Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 03:25:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Incorrect Aircraft Picture in VRS

Started by tchawk, April 10, 2023, 06:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tchawk

I have this aircraft leaving one of my nearest airports and it has the incorrect aircraft pic in the description. It's actually a Cessna Citation CJ4 but has a picture of a Hughes helicopter. Is this something that I can update? If so, how would I go about doing so?

Anmer

Where are you getting the photos from?

Hover over the image and check the link.  Is it airport-data.com?
Here to Help.

tchawk

I am not certain where the picture originated from. The aircraft is out of my range at about 900 miles out now, so can't check it in VRS to see.

Edit to add..I just went back through my browser history and found the page it was on when I clicked the image.  https://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000016145.html

Anmer

VRS looks for aircraft images on www.airport-data.com where N88MP is incorrectly shown as a Hughes 369D.

I can't see where in VRS you can disable these lookups?  Though one can submit a correction to airport-data.com:

https://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N88MP.html
Here to Help.

tchawk

QuoteVRS looks for aircraft images on www.airport-data.com where N88MP is incorrectly shown as a Hughes 369D.

Correct

QuoteI can't see where in VRS you can disable these lookups?

Same. It is set as a default in the program somewhere, I just couldn't find where either. Some aircraft will display a picture and below it will be links to www.airport-data.com : : www.airliners.net : : www.airframes.org as shown in the attachment that I am adding and others show pics with no links at all such as this one, while others just show neither.   ??? Not sure why the inconsistency and how it pulled the pic of the Huey.
I set up an account with airport-data and just waiting for the confirmation email in order to suggest a correction. Looking in their forums, it looks like wrong aircraft matched to a particular hex code is an ongoing issue.

tchawk

Here is an example of a selected aircraft and and pics that include links below the pics. The Huey one had no links interestingly.

Anmer

I'd noticed the links were there sometime but not always.

Why is a bit of a mystery.  But the mismatched image is due to airport-data.com's database being incorrect.
Here to Help.

Faramir

When I read this thread I searched in the VRS folder hierarchy to find something about the airport-data website.
I found some referrals to that site in multiple javascript files.
A method of disabling this I couldn't find so I think this site is like 'hard-coded' in the system via multiple .js files. Modifying those is far beyond my knowledge of javascript.

rikgale

There is a bit of all or nothing cure in the VRS github repo for VRS-Custom-Scripts

https://github.com/vradarserver/vrs-custom-scripts/tree/master/Remove%20Links%20and%20Menu

If you know what you are doing with the VRS custom content plugin then download the file and set it up in Custom Content Plugin. From the downloaded html file remove everything apart from the following and save:

<script type="text/javascript">
    if(VRS) {
        if(!VRS.globalOptions) {
            VRS.globalOptions = {};
        }
        VRS.globalOptions.detailPanelShowAircraftLinks = false;
        VRS.globalOptions.detailPanelShowSeparateRouteLink = false;
    }
</script>

All links will be gone, but so will some of the useful links - like DataBase Editor. All or nothing :)

Auto updated daily ZIP files on GitHub

tchawk

That's waaaay above my skill level and pay grade @rikgale.  ;D I'm still trying to learn everything else and occupied with asking lots of dumb questions in here. I think I will leave it be and just deal with the incorrect pics..lol. It would be nice to have an easy selection option to choose which image source is used though. And consistently placed links to each of the image sites would be a nice addition. It looks like in VRS configurator under Tools--> Options-->Data Sources there used to be a section at the bottom of the window labeled Aircraft Details Online Lookup to set up what appears to be just these options but the Data Provider and Web Site URL boxes have been removed. The tick box is still there for detail lookup though, so at least that option is still there.

I did set up an account with www.airport-data.com way earlier today, but I have never gotten an email from them to confirm my email address, so can't post the error with the Huey. Checked spam and it's not there either. Guess I'm waiting.