Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 09:15:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Windows 10 Driver Issues

Started by HL7222, March 29, 2021, 10:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HL7222

Hi,

I obtained a new Surface Pro 7 yesterday, it runs Windows 10 Home.

I have attempted to install my trusty SBS 1090 Puck and run into issues. I have other Win 10 computers running the Puck and Basestation so not sure what the issue is.

I am 99percent sure its a driver issue on the new laptop. When I first attached the Puck the Surface 'found' it and installed a driver..... but I dont think its the right one!

Basestation installed no worries, but the puck is only showing one red light and when I launch Basestation it tells me that it isnt receiving data.

HELP!

Anmer

Welcome.

Does the 1090 Puck have "blue" lights to show the signal strength?  If it does and none of these are lit, maybe you have an antenna issue?

At the bottom of the BaseStation screen, does it show "Connected to"?

Also check Windows Device Manager and let us know what you see under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Here to Help.

HL7222

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out...

Flickering between two and three blue lights...

Nothing showing in the connected to box (and I get a big error detected box keep popping up over the top of Basestation).

I have several things under USB controllers in DM. Most of them OK, but two with yellow warning triangles. Namely, USB Serial Converter A and Converter B

Anmer

Quote from: HL7222 on March 29, 2021, 11:29:57 AM
Most of them OK, but two with yellow warning triangles. Namely, USB Serial Converter A and Converter B

Those are the ones you need to work for the Puck!

In your Basestation folder you should have a file:

CDM20814_Setup

Find it using Windows Explorer and then double mouse click it to run.

It should install the required USB drivers,
Here to Help.

HL7222

Hi,

OK... double clicked it. A black DOS screen pops up and it seems to instal something.

Unfortunately the Puck still has just one red light, and DM still shows errors on those two USB controllers.

Anmer

Thanks for the feedback.

Try uninstalling the two offernding USB drivers and then repeat the install process.
Here to Help.

HL7222

Hi

Deleted them off in DM, then reinstalled.... Puck still on one red light.

DM has no mention of either Controller.

Restarted machine and hey presto Controller A and B pop back up, complete with warning triangles.

Anmer

I've never installed a Puck but assume the drivers are no different to the SBS.

I suspect Windows prefers it's own drivers which is the problem.  But running CDM20814_Setup usually fixes the issue.

Another thing to try is uninstalling the drivers again and also BaseStation via Programs.

Then reinstall Basestation, preferably the latest release, 184.  You can download the CD file:

https://www.kinetic.co.uk/basestationdownloads1.php

Here to Help.

HL7222

Hi

OK, done that.... same situation basically.

When I reinstalled BS I watched it launch a DOS screen and basically attempt to install the driver, but same thing. Looking in DM without a restart no controllers at all - and an attempt to launch Basestation says no data. If I restart the computer it then has Controllers with errors and still no data on launch of BS.

Starting to fear the worst here...

HL7222

Now wondering about getting a dongle instead! (I only really use the Puck when traveling and it is a bit on the large size anyway)

Anmer

Quote from: HL7222 on March 29, 2021, 01:52:48 PM
Starting to fear the worst here...

If this weren't something that can't be solved we'd be swamped with similar messages.  ;)

Do you have Windows Admin rights when you do the install?

See:

https://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php?topic=12865.msg52968#msg52968
Here to Help.

HL7222

Hi,

Uninstalled in DM, then reinstalled with the right click method.... same result.

Anmer

Sorry this is proving difficult to resolve.

Try unplugging the Puck.

Then uninstall the drivers.  Reboot the PC.  Have they disappeared?

Then try the install CDM20814_Setup again.  Reboot the PC.  What do you see in Device Manager now?

This may help:

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/03/stop-windows-from-installing-drivers-for-specific-devices/
Here to Help.

HL7222

Hi

Not your fault!

As soon as I unplug the puck the two USB Controllers with the errors disappear from DM

Anmer

Are you signed into Windows with Admin rights?
Here to Help.