Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 04:58:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Merge MLAT from pi to Basestation

Started by Pipo, February 24, 2022, 09:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pipo

Hello all,

Is it possible to configurate ModesMixer2 that it can feed MLAT data from pi, to ModesMixer2 and then to my Basestation on SBS-3 with USB. Faramir has made a image what i mean. Now when a mill plane or a Police heli is showing with 4 diamonds, but i would like to see it correct location. I know from Faramir that the USB maybe has a default port/ip but what this is we don't know.

I have sent Sergsero a PM but he is not be online here for a long time, so maybe one here can help.

Thanks
SBS-1e & SBS-3 Raspberry Pi 3 & Pi 4
Uniden UBC125XLT

Anmer

You first need to get the MLAT traffic from a server.

Are you sharing data with FlightAware?

If you are, I merge ADS-B and MLAT traffic from my RPi running PiAware.  And no need to input traffic from an SBS.

I have a BAT file as follows:

@echo off
CMD /c I:\MSM2\modesmixer2.exe --inConnect 192.168.1.111:30005 --inConnect 192.168.1.111:30105 --outServer sbs10001:10002
exit

The IP address of 192.168.1.111 is my RPi running PiAware.

Basestation is connected via Network to the IP address of the PC running the BAT file and port 10002.
Here to Help.

Pipo

Quote from: Anmer on February 24, 2022, 09:56:03 AM
You first need to get the MLAT traffic from a server.

Are you sharing data with FlightAware?

If you are, I merge ADS-B and MLAT traffic from my RPi running PiAware.  And no need to input traffic from an SBS.

I have a BAT file as follows:

@echo off
CMD /c I:\MSM2\modesmixer2.exe --inConnect 192.168.1.111:30005 --inConnect 192.168.1.111:30105 --outServer sbs10001:10002
exit

The IP address of 192.168.1.111 is my RPi running PiAware.

Basestation is connected via Network to the IP address of the PC running the BAT file and port 10002.

Rikgale has setup my pi sdcard, and he has open a port for MLAT info, im sharing to a lot of adsb website, so my idea was to feed the mlat data to my basestaton that way i can see where Mil planes are flying.
Uniden UBC125XLT

Anmer

Quote from: Pipo on February 24, 2022, 09:59:55 AM
Rikgale has setup my pi sdcard, and he has open a port for MLAT info, im sharing to a lot of adsb website, so my idea was to feed the mlat data to my basestaton that way i can see where Mil planes are flying.

Which can be done as long as we know where the MLAT traffic comes from.  MLAT positions have to be "plotted" from sufficient receivers, usually on a shared server.

Not knowing your setup we can't be more helpful.
Here to Help.

Pipo

Quote from: Anmer on February 24, 2022, 10:12:44 AM
Quote from: Pipo on February 24, 2022, 09:59:55 AM

Which can be done as long as we know where the MLAT traffic comes from.  MLAT positions have to be "plotted" from sufficient receivers, usually on a shared server.

Not knowing your setup we can't be more helpful.

I will ask Rikgale where MLAT traffic is coming from, but my SBS-3 is connected on USB y-cable (sbs-3) is it then still psossible to give BaseStation the MLAT info?
Uniden UBC125XLT

Anmer

Quote from: Pipo on February 24, 2022, 10:14:59 AM
I will ask Rikgale where MLAT traffic is coming from, but my SBS-3 is connected on USB y-cable (sbs-3) is it then still psossible to give BaseStation the MLAT info?

If the receiver connected to your RPi is receiving the same traffic as the SBS-3, you should not need the SBS.

Basestation has to get it's data from a single source.  So you'd have to edit the BAT file to also "receive" data from the SBS-3.

ModeSMixer 2 doesn't send any data to an SBS.
Here to Help.

Pipo

Quote from: Anmer on February 24, 2022, 10:19:27 AM
Quote from: Pipo on February 24, 2022, 10:14:59 AM

If the receiver connected to your RPi is receiving the same traffic as the SBS-3, you should not need the SBS.

Basestation has to get it's data from a single source.  So you'd have to edit the BAT file to also "receive" data from the SBS-3.

ModeSMixer 2 doesn't send any data to an SBS.

Well here i have to say that BaseStation is getting multi feeds by Faramir, he is connected his air-squitter to BaseStation and also getting data from my SBS-3 true the internet. So BaseStation is possible to get multi sources, i want to keep my sbs-3 connected due to ACARS on it, but would like to use modesmixer2 to feed the mlat data to it.
Uniden UBC125XLT

Anmer

Quote from: Pipo on February 24, 2022, 10:22:28 AM
Well here i have to say that BaseStation is getting multi feeds by Faramir, he is connected his air-squitter to BaseStation and also getting data from my SBS-3 true the internet. So BaseStation is possible to get multi sources, i want to keep my sbs-3 connected due to ACARS on it, but would like to use modesmixer2 to feed the mlat data to it.

None of this contradicts what I've posted.

But, I repeat, ModeSMixer2 doesn't "feed" data to an SBS-3 or any other receiver.

Until we know your local setup, we can't offer more advice.
Here to Help.

Faramir

Yes, Basestation can receive data from only one source. The question is whether ModeSMixer2 can connect to the SBS-3 via USB. On Linux, this is no problem as the USB connection uses the ttYUSBx port.
On Windows, the USB 'port' is not that straightforward.
The SBS-3's ACARS and radio options are only accessable via the USB connection so that's why Pipo's keen on connecting the SBS-3 via USB to ModeSMixer2.

rikgale

Hi Mike and Danny

The MLAT data that Danny is talking about is backfed from ADSBExchange and FlightAware. This MLAT data is merged into a single BEAST/AVR format using a network only instance of the readsb decoder on the RPi and output on port 30105 on the IP of the Raspberry Pi.

Mike is right, MM2 will not feed into an SBS-3. You need to merge all the feeds together (Pi Output, MLAT output and SBS-3 Output) before passing that to the Basestation software.

I have just logged into your Pi and (hopefully!) set up a modeSmixer2 to output all of your local data combined (including MLAT) on port 10001 on IP of PI. Point your Basestation software at that and see where you get :) (I have used the VRS re-broadcast feed that you send to me to do this - which I believe inlcudes the outputs from the Pi as well as the SBS-3)

R :)

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

rikgale

p.s. - If that does work then you are going to have to rely on VRS to merge all the signals together for you, so if your VRS goes down so will the 10001 feed from the pi

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

abcd567

SCRIPT TO AUTOMATICALLY INSTALL MODESMIXER2 ON RPI

https://github.com/abcd567a/mm2/blob/master/README.md

CONFIGURE MODESMIXER2
Mlat feed from flightaware at Port 30105, and from Adsbexchange at port 30157

pi@raspberrypi:~$ sudo nano /usr/share/mm2/mm2.conf

--inConnectId 127.0.0.1:30005:ADSB
--inConnectId 127.0.0.1:30105:MLAT
--inConnectId 127.0.0.1:30157:MLAT
--outServer sbs10001:10001
--location xx.xxxx:yy.yyyy
--web 8787

DISPLAY MLAT ON BASESTATION MAP
Open Settings → Data Settings → SBS-1. You will find none of the "Message Filtering" options are checked. Place a check mark besides "Process TIS-B Messeges" and the MLAT planes will appeare in BaseStation.

[attachment deleted reduce file load]