Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 09:52:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

ADU & Operator Logos

Started by Anmer, March 09, 2021, 01:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

I'm sharing this experience in case you are using "customised" logos and silhouettes alongside ADU.

First of all I don't use ADU.  But I've been trying to help a member with an ongoing issue he can't resolve, despite input from ADU.

I've since contacted ADU for advice.

Perhaps we have other ADU customers who can shed some light on this issue as I'll admit to not understanding why it appears to work as expected but not always?

The ADU member was downloading logos and updating his Basestation.sqb file with the relevant OperatorFlag code to match the downloaded logo.

Only to find ADU was overwriting these edits and inserting the "official ICAO code".  For example, if he applied one of Mustang51's logos, 4SQN_HawkT2# to a Hawk, the next ADU update would replace the manually edited OperatorFlag data with RRR.

However, ADU has an option "Do not overwrite operator logos" which was checked, assuming it meant what it said.

Unfortunately this made no difference and the edits were still being overwritten.

Today I remote connected to the member and ran some tests.

First, I deleted the registration and OperatorFlag for a currently received United Airlines aircraft.  The  "Do not overwrite operator logos" was checked.

Then I ran an ADU Update which reinserted the registration but left the OperatorFlag code empty.  As expected.

Then an RAF Hawk came up, showing a default RAF logo and the OperatorFlag code "RRR".  This was changed to 4SQN_HawkT2#.  On running ADU Update the OperatorFlag code was changed back ro RRR.

Next i found a currently active A332, hex code 3C70AA, registration D-ALEJ.  It had an OperatorFlag code of BCS which I changed to 4SQN_HawkT2#.  I then ran ADU Update and the OperatorFlag code wasn't changed and remained as 4SQN_HawkT2#.  Hmmm?

So I contacted ADU as follows, hoping to get some advice to help our member.

My name is Mike and I run the Radarspotting.com forum.  Today I've been helping one of our members, REDACTED, who I think you know.

I did a remote connection to REDACTED's PC as he was seeing ADU overwrite his OperatorFlag codes even though he had the option "Do not overwrite operator logos" checked.

I ran a test, first on some civilian aircraft and ADU correctly updated the aircraft record but ignored the OperatorFlag code field.

Then I ran the same test on some RAF Hawks and ADU overwrote the manually edited OperatorFlag code data.  The option to not overwrite operator logos was still checked.

Is this how ADU is designed to work?  If so, how and why is it differentiating between civilian and military aircraft?

It's been driving REDACTED mad and I can understand why.  So much that he's now had to turn off ADU.  Can you help resolve this if it's a design issue?

Thanks.

Hi Mike

It is not a design flaw, it is designed to use official ICAO codes not made up logos. However.

Regardless as to whether the do not overwrite is checked, if these operator logos are not added to the add logo section then the official ICAO code will be forced in.

So whatever logos he makes up need to be added in the add logo section in the utility. When these are added and the do not overwrite is ticked then it will ignore the official ICAO code.

If the RAF is in the add logo section them it needs to be renamed to RAF1 and whatever is changed you need to press update so the changes take effect.

We have advised REDACTED of all this.

Thanks for the quick and helpful response.

REDACTED has learning difficulty and doesn't always grasp things as quickly as others.

Just to check my understanding, irrespective of checking the "do not overwrite" option, ADU will still update the OperatorFlag data if the manually added logo hasn't been added to the Add Logo option?  Sorry, I don't have ADU so am working off a screen capture.

When I was connected to REDACTED's PC, I did look at that option and nothing was listed.  During my test, I removed the registration and UAL flag data from a United Airlines aircraft.  I then ran ADU Update and the registration was updated but not the OperatorFlag code.

I also changed the logo for another aircraft, hex code 3C70AA, using one that REDACTED was applying to Hawks,  Again the ADU update didn't change the OperatorFlag data.  But when I used the same OperatorFlag for some Hawks it did.

Any idea why?

Hi Mike

I think the best thing is to tell REDACTED to contact me directly but I need the name of the logo which he wants to represent the Hawks and I will remote access to his machine and set it all up.

Any idea why the same logo gets overwritten when applied to a Hawk but not to a civilian aircraft?

To be honest Mike its not worth explaining in a long email as you don't use ADU so won't understand how things work.

