

2020 aircraft spotting (or NOT)

Started by IanH, March 22, 2020, 11:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanH

With the decreasing numbers of flights over the UK, my stats on FlightAware are also diminishing.  Getting to the point where watching flight activity is like watching paint dry. The numbers of shuttle flights and GA are temporarily keeping my numbers up but nothing of interest.

Time to do other things rather than hope for a new A350 or B787 to pass nearby.

I have some logs from the last year to process (such as Alaska and Far East). I cannot believe that we decided to go to so many places last year. Now everywhere is shut down. We could not have done any of our trips this year.

Christmas Day we set off from Birmingham to Thailand on a TUI B788. Booked just a month prior to departure. We had a 14 day cruise to Vietnam, Malaysia, and Singapore.  Around midday New Years Day we were passing Singapore - passed the departure flows, the final approach and later the arrivals. On the way back, after a day in Singapore, we did the final approach again. Without Singapore, the logs would have been thin - overflights up/down the Malaysian coast.

And hence a whole load of photos to catalogue from a year of travel - Cuba, Alaska, Pompeii, Far East.

Then on to a pile of slides negatives to scan from years before digital - remember that? A roll (or 2) of 36 Kodachrome per holiday instead of 100s of digital photos per camera.

Once the weather picks up need to get to all those jobs outside that didn't get done last year because of travelling. And the jobs that have been on hold for years! No excuses now even without the virus. I retire mid April. Actually already released having already handed over a month ago whatever I did - must have been important! Just pleased that I am not living through the impact of the virus on the work situation. More stress that is not needed.

Will visit here occasionally to see what is happening. Hope to see the familiar names. Many of us are in the higher risk category because of age - I hope to make it out the other side so best wishes to you all and hope that you do too.

Apologies if this seems like a downer but we need to recognise the reality.

Ian

Anmer

Thanks Ian.  I've been thinking about starting a new Board for members to post what they're doing to while away the time.  You beat me to it.

I have loads of "DIY" projects to keep me busy but I suspect Screwfix and the local builders merchants will soon close and I won't be able to get my hands on some materials.

Both my wife and I are over 70 and I have a soon-to-be 94 year old mother-in-law living with us.  I'm so pleased she moved in as I dread how she'd cope on her own in London in the current circumstances.  The Welsh Govt. says we shouldn't leave the house for 16 weeks but we need food.

Like you, local air traffic has dropped by approx 70%.  More bizjets than before and some GA light aircraft with ADS-B.   The Samaritan's Purse DC8 went directly overhead yesterday which was a nice "catch".

I too have thousands of photos I should digitalise, catalogue and share online with family and friends.  But not on Facebook!

Then there's the BaseStation.sqb "database" that could be tidied up, convering to single use data, such as "Virgin" instead of "Virgin Atlantic" or vice-versa.  As well as airctaft types.

I have a BaseStation Guide that I never published so I may get around to that.  And some spare "radar spotting" kit I may list for sale.

And when all that's done, there's always the garden  ::)

Be good to hear what others are doing to keep amused.
Here to Help.

Anmer

We are very fortunate in having members who create and share their logos and silhouettes.  But have you tried making your own?

Personally, I use an airline logo wherever possible, such as those shown below.  And for military, bizjets and GA types, a simple silhouette.  I often suggested to Kinetic it allowed both to display in the BaseStation aircraft list but it wasn't to be.  But VRS is an alternative option.

Since I prefer an airline/freight logo to coloured side views, I often make my own.  Not too difficult.  Silhouettes are much harder and that's where IanK comes into his own.  But I'm not sure he's active these days?  I've tried a couple of times and know how hard it can be which is why I appreciate what others can do and thank them for sharing.

If you've ever made your own 85x20 bmp files, feel free to share them here.

