Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 07:07:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

AD Lite very sluggish?

Started by geodementia, October 10, 2012, 12:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geodementia

Hi all,

I'm a new starter with ADS-B monitoring...  My setup is Windows 7 (32 bit), BaseStation v171 installed in C:\BaseStation, and the latest ADLite.  My problem is that when I click the Run button to start collection/population of data, ADL freezes and goes into a Not Responding state.
Up until I click Run everything is fine - ADL can see my basestation.sqb and looks fine.

If I leave it in this Not Responding state for long enough, it does actually start working, and successfully retrieves data for aircraft received and updates my basestation.sqb file, however ADL is still very slow to respond to anything - for example if I minimize it, I can't then restore the window.

Resource manager doesn't show anything hogging CPU or memory...
Anyone got any ideas on where to look to figure out why ADL is behaving like this?

Cheers,
Geoff

Anmer

Welcome Geoff

How long has Basestation been running (since the last start) when you open AD Lite? And do you AP running?

What timeout settings do you have in Basestation?
Here to Help.

geodementia

Basestation's been up for some time before I'm trying to start AD - At least 30 minutes whilst I've been playing with this tonight. 

I haven't touched any timeout settings, so they will all be default - are these the ones under Data Settings?  If so:  Position Lost=30  Remove=300  Signal Lost=5  Delete=1800
Under Database, Purge Flights Table is unchecked.

Not sure on what you mean by AP ?

Cheers,
Geoff

Anmer

AP is the Autopoulate icon in AD Lite.

Your timeout settings look fine.

Have you run any housekeeping on the Basestation.sqb database?
Here to Help.

geodementia

Ahh OK..    Yes, AP is on, and no housekeeping of the DB has been performed.
It's a new installation (only built the system from the OS up on Sunday) so I wouldn't think any housekeeping would be needed yet?   I'm not near a major airfield and only have overflights at the moment using the standard SBS antenna on a filing cabinet - only 53 entries in the DB so far  :D

Attached screenshot of ADLite in it's Not Responding state with what seems to be valid data being collected - it does seem to be running, even if it is running slow....

Cheers,
Geoff

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]

Anmer

Try removing AD Lite and reinstalling.

As you say, the DB should be OK.

I have 344 aircraft on my map and AD Lite starts OK after Basestation has been running for days.
Here to Help.

geodementia

OK, I removed and re-installed ADLite, and it did seem to make a slight difference - I was able to navigate around inside AD whilst it was gathering data for a short time, but when I came back to it it's gone into zombie-land again.  It is still working in the background - if I just leave it alone it foes refresh and show new data, and BaseStation is showing the updated data in a speedy manner...  No idea why ADLite is acting the way it is...  I'll just have to live with it for now I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Regards,
Geoff

Anmer

I assume nothing else is running that's upadating the Basestation database?
Here to Help.

Klaus

Your attached pic is looking familiar to me. My workaround on w7/64 for this is to install ADL in compatibility-mode with wxp/sp2-settings AND LET IT RUN, cos after closing ADL i'm experiencing the same problems, as you do, if i start ADL again.

To state this clear: On my w7/64 computer i'm starting and running ADL from the compatibility-dialog. I haven't found another way to run ADL with compatibilitysettings. The lower window doesn't have sliders anyway.

Therefore i uninstall/reinstall ADL once a day.

Well, this workaround is not the philosopher's stone, but ...  ;)

Klaus

Found ActiveDisplayLite.exe and trying it with compatibility now.    ???