Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 07:11:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Hello Oh Mighty One (My Saviour)

Started by MaxRebo171, August 05, 2022, 09:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxRebo171

Hi all

After pulling my hair out for a few weeks trying to get the operator flags and side views working correctly ie came across this forum and scrapped my OP folder and Sill Folder and started a fresh with the Downloads from this site and I am so HAPPY well done guys and I will make a Donation after I get paid nest week.

GREAT WORK AND THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[attachment deleted reduce file load]

Anmer

Welcome.

We have at least one happy member  ;D
Here to Help.

tchawk

Hello, newbie to here as well as to the ADS-B world in general. I know this is an older topic, but hopefully this reply will bump it. I just got Virtual Radar up and running yesterday and am struggling the same as the OP to get the missing silhouettes and operator flags filled in. I have been picking through the gallery and downloading the individual .bmp's as I find them missing in my list and placing them in the same folder that the configurator is set up and pointing to that has the .bmp's that ARE populating. They just won't populate. I was wondering if there is a 'refresh' or something that I am missing to get the new ones to populate in my map list? OP is making me wonder if I should just try and set up a new folder and download a complete .zip file from here instead and re-direct to that new folder in the configurator instead of messing around with piece mealing with individual .bmp's. Any guidance or suggestions? Thanks.

Anmer

Welcome.

Are you also editing the local database to show a corresponding OperatorFlag code?

I assume you have VRS mapped to a Basestation.sqb file?
Here to Help.

tchawk

Thanks for the reply. I only have whatever came with the download of the program. I followed this video to install and get it up and running. https://youtu.be/oND7QvnLgw8

I just looked in the configurator under options where I have the paths set for the flags and silhouettes and the line for database does not have anything in it, is that what you are talking about? I will attach a screenshot of what I have. Perhaps that video wasn't complete enough and I am missing something then?

tchawk

??? Yeah...he didn't mention that at all. Thank you for pointing me to that! I will start working on it and see if I can get this thing working correctly.
Edit to add. I have that plug-in installed and configured using the default database filename. Will this begin to look up those missing silhouettes and flags/logos and update the database as time goes on, or is it up to me to still manually add those to that database like I was trying to do previously?

Anmer

You'll have to edit the database to add personalisation - reg, type, operator etc.  This includes the OperatorFlag code.

This may help with the latter:

https://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php?action=tportal;sa=download;dl=item43
Here to Help.

tchawk

Thank you for helping me out and pointing me in the right direction with this. I am new to all of this, ADS-B included, and it can get overwhelming at times with all of the aspects of getting everything to work that I am not used to.  I will look through that .pdf right now and seeing what I can learn.

rikgale

If once you have read what Anmer has suggested, you may want to skip some of the personalisation - 2 members have pre-populated databases which work with there respective contributions.

S92 drivers pre-populated DB - https://radarspotting.com/forum/index.php?action=tportal;sa=download;dl=cat52

Or mine - https://github.com/rikgale/VRSData/blob/main/BaseStation.zip (will require unzipping)

Both will work with our respective downloads available on the forum.

Or you can tread your own path, as many do. Either way is fun. Enjoy the hobby.

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

tchawk

Thank you for that information. I would rather do pre-populated if that will make things easier and keep the database more up to date and accurate. I am currently reading through the beginning of the .pdf and trying to figure out how to access base station reporter, or download it, but not having much luck. Does your .zip include that? The .pdf mentions the  SBS-1 box receiver (the SBS-1)  comes with the application software (Basestation), but I am not using a SBS-1 receiver and the provided link for barebones tutorial that is "essential reading" is not a valid and active link. Not sure if that had a way to get to the base station reporter program. I am also confused if 'base station reporter" and "base station" are actually the same thing or two distinct different programs.

Anmer

What receiver are you using?

The Basestation CD download is in the Software section and includes Reporter.
Here to Help.

tchawk

I do have open in another tab, Basestation_184 CD if that is the one you are referring to, but it makes no mention in the description of including base station reporter. That was part of my confusion as to if they are actually the same thing or not.

I am using a RTL-SDR Blog V3 with a Raspberry Pi 3B and a DIY spider antenna. So, no default provided software such as Base Station or Base Station Reporter. Will this whole process not work with my receiver? I would hate to be wasting ya'lls time if not.

Anmer

Quote from: tchawk on March 24, 2023, 04:08:51 PM
I do have open in another tab, Basestation_184 CD if that is the one you are referring to, but it makes no mention in the description of including base station reporter. That was part of my confusion as to if they are actually the same thing or not.

The CD file has both the Basestation and Reporter apps.  And a Reference Manual to cover both.

You can use ModeSMixer2 to present receiver data to Basestation.  I used to have an SBS-1 receiver but now have ModeSMixer2 acting as middleware between my RPi and Basestation running on a PC.

Or, and I'm away so can't test, just carry on with VRS mapped to a Basestation.sqb database.
Here to Help.

tchawk

Ok, I'll get that CD file downloaded and installed and see how well it plays with what I have going on here. I have the VRS on my Windows 10 desktop and just have it directed towards the IP address of my Pi and things seems to be working just fine as far as plane tracking etc, and it has a lot of silhouettes and logos populated, just has a lot still missing. The odd thing is I never installed the database writer plugin, so never had the database.sql going on. Actually the database section was blank in the configurator. I had just created a folder for each the silhouettes and the logos during initial install, downloaded a zip file from on this forum (don't recall which ones) to have the individual silhouettes and logos in them and then directed the configurator to those folders. I assumed that is where my list was populating from, so again, assumed that if I put more bitmaps in the folders with the others, it would add them into my list to fill in the blank spots I have. But it doesn't appear to be doing so.