Can anyone explain how to prevent ADU overwriting all manually edited OperatorFlag codes?  My testing delivered inconsistent results and ADU's customer support wasn't able to explain why.

I should add that ADU has repeatedly "setup" his install but the problem recurs.

ADU looks a useful utility but, as things stand, our member won't be rewing his subscription.

Any thoughts will be most welcome.

Here to Help.

Faramir

ADUSBS is in use here (now in it's 3rd version). I don't experience the behaviour you describe but ADU and ADUSBS is very stringent to the location of the Basestation program (no virtual store!) and it needs to be run as an administrator! I assume this is checked...
The "Do not overwrite operator logo's" is checked, and entries that do not have an official ICAO code are left blank, and already populated aircraft are not changed.

Hope this helps...

Anmer

Thanks John.

ADU was mapped to the correct sqb and updating it.  That was the problem, the updating was inconsistent but ADU wasn't interested in my feedback.

Could you run a test please?

Please add the attached logo to your OperatorFlags folder and change the OperatorFlag to match it for a UK military and any civilian aircraft.  Then run ADU Update.  Does ADU replace the military record with RRR?

ADU replied that checking the Do not overwrite operator logos option won't work unless the logo that's to be kept is added to the Add Logo section.  In my test it wasn't added but ADU didn't overwrite the logo when I applied it to a civilian aircraft.

As our member kept telling me, ADU was overwriting his miltary records but not civilian.

And ADU was adamant that checking the Do not overwrite operator logos would be ignored if the logo to be retained wasn't in the Add Logo list!

[attachment deleted reduce file load]
Here to Help.

How 225

I have been running ADU SBS Utility successfully for almost a year whilst using my own Operator logos. In my setup, as well as having the "Do not overwrite operator logos" box ticked, I have removed all entries from the Operator and Logos table that is shown when you go to the Add Logos menu (i.e. the table is entirely empty of entries).  If you leave in the standard ICAO SBSNames that seem to be provided with the baseline ADU software, then these will overwrite the logos you enter yourself.  Hope this makes sense.

How 225

Anmer

Thanks.  When I looked those tables were empty.

What baffles me is why does the same logo get overwritten when applied to one aircraft (the Hawk) but not another (the A332)?

I was hoping ADU could throw some light on it but as can be seen from the email exchange, there was little interest.

One last question, is there such a thing as an ADU User Manual?
Here to Help.

Faramir

Quote from: Anmer on March 09, 2021, 05:19:24 PM
Please add the attached logo to your OperatorFlags folder
Done...

ADUSBS has Do not overwrite operator logo's checked.
Civilian aircraft from my Aircraft List  modified for the logo (shows 4SQN_HawkT2#).
Let ADUSBS run an update cycle, Operator flag unchanged (shows 4SQN_HawkT2#).

Military aircraft from my Aircraft List modified (NAF H47) for the logo (shows 4SQN_HawkT2#).
Ran ADUSBS update, Operator flag was reset to NAF
Tried again but with a modified Countries.dat so that it won't show 'Netherlands Mil', but still the Operator logo was reset to NAF.

Quote from: Anmer on March 09, 2021, 05:19:24 PM
As our member kept telling me, ADU was overwriting his miltary records but not civilian.
Based on this test I can confirm this.

rikgale

Just as an idea. What about dropping the # from the file name as another test? I can't see it making a huge difference but it may be classing the # as a special character in some way.

Not and ADUSBS user, but I have been watching this thread out of interest to see if there is a conclusion.

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

Faramir

Quote from: Anmer on March 09, 2021, 07:50:17 PM
One last question, is there such a thing as an ADU User Manual?

No, there are some video's but not a reference document.

Anmer

Quote from: rikgale on March 09, 2021, 09:42:19 PM
Just as an idea. What about dropping the # from the file name as another test? I can't see it making a huge difference but it may be classing the # as a special character in some way.

That crossed my mind too.  But when I tested this remotely, the logo's name was changed and didn't include the hash character.
Here to Help.

