Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 02:29:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

Best plug and play device for sharing

Started by Roadrunner, October 08, 2023, 01:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadrunner

Hi there, I am looking for a ready to go (Plug and Play) device that can be plugged direct into the modem to then feed plane plotter, etc. Has anyone got any ideas? I know Plane Finder have such a device which will feed them and plane plotter (which I already have a subscription for the service). but I want to purchase outright such a device. I once got a Raspberry pie set up for FR24 but it was obtain ready to go from a friend but it died and I don't have the skill to sort out a new one myself.
Up till now, I have been using an SBS-3, but also have , unused recently an Aurora Eurotech SSr 3D and a Radar Box. these will be for sale once I get any new system up and running.

Anmer

Hi Mike

What's wrong with your RPi?

I don't know of any "plug and play" device that you only need to plug in and off you go.

You need a receiver, computer and software to process the received messages.  And feeder software to upload the data to wherever you want it to be shared.

As for PlanePlotter, to the best of my knowledge, it's only available to run on a Windows operating system.

What do you want to achieve?
Here to Help.

Faramir

Well, there's one device I know that has it all in one box. Jetvision's Air!Squitter is self contained with built-in feeder software but is has a spicy price tag!

Roadrunner

Faramir, Anmer,

PlaneFinder on their website show a self contained unit which plugs into your Modem and says can feed Plane Finder and Planeplotter, as well as the free option if you can fill gaps in their coverage, they also mention a direct sales one. Way back on radarspotting there was reference to buying one at £299. I have asked them about availablility but so far not received feedback

I do have an Aurora Eurotech which plugs into my Den PC and can feed planeplotter, same with my SBS3, but I want to see that feed on planeplotter on my laptop in other parts of the house. I have been using Team Viewer for looking at an image of the Den PC but my eyesight is suffering due to the small images on the laptop doing this. When I open Plane Finder or FR24 direct on my laptop I have more control power the size of the image and thus
save my eyesight.
Regards
Mike

Anmer

I suspect the Pane Finder "free" receiver is based on a RPi and includes a built in receiver.

You can achieve the same results using and RPi and SDR receiver.

I have an RPi and ProStick.  The RPi is connected to my home network and I can run Basestation and Planelotter off it, on any PC connected to the same network.

Is your RPi defective or does it need setting up?
Here to Help.

Roadrunner

Anmer,

My raspberry pie I had was connected to FR24, I only got one so that I could feed them after they stopped allowing use of SBS3 as a feeder. With my computer skills so a friend, unfortunately he has moved away and I have lost contact. this was a few years ago and it gave up the ghost and I tried to get it going but ended up giving the rpi to a friend and stopped feedinmg FR24.

I would get another as it was great while it worked, and I am prepared to fork out for one again.

regards Mike

Roadrunner

Anmer,

I have just had a look round in my Den (commonly referred to as the tip by my wife!) and find I have got both  Yellow & blue Flight Aware sticks  in a box of spares and connectors. I have spoken to my Brother in law in the NE and he has an RPi 4 2gb. which he will post to me.

Anmer

Hi Mike

Let us know when you nhave the RPi and we can get you setup.

Do you only want to share with Plane Finder and PlanePlotter?
Here to Help.

Roadrunner

Anmer,

Sorry it has taken a while to reply but I had my Covid & flu jabs on Monday and have been under the weather since. I would like to share with PP and Plane finder, yhat is the general idea, I already have both. Hopefully, the devise will arrive within a day or so.

Regards

Mike

Anmer

Thanks Mike.  Had both jabs yesterday but no ill effects, so far!
Here to Help.