Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 02:38:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

ModeSDeco2

Started by Anmer, April 13, 2022, 12:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmer

I'm trying to help a member run ModeSDeco2 on Windows 10.  In doing so I am first setting it up on my local PC with a FlightAware ProStick and Zadig USB driver.

I have a simple BAT file:

@echo off
cmd /c I:\MSD2\modesdeco2.exe
PAUSE
exit

This appears to launch ModeSDeco2 and I get the attached CMD window.

But if I add anything else, such as "--device-list" the application stops working:

@echo off
cmd /c I:\MSD2\modesdeco2.exe --device-list
PAUSE
exit

In the ModeSDeco2 folder I have these files:

LICENCE.MIT
modesdeco2.exe
modesdeco2.txt
modesdeco2_airspy_example.bat
modesdeco2_example.bat
pthreadVCE2.dll

Am I missing any files?

Or can someone suggest any fix?

[attachment deleted reduce file load]
Here to Help.

QF1

A quick update on this post/thread.  It is actually a Windows 11 installation.

I think one of the problems is knowing which .dll files need to be installed as I am getting the following error message when running the batch file:

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)

The dll. files need to be 64 bit but as the error message does not have any further information, would someone be able to please advise which dll files need to be added and what directory they need to sit in?

Thanks in advance
Mark

abcd567

Following happened with me several years ago.  I dont know if it is still applicable.

My Run_Decoder.bat file was as given below:

@echo off
cmd /c modesdeco2.exe --gain 49.6 --freq-correction 62 --location 43.5xxx:-79.6xxx --web 8088 --db C:\Users\abcd\Downloads\BaseStation\BaseStation.sqb --beast 30005 --msg 30003 --sbs10001 10001
PAUSE
exit

I ran Run_Decoder.bat and I got a error message saying MSVCP140.dll and VCRUNTIME1400.dll was not found. I I fixed it by installing Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015

Download from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53840

Microsoft Download Center
Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 6

This update is the latest in a cumulative series of feature additions and bug fixes for Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable.

QF1

Thanks ABCD

I have now tried that but still coming across the same error message.   I am also wondering if it is a Win11 problem, although I know others have it working without a problem.

Cheers
Mark

Anmer

Quote from: abcd567 on April 14, 2022, 02:34:30 AM
I ran Run_Decoder.bat and I got a error message saying MSVCP140.dll and VCRUNTIME1400.dll was not found. I I fixed it by installing Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015

I don't get any error message other than "modesdeco2 has stopped working".

I too had come across a post elsewhere about Visual C++ and ran the latest vesrion but still no joy.

I now think my issue may be a lack of message data so will test again with an external antenna attached to my PC.

All my receivers are located away from my PC and connected to my local network.  For this test I'm using a Pro Srick directly connected to the PC.
Here to Help.

abcd567

You have all the 3 files needed. I searched and found the year 2017 folder. Please see screenshot of my folder. I tested it today on Windows 10, and it still works OK

Anmer

Quote from: abcd567 on April 14, 2022, 07:47:17 PM
You have all the 3 files needed. I searched and found the year 2017 folder. Please see screenshot of my folder. I tested it today on Windows 10, and it still works OK
Thanks.

My files are:

modesdeco2.exe 30/04/2018
pthreadVCE2.dll 02/09/2016

If I use your bat file (suitably amended for my directory) I still get the "modesdeco2.exe has stopped working" message.

The only time it doesn't stop working is when I run this bat:

@echo off
cmd /c I:\MSD2\modesdeco2.exe
PAUSE
exit

This lists all the Help text.

Maybe it's a receiver issue?

Does it run OK if you remove the receiver from a local USB port?
Here to Help.

abcd567

Simplify bat file to bare minimum.  Create a new bat file say "test.bat" and copy-paste code from below, and see if this simplified one works or not. If it works, then add additional parameters, one at a time and test at each addition.

@echo off
cmd /c modesdeco2.exe --web 8088 --beast 30005
PAUSE
exit

OR

@echo off
cmd /c modesdeco2.exe  ^
--web 8088  ^
--beast 30005 

PAUSE
exit

Anmer

Quote from: abcd567 on April 14, 2022, 11:06:15 PM
Simplify bat file to bare minimum

I've been trying that for days  :-[

The only time ModeSDeco2 doesn't stop is when I have the absolute bare minimum bat file, as posted before.

As soon as I add any parameters, it stops as soon as I launch it.

The Pro Stick is connected directly to the PC with the driver installed by Zadig.  I can run sdr_test.exe which recognises the Pro Stick.  But maybe ModeSDeco2 doesn't?

I've run out of ideas! 
Here to Help.

Oldfella

Been communicating with QF1 over the past week re ModesDeco2. While he and others are having all sorts of problems getting this program up and running, I have been fortunate not to have the same issues.

Background to my setup: 15 month old HP laptop with Win 11 and transferred the ModesDeco2 folder from the old laptop  to the new one and kept in a "Storage Folder". Due to travel after Easter and rather take my Pi ADS-B setup decided to fire up ModesDeco2. Moved the folder to C drive and after a few tweaks to the bat file and plugging in a FlightAware blue dongle, all working OK feeding both BaseStation and PlanePlotter.

Able to access the BaseStation data base, photos, flight routes but not the silhouettes for some unknown reason. Any ideas as to why would be appreciated.

Noel

Oldfella

Anmer

Thanks for sharing your setup.

Can you enable file extensions and post another screenshot of your ModeSDeco2 folder?

And one of your bat file?
Here to Help.

s92driver

At the risk of joining the conversation half way through and confusing things, I installed modeSdeco2 on a W11 device a few weeks ago.  It works as advertised on my device.

The only thing I had to do differently from previous installs (on earlier versions of Windows) was when running Zadig, in that I had to find and select an entry something like "RTL2832U" rather than "Interface 0".

Some details that may help are here, along with a video.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/zadig/

Steve

Anmer

Thanks Steve, all contributions are most welcome, whenever they arrive.

In Zadig I have:

WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385)

.. installed for device RTL2832U.

I think this is correct.

Can you run s quick test for me?

Disconnect the antenna from your USB stick and then run ModeSDeco2?

Does it run OK?
Here to Help.

s92driver

WinUSB driver is the same as on my install.

With no antenna, the program boots OK and Basestation connects as expected.  Note that I only have a Basestation data stream set up in ModeSDeco2.

Anmer

Thanks Steve.

I am assuming MoeSDeco2 doesn't recognise my stick even though sdr-test does!

More work needed!
Here to Help.