Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 05:14:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Dongle purchase-

Started by Graham Bell, April 01, 2022, 12:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Bell

I`ve a yearning to have a play with a dongle no specific areas or fields Any suggestions welcomed.
Regards-
G.B.

Anmer

Quote from: Graham Bell on April 01, 2022, 12:42:34 PM
I`ve a yearning to have a play with a dongle no specific areas or fields Any suggestions welcomed.

I dread to think what you have in mind  ::)
Here to Help.

Graham Bell

I couldn`t possibly comment on that!!
Regards-
G.B.

Anmer

Seriously, what do you want to do with it?
Here to Help.

rikgale

I can highly recommend the RTL-SDR Blog V.3 for an SDR dongle. Good cooling (metal case) and software enabled Bias-T for flexibility, should you need it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/rtl-sdr-blog direct from the manufacture of the RTL-SDR Blog V.3. I have personally brought 8x RTL-SDRs and 5 ADSB LNA and a couple of antenna sets from this seller. They are the real deal - there are enough fakers out there. The first one I purchased has been running 24/7 for the last 2 years without issue.

(NOT that they have any in stock right now (01/04/22) - having just checked... try again in a few days)

I have done ADSB, ACARS, VDLM2 and Airband with these.

There are other websites out there, for other kinds of dongles should you require them, so I am told ;)

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

Graham Bell

Thank you young sir, this seems to fit my parameters.
Mike- Nothing specific I came across a You Tube clip of someone using one and thought thats looks interesting!
Thank you both for your interest.
Regarda-
G.B.

Anmer

Quote from: Graham Bell on April 01, 2022, 04:46:30 PM
Mike- Nothing specific I came across a You Tube clip of someone using one and thought thats looks interesting!

You can listen to a radio frequency, watch TV or track aircraft.  And more imaginable things.

You may need some computing power to go with it.
Here to Help.

Graham Bell

Graham Bell

Any suggestions as to a UK based supplier of the RTL-SDR dongle,as suggested by Rikgale. The link he provided takes me to a Chinese outlet with a 2 month delivery. :-\
Many thanks.
Regards-
G.B.

Anmer

Quote from: Graham Bell on April 05, 2022, 03:29:55 PM
Any suggestions as to a UK based supplier of the RTL-SDR dongle,as suggested by Rikgale. The link he provided takes me to a Chinese outlet with a 2 month delivery. :-\

You may find it cheaper on AliExpress?

In my experience, most items arrive from China within two to three weeks.

Or get a FlightAware ProStick from Moonraker.  But since FlightAware was sold to Collins Aerospace, prices have gone "sky high".
Here to Help.

rikgale

They usually deliver in about 2 weeks. And are direct from the manufacture (in China) of the RTL-SDR blog v.3 - Anything else might not be the real deal (there are plenty of Chinese fakes out there - joys of a good product, ppl want to imitate). IMHO I would be uncomfortable buying from AliExpress... there are a few resellers in the UK, but you pay a mark up for the privilege

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

Graham Bell

Thank you gents- Points raised inwardly digested.
Regards-
G.B.

Anmer

Quote from: rikgale on April 05, 2022, 04:35:16 PM
IMHO I would be uncomfortable buying from AliExpress..

I've never had any problems with AliExpress and I've made quite a few purchases, usually a lot cheaper than the Chinese listings on ebay.

What problems have you experienced Rik?
Here to Help.

Triple7

Quote from: Anmer on April 05, 2022, 04:21:29 PM
But since FlightAware was sold to Collins Aerospace, prices have gone "sky high".

You are not kidding, I hadn't ralised that, I have used Pi Hut for these in the past:

https://thepihut.com/pages/search-results?q=flightaware

Tim
SBS-1eR, FA ProStick + 1090 filter