How 225

I had this problem when I first used ADU Software's SBS Utility.  If I recall correctly, the entries in the Operator and Logos table (under Add Logos in the ADU SBS Utility menu) would overwrite the Operator logos that I had manually entered.  For example, if the Operator was "Royal Air Force", the default ICAO_SBS Name for this was RRR, so any aircraft where the Operator was Royal Air Force would have its Operator Logo overwritten with RRR. A similar thing occurred for "United States Air Force" where the default operator code was RCH.  It didn't cause a problem for most of the civil operator flags as I don't believe there were many default entries in the Operator and Logo table.  Are you sure that the Operator and Logo table in the ADU Software Utility is blank?  Mine looks like the attached.
There is no manual, only a very brief help menu in the SBS Utility itself.  The entry for Add Logos reads as follows:
"Add Logos - Gives you the facility where you can type in a company name. As an example Oxford Aviation Academy uses a logo 3 letter code of OXF so when this is added and you run the update cycle, this will remain in your SQB file and not be overwritten."

[attachment deleted reduce file load]
How 225

Anmer

Quote from: Faramir on March 09, 2021, 09:29:48 PM
Based on this test I can confirm this.

Thank you John for making the test.  This replicates what I experienced.
Here to Help.

Anmer

Quote from: How 225 on March 09, 2021, 10:51:51 PM
Are you sure that the Operator and Logo table in the ADU Software Utility is blank?  Mine looks like the attached.

Is yours blank?

Putting that aside for the moment there are two "usability" issues:

1. Checking the Do not overwrite operator logos option doesn't appear to do what it claims.
2. If a logo has to be added to a table to prevent it being overwritten, why wasn't one missing from the table not overwritten when applied to a civilian aircraft?
3. With the vast choice of alternative logos, having to add each one to an ADU table isn't an efficient process.  More so when there's an option to not overwrite them.  To me that option is flawed.

Clearly, ADU is handling the logo update in an inconsistent manner and customers should be aware.  It's also causing confusion, as experienced by our member and will impact on ADU's sales.

I tried to engage with ADU to explore this issue, on behalf of its customer,  but was told, in no uncertain terms, to go away.

I for one won't be buying its products.
Here to Help.

How 225

My Operator and Logos table is blank as per the attachment in my post.  I do not need to add any logos into the ADU table at all - I simply enter the Operator flag of my choice into the Basestation aircraft details box or into Basestation Reporter and that's it - I never see any overwriting of my Operator logos.  I would be interested to know if Faramir's ADU SBS Utility Operator and Logos table has any entries in it as given the fact that his operator flag was reset to NAF, I would expect that to be in the ADU table as a default ICAO setting under Royal Netherlands Air Force.
How 225

Anmer

Thanks.

Interesting that your logos are not being overwritten even without anything in the table, which is not what ADU told me should happen.

But for Faramir and our member, the same logo was being overwritten when applied to a military aircraft but not a civilian one.  Very strange.

Unfortunately, without ADU's cooperation, we'll not get to the bottom of this perplexing issue.
Here to Help.

How 225

I have been in contact with Steve Bruce at ADU Software and he provided me the following update to post on the forum:

Firstly the ADU SBS utility is designed to populate official ICAO codes and not made up logos. However for those who do wish to use the made up logos there is procedure that needs to be followed.

The reason this happens with Military as apposed to Civilian is because the vast majority of Military aircraft do not have official ICAO Codes. RCH United States Airforce is not an official ICAO code, it is just a call sign.

Using the Thread from Faramir about the Netherlands Airforce, official name Royal Netherlands Airforce is in the ADU SBS utility section 'Add logos' as code NAF so once Faramir goes into Add logos and scrolls down to Royal Netherlands Airforce so farimar needs to rename Royal Netherlands Airforce1 go to the top and press update and then any made up logo then put in will not be overwritten. This is the same for the Royal Airforce, United States Airforce etc etc

So the onus here is the renaming of what is in there so that it does not get overwritten.

With reference to the user that Mike contacted me about yesterday, for some reason Mike had removed the vast majority of the add logo references and left a load of blank values in there. I have repopulated the data this morning so the add logo table now exists, I have remote accessed to the users machine and picked up an Royal Air Force C-17, I went into add logos and renamed it to Royal Air Force1, prompted the user to type in what logo he wanted to represent this aircraft which he di, ran the update process and the logo was not overwritten and retained the users logo for the C-17

I have noticed How225 refers to a blank values in the add logo section, this would indicate to me that either he is not on the latest version of the SBS utility or a file has been missed during installation.

I was not insulting Mike's intelligence at any time by not continuing with the email thread but it was far quicker and easier for me to deal directly with the ADU user.

How 225