Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 01:11:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

USB Stick Mode-S Receiver

Started by Anmer, February 05, 2012, 02:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

Thanks to member Jodel for pointing out this new Mode-S receiver.

USB stick sized and works with PlanePlotter and ADS-B Scope.

Transair are selling this for GBP £159 and it comes with an antenna.

More info here:

http://www.gns-gmbh.com/index.php?id=219&L=1

http://youtu.be/FXF2IeKi_-8

http://youtu.be/E6_pws75zec

Here to Help.

viking9

May I add my thanks to Jodel for this interesting demo.

Tom
Tom

Hamish McTorsk

kendl

Looks ideal for using out and about. Unfortunately my lappy hasn't a pentuim 4 :(

Anmer

Quote from: kendl on February 17, 2012, 02:08:10 PM
Unfortunately my lappy hasn't a pentuim 4 :(

Is that a minimum spec for this receiver?
Here to Help.

kendl

According to the transair site
System requirements: Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows7, USB 2.0 Port, Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, VGA Graphics card.
Does seem a bit ott.

Anmer

I don't think Transair has got that right.

This is what the GNS-GMBH says:

usable on Notebook, PC or tablet PC

It's only a receiver and if your PC can run PlanePlotter or ADS-B Scope it should work fine.
Here to Help.

kendl

Yes I read that. I am beginning to wonder if Transair are erring on the side of caution for some reason.

Bethsalem

I'm open to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable than me, but isn't the gubbins of this receiver Miro's microADSB usb stick?

At more than double the price does it offer any advantages over the microADSB?

kendl

How does the microADSB usb stick compare to the Radar Box?

Anmer

Quote from: Bethsalem on February 17, 2012, 07:28:39 PM
At more than double the price does it offer any advantages over the microADSB?

Add margin and distribution costs and a price soon doubles.
Here to Help.

viking9

The company name 'Global Navigation Systems' has stirred some memories for me. When 32 Sqn RAF at Northolt got the new BAe HS125 700 series they were fitted with a navigation system called GNS made by Global Navigation Systems, a US based company. The system worked on reception of 25Khz carrier wave, typically used for base to submarine working. It had a sun seeking antenna and a rubidium atomic clock. When we got the first one we were amazed to find that inside the hangar, with steel doors shut, we could pick up a fairly strong signal from a submarine communications station in Australia.
Tom

Bethsalem

Quote from: kendl on February 18, 2012, 07:44:20 AM
How does the microADSB usb stick compare to the Radar Box?
I only use the indoor antennas provided with both the RadarBox and the microADSB and I would say that the microADSB stick picks up about half the contacts of the Radarbox.

However, I subscribe to PlanePlotter's network which then levels the playing field as I have other sharers to the north and south of me who fill in any holes I have, as I'm really only interested in local traffic.

For the money it costs, I think the microADSB stick is a pretty good deal if combined with the PlanePlotter network, and Miro is an excellent guy to deal with.

Stephen

kendl

Thanks for the info Stephen. As my SBS is set up in the attic I am really looking for something to take when on holiday so range isn't too much of a priority.

Bethsalem

Then the microADSB would certainly be a good choice if you just want an inexpensive, small form, mobile receiver.

It does suffer from the "doughnut effect" a bit though, in that aircraft at closer range can disappear then reappear, but the latest version of the firmware (version 9) makes an attempt at solving this.

Stephen