Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 10:41:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Hex AE6790 Callsign/Reg???

Started by rikgale, August 07, 2020, 09:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikgale

Hi All

Got this HEX over Cornwall today AE6790. I think that it is a USN P-8A, but it anyone able to enlighten me as to the registration? I've had a good hunt about but I am unable to tie up with a reg.

Many thanks
Richard

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

Artilect

From my understating the U.S. Navy P8 employ "Tactical Hex" which makes them somewhat anonymous.

rikgale

That would explain why all the places I did find the HEX listed the reg as 'Various'
What are they trying to hide??? ;)
Thanks for the info
Richard

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

VRZ

Older topic I know, however I have something of interest to add that is relevant.

As mentioned the USN are using a pool of available Hex Codes for their P-8 aircraft. If you see a P-8 using an ICAO of AE6## then the only way you'll be able to distinguish it's serial will usually be by visual / spotting means.

Nearly all USN P-8's have a correct / genuine ICAO Code in the AE4### and AE5### range. I'm finding that when a site displays a P-8 with a serial then at that time it's not masking by use of a Tactical Hex and is using its genuine assigned one.

KCRQ-11

My log shows AE6790 as BuNo 169561. This number is also seen as AE5F4A. I got the 169561 from April 8th, 2023 when this aircraft was off the coast of Southern California down from NAS Whidbey Island.This number was given to KC-135 tanker prior to being refueled. We have several non military owned tankers that operate out of March AFB and they ask for theses numbers for their logs for billing reasons I would think.

Anmer

Quote from: KCRQ-11 on August 07, 2023, 02:00:35 AMWe have several non military owned tankers that operate out of March AFB and they ask for theses numbers for their logs for billing reasons I would think.

Now that it interesting too.
Here to Help.

VRZ

Quote from: KCRQ-11 on August 07, 2023, 02:00:35 AMMy log shows AE6790 as BuNo 169561. This number is also seen as AE5F4A. I got the 169561 from April 8th, 2023 when this aircraft was off the coast of Southern California down from NAS Whidbey Island.This number was given to KC-135 tanker prior to being refueled. We have several non military owned tankers that operate out of March AFB and they ask for theses numbers for their logs for billing reasons I would think.

Have you ever noted the same Tactical Hex in use by another asset at a later stage?

A couple of us have been trying to see if there is a pattern to the Tactical ICAO Hex but haven't located one, if it indeed exists.

They also tend to use their legitimate ICAO Hex on SATCOM voice call logs too.
It's one way I've been able to actually identify just what aircraft is active in an area.

KCRQ-11

From what I have been told the tactical codes can and do change on a daily basis. In some cases the code can change more than once during the same flight if needed. Land under one code then depart using another code. With the military removing most external ID numbers and in some cases squadron markings it will make a positive ID almost impossible these days when it comes to the true identity of a certain plane.

KCRQ-11

Quote from: Anmer on August 07, 2023, 08:03:10 AM
Quote from: KCRQ-11 on August 07, 2023, 02:00:35 AMWe have several non military owned tankers that operate out of March AFB and they ask for theses numbers for their logs for billing reasons I would think.

Now that it interesting too.

These are the two that currently fly out of March AFB. Omega Air Refueling and Metrea.

KCRQ-11

I posted my P8-A codes from my logs under screenshots. Maybe be helpful for those who follow the P-8A.

DaveReid

Quote from: KCRQ-11 on August 07, 2023, 10:30:54 PMWith the military removing most external ID numbers

That sounds like an interesting, albeit surprising, development.  Have you any photos of examples ?

KCRQ-11

https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/budget-policy-operations/usaf-mobility-aircraft-operating-without-most-markings-tail

This link should tell part of the story. Many others can be found online. The below photo is what the C-130J will start looking like. U.S. Navy has also started this soon the Marines will.

DaveReid

Interesting, I hadn't been aware of that.

This article suggests that (so far, at least) only transports and tankers are affected:  Air Mobility Command Removes Tail Numbers and Unit Info from Planes, Alarming Watchdogs

KCRQ-11

VRZ

Quote from: KCRQ-11 on August 07, 2023, 10:30:54 PMFrom what I have been told the tactical codes can and do change on a daily basis. In some cases the code can change more than once during the same flight if needed. Land under one code then depart using another code. With the military removing most external ID numbers and in some cases squadron markings it will make a positive ID almost impossible these days when it comes to the true identity of a certain plane.

Thanks. What you've noted pretty much matches matches with some local Australian observations of US P-8 Ops.