[attachment deleted reduce file load]
Here to Help.

hispeedbypass

Yes how times have changed, never conceived we would look up into the skies and see only whispy clouds.
And knowing any trails around are either repatriation flights,freight or welfare compassionate routings. Even Virgin used a B789 as a freight only flight earlier this week!
It does make you wonder what the other side of this will bring? How aviation will have evolved.
For the environmentalists the fact the air is cleaner (less ground based pollution too) will be a strong argument to maintain a lower  use of travel. But what I think is good through these dark days is we are all appreciating "real" values in life.
LHR will still be there, albeit in a different guise and the airlines that endure this turmoil will hopefully review their systems to better serve society.
The sad demise of loved airlines such as TCX and BEE irrespective of the cause only goes to show how fragile aviation has become.
While the world has just taken for granted moving goods and people across the globe without too many setbacks, what we now are witnessing is a world change in lifestyles, behaviour and functionality.
For me, the thrill of aviation is "in the blood" and my passion for it has never waned since the 60's. Like many of our members its now become a time for reflection. But we do have the fond memories of bygone days, the recent excitement of advanced designs,technology and such amazing roles such as this website and its moderators, designers and members to help us further enjoy our passion.
The future will be different, but just that... different not negative.Recall when Concorde breathed its last?
How upset we were to see an abrupt end to an era. The whys and hows left us reeling ...for a time. But we got through it and  memories of those halcyon days still burn bright and I'm sure all the photos,slides and videos we own can perpetuate those memorable times.
Maybe in a few years time some of our members will be able to reflect back on 2020 and note it as a watershed time for aviation hopefully spurring us on to exciting times ahead

Graham Bell

Due to the lack of basic ingredients for our core hobby I have taken to car/people spotting. Using the comprehensive TFL,(Transport For London), webcam feed, https://www.tfljamcams.net/ , you can explore London safely though I have to admit that traffic on the ground is almost as sparse as that in the sky.
On a more serious note it does seem that population are at last behaving in a more responsible manner and recognizing that you disregard the dangers posed by a pandemic at your peril.
Regards-
G.B.

Triple7

Quote from: Graham Bell on March 29, 2020, 02:37:10 PM
On a more serious note it does seem that population are at last behaving in a more responsible manner and recognizing that you disregard the dangers posed by a pandemic at your peril.

Yes Graham, unless people are like these Imbeciles!

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-police-break-up-massive-karaoke-party-during-covid-19-lockdown-measures-11965352

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter

Ospreyv22

Hi All,

And this is circulating now, in the attach

[attachment deleted reduce file load]

Anmer

Fake news.  But I've voluntarily given it up since I got my free gallstones 4 weeks ago,
Here to Help.

Ospreyv22

You also Anmer,

Ive got mine in a jar from a few years back.

Anmer

Quote from: Ospreyv22 on March 30, 2020, 12:11:49 PM
Ive got mine in a jar from a few years back.

Unfortunately mine are still in my gallbladder and decided to remind me they were still there last night.

All further treatment was put on hold.
Here to Help.

Ospreyv22

My sympathies are with you as i know the discomfort and pain your going through,
Certain foods and especially alcohol used to trigger me off,

s92driver

Mine was fatty foods, which is very common as the primary function of bile is the breaking down of fats.

The associated pain is not very nice.

Ospreyv22

Funny you should say that s92Driver, i had a thing for cheese, it was cheese on everything.

Anmer

Quote from: s92driver on March 30, 2020, 03:00:00 PM
Mine was fatty foods, which is very common as the primary function of bile is the breaking down of fats.

I don't think my wife's Yorkshire Pudding was a good idea.
Here to Help.

s92driver

Quote from: Ospreyv22 on March 30, 2020, 08:33:14 PM
Funny you should say that s92Driver, i had a thing for cheese, it was cheese on everything.

Quote from: Anmer on March 31, 2020, 09:46:10 AM
I don't think my wife's Yorkshire Pudding was a good idea.

Cheese and Yorkshire Pudding.  The perfect meal  8)