Welcome to Radarspotting. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 11:56:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Members

New Members

You should get an activation email when you join.  If not, please use the Contact option.

GNS 5890 Range Reports

Started by GregHudson, December 14, 2012, 10:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregHudson

Just a follow up on the performance of the GNS 5890 running from my location, Donvale, Victoria Australia...
I've had it running non stop for 4 days now (11 to 15 Dec 2012), and using the adsbScope software with the Menu Item 'View / Maximum Range' option enabled, built up a very good picture of the actual range of my setup. (GNS 5890, 7db base antenna and Andrews Heliax coax)

See adsbScope screen grab below.

I'm not sure exactly what the different colors represent, but I'm guessing they are varying flight levels.
As you can see, I'm receiving signals up to 225 Nautical Miles in a North Westerly direction.
I have hills blocking view in all other directions - but still not bad !

Maximum frame rate (I have observed) is now 7500 frames per minute.

Regards, Greg.

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]
Hardware: Asus eeePC, GNS 5890 adsb decoder, Mobile One SAN-1090 base antenna, Andrews Heliax ultra low-loss 50 ohm coax with factory fitted N connectors.
Software: adsbScope, FlightRadar24 feeder. FR24 feed code = T-YMMB2

MB

That's interesting, Greg. I will do the same from my Auckland NZ location soon when I get the opportunity. I initially ran adsbScope but changed to PlanePlotter soon after verifying that the receiver actually worked. I didn't get to try the maximum range feature. I really like PlanePlotter and got used to using it because the lite version came with my previous PGR receiver and lately have been playing around setting up sharing.
Regards,
Maurice

mezoo

Good idea - to show the range in a very different location from yours I am posting current results.

Personally I dont use adsbscope from Strut anymore so instead I can show you the plots made with SBSPlotter. This program can be used with any program that gives a server output (e.g. Planeplotter and adsbscope).

The first plot was made with my old antenna location, the second and third plots are from my current antenna position which is on the other side of the house and about 1m higher. As you can see the range extended considerably by this 'simple' measure. I am still using the original GNS antenna and the original cable and it is the cable which is currently restricting the antenna height.

My plot has a distinct north - south profile due to the hilly areas to the east and south and local obstructions to the west.

I live close to EDLW where traffic is relatively low. However some of the traffic to and from Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Paris and London pass through my area. In addition there are also three other regional airports in a 100km radius.  My longest range corresponds the flights coming from Scandinavia (Oslo, Stockholm) which are sometimes picked up when they are still over the Baltic Sea.

Things can get quite busy during the weekday "rush hour" and when tracking over 40 aircraft simutaneously the frame rates go up to 12000 (according to Adsbscope) or over 240 messages per minute (according to Planeplotter).

[Attachment deleted by Admin to save file space]