Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 06:02:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

What am I missing?

Started by Clubba, June 17, 2023, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clubba

Hi all,
I watch various VRS pages online and they all show plots for MiL aircraft (Mlat=no) yet my system does not   :-[
What do I need to see the plots on my VRS setup :-X

Windows 10
Using VRS 244 & V3pvw11
Dump1090 (see config below)
Flightaware Pro+
Triband colinear antenna VHF-978-1090

I have an RSP1A that I use for VHF monitoring, RTL-SDR is spare atm and so is a random unbranded Chinese model SDR
I have Access to L Band with SDR-Kits antennas and an RTL-SDR Patch antenna
I also have HF radios I can use (I'm a G7) with antennas ofc
Just purchased a new SSD for a DragonOS install

DUMP1090 Config

dump1090.exe  --interactive  --net  --net-beast --modeac --mlat --gain -10 --quiet
pause

Thanks in advance  ;)

Anmer

MLAT aircraft need to be "plotted" by a server processing data from other receivers that are picking up the same aircraft Mode-S messages.

MLAT won't show on a local feed in isolation.  You need to get MLAT data from other sources.
Here to Help.

Clubba

Hi Anmer, thanks for your response.
I did think opening a feeder box might be the resolve hence the additional LinuxOS so I can hopefully feed/receive that which I seem to be missing  :D
I was hoping to go RasPI but I refuse to pay the OTT prices asked atm.
I should have Linux running a 1090 sytem in a few days, once I've figured it out that is  ;D

mhm

If you only want military use freedar. its free to join and list the eu as well.

https://military.freedar.uk/VirtualRadar/mobile.html

Mike
Colon Cancer Survivor for the Time Being

Clubba

Hi mhm,
I want to use VRS local atm as I have fairly good coverage ( 240km 90% of directions & 320km+ in certain directions on clear days) and i have a second location thats sees 400km+ to the S,SE with a small magmount antenna. Although I do use various online VRs at times to check for anything different.

I see the Mil aircraft in my VRS list but I don't always see the plots, so I have little clue as to where they are.
Eg at the Kings Flypast I saw 8/9 Eufi's appear in my list but no idea where they were and watching Corwnall VRS at the same time I saw their flight in full including one that shot off to Shropshire, then it passed my location a short time later and the plots for his/her flight pattern in full including several loops were shown on the CornwallVRS map.
I have been wondering does Mlat actually show that much detail? or is their another mode they would be using?

I'm on the Lichfield Radar Corridor & Military pass my location most days & it would be nice to see where they are in case of a photo opportunity as they pass.
I'm a total noob with this stuff and the learning curve has been steep  but I'm enjoying all aspects of the hobby much more than I expected. My VRS reports show 4k+ lines daily on my closed system atm and checking details and filling in the blanks is keeping me very busy.

Got DragonOS running now, lots to learn  :)

Anmer

I run PiAware on an RPi.  This feeds my data to Flightaware which returns all MLAT plots to which I contribute.  This data is available on port 30005 for VRS to use:

https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/about
Here to Help.

jonboy1081

Hi Clubba,

Most MLAT positions are back fed from FlightAware or ADSBx as far as I know, you could try making a merged feed for your recievers and then tick "MLAT" on each receiver and see if that helps.

I use DragonOS as my main server running HFDL, VRS etc and also my remote receivers, if you need any help feel free to drop me a PM. :)

Cheers

Clubba

Hi Jonboy
It's the install of new packages and running commands I'm struggling with as they all seem to be geared towards raspi
I could really do with some help especially when I go into mind overload  :)
I'm going to need at least 4 raspi the way things are going  ??? running 3 desktop PCs and 2 laptops 24/7  is getting too expensive!
Going to see if I can install VRS on Dragon today and work from there.

Just got DumpVDL2 running and trying to figure out what other Aero packages are installed in this DragonOS atm
I would like to add ACARS Hub but it's blowing my mind  :-\
I did want gr air modes too but it isn't included in this distro

I never got off the ground with Linux in the past as I had no real use for it, all the Ham software I use is available for Windows.
Ham radio has been sidelined now as I really want to get Linux Aero decoding sorted so I can continue building a new desptop console to put all this new gear on.
I've always been a digi decoder since the early 80s but this Aero stuff is on a different level, so many different aspects and frequencies to grasp and I want to do it all  ;D

@Anmer I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pay OTT for a raspi very soon and go the Flightaware route, geekpi are cheaper but do they do what I want?