Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 03:02:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Third Party Hardware for use with BaseStation

Started by DJS248, November 23, 2021, 08:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJS248

Had an SBS-1 since 2006, never really fiddled much got BaseStation how I want it, happy. Got an SBS-1ER in 2011, very happy, unfortunately that got fried in 2019 so back to my old SBS-1. Today it stopped working, indications said it was working, lights good, "Connected to SBS-1" displayed across the bottom bar, but no aircraft on screen, tried lots of stuff, reboot program, restart computer, no joy. Switched it off for a couple of hours while I looked through my box of cables/antennas for some fault diagnosis, switched it back on; all working again. Anyway, put me into panic mode, a couple of years ago I bought a Flight Radar Pro Stick, which never turned up and a Radar Box Flight Stick which did turn up but I have never got to work. Can I get the Radar Box Flight Stick to display on BaseStation, if so how? If not what can I buy to display aircraft on my trusty old BaseStation display? Many thanks in advance.

Anmer

Welcome.

You should be able to run BaseStation with the Flight Stick.  You need to run ModeSMixer2 to "translate" the FlightStick data into BaseStation format.

Have a look at this YouTube video.  It explains what to do with easy to follow examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-btiAtNMa0E

I should add that the video doesn't highlight that you need another application to decode the message data from the Flight Stick.  Such as RTL1090 on the PC or Dump1090 on a RPi.

This may help:

https://sonicgoose.com/combining-and-rebroadcasting-ads-b-feeds-with-modesmixer2/

http://sonicgoose.com/basestation-and-rtl1090/
Here to Help.

DJS248

OK, thanks for that.  Not sure when I'll get chance to try that out.  My SBS-1 runs on a laptop in the shed and I connect to it on my desktop via Chrome Remote....and as it's all working again now. At least I've got the links for the future if I need it, although I have to be honest watching the Video made sense but the links to the text pages just made me feel like an old man....which, errrrmmm, I am.  Shame second hand SBS's seem so hard to come by, whatever happened to Kinetic Avionics?
Thanks for your help.
Dave

egnx

There is an SBS-1er on EBAY at the moment, buy it now for £144.

It might be handy to have on standby should your intermittent problem become more permanent ?

Cheers
egnx

Anmer

Quote from: DJS248 on November 24, 2021, 02:30:39 AM
whatever happened to Kinetic Avionics?

It kept trying to stop customers sharing data, claiming the "boys in blue" would come knocking.  Then, too late, it noticed FlightAware, FR24, Planefinder and even arch-enemy AirNav were making a ton of money from the very thing it kept denying.  And to cap it all, the RPi and DVB USB sticks arrived.

Eventually Goodman lost interest and Kinetic threw in the towel.  Well that's my take on it.
Here to Help.