Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 09:14:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

G7 - Twitter Bot - follow the action in the skies.

Started by rikgale, June 01, 2021, 01:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikgale

Hello All

For those interested in aircraft attending the G7 summit, happening in Cornwall this month. I have set up a twitter bot to tweet aircraft comings and goings from Newquay (EGHQ) where most, if not all, air activity will be staging in and out of.

To follow follow the action:

- if you already have a twitter account then follow @overTresillian

- if you do not have a twitter account then you can go to twitter.com/overTresillian

The twitter bot is based on the Planefence software by kx1t and operates on a fence principle. The fence is set at a 10nm radius centered on EGHQ and is 20000ft high. Any aircraft which flies through the fence and comes with 10nm of EGHQ under 20000ft will alert. As long as the mode-s transponder is on and a position is generated (including MLAT) the twitter bot should send a tweet soon* after crossing the fence.

Each tweet should contain a screen shot from, and a link to a free, popular, unfiltered ADSB tracking website to view the a/c in more detail. Example below of the Japanese Self Defence Force B777-300ER 80-1111 which came in this morning.

Each a/c currently only generates 1 tweet per day so if the a/c leaves the fence and returns  later it will not be tweeted again (this may change).

Happy radar spotting.

Richard :)

*this make take up-to 5 mins at busy times as the software and raspberry pi on which this runs can only process 1 tweet at a time.

[attachment deleted reduce file load]

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

Sportsbadger

Nice work Richard, I'll be following your account with interest over the coming days and weeks.

ramonk

rikgale

I'm going to start filtering out the local general aviation over the next few days to reduce the number of tweets generated. Although over the time period of the G7 a lot of the airspace is getting closed down to all but G7 and scheduled arrivals/departures.

Undecided as to whether to fitler out local Air Ambulance / Coastguard helos?? - thoughts welcome

Graham Bell

I would suggest bearing in mind the location the two services mentioned could be considered of priority interest and as such personally I would prefer a `no filter` status. Many thanks for your input.
Regards-
G.B.

rikgale

Hi Graham

Thanks for your feedback. I will leave as it.... completely un-filtered.

If I get a number of people commenting about the number of general aviation I may reconsider (or just shrink my fence slightly)

Currently a pi-feeder down so my low level coverage over EGQH is slightly degraded today. Should be back up tomorrow when I can get physical access to it.

R :)

rikgale

Thank you Mike for having my bots twitter feed up over the G7.

Apologies to all for the lack of screenshots -  another service on the same sever decided to go belly up over the weekend and hog system resources while lying on its back which did not leave enough left to generate the screenshots. At least the links worked for those that were interested.

Again, thank you Mike

R :)

Anmer

Quote from: rikgale on June 14, 2021, 09:16:16 AM
Thank you Mike for having my bots twitter feed up over the G7.

Pleased to do so.  My coverage of Newquay is quite good, considering I'm 100 miles to the north.  But I was constantly checking your Twitter feed to see what I'd missed.  Thanks for sharing this with the community.
Here to